Using Evernote as a blogging platform?

Has anyone done much thinking about this? The only thing missing for me is a commenting system.

My blog host was down tonight so I just wrote in Evernote and shared a link to the note on Twitter. I kinda love how the new shared note pages look. Any thoughts on what I could do about comments?

I am not a programmer, but would it be possible to selectively add Disqus comments to shared notes?

• Level 5*

So far as I can see EN is good for sharing thoughts out, not so good for gathering responses; as example, the Evernote team boast that they actively use EN themselves to run their daily lives, so they're improving facilities for their own benefit as well as ours. But they still use this external discussion board for feedback. (Evernote is supposed to be your external brain, not your ears...)

You mention you're not a programmer, so I'd forget the idea of embedding Disqus in a note - might be possible with html code, but you'd have to get down and dirty to make it work. The only easy option I think is to have a link to an external website which hosts a forum like this one - there's quite a lot of software for forums if you search around...

• 1 month later...

I'm a bit late to the conversation, but I've been doing this for over a year. You can download the software from my GitHub page here: https://github.com/matigo/Noteworthy

There are still a bunch of things I'm working on, but you can see with my personal blog that the software is quite snappy. You can specify which notebooks get published and, yes, Disqus is used for commenting.

Let me know if you have any questions.

I'm a bit late to the conversation, but I've been doing this for over a year. You can download the software from my GitHub page here: https://github.com/matigo/Noteworthy

There are still a bunch of things I'm working on, but you can see with my personal blog that the software is quite snappy. You can specify which notebooks get published and, yes, Disqus is used for commenting.

Thanks for sharing. You've got a really nice looking site.

What I'm looking for, though, is that actual look of a shared Evernote note, with comments at the bottom. Like this, for example. Any idea if that's possible? I'd like to use the Evernote storage I already pay for but be able to host some conversation underneath it. What do you think?

Using the Evernote storage you already pay for? Hmm ... that would make a self-hosted solution darn near impossible. There are web-wrappers that could be used, but that would be inefficient. Perhaps this is something the Evernote guys would have to build into their system directly.

That said, if you would like to use Noteworthy and have a site design just like the example you provided, a custom theme could be created.

Personally I'd like to see a post to Wordpress or Tumblr function.

Products like Pocket handle this well.

I agree that Evernote would be a great blogging platform particulate if this could be handled at a Notebook level. (i.e. a dedicated Notebook for say Wordpress).

• Level 5*

Not quite the same thing, but have a look at Scriptogram - a blogging platform that integrates with a folder in DropBox. (Actually several similar apps exist - see here)

Most seem to use markdown for formatting, so drafting could be done in Evernote, or you could use the DB folder as an Import Folder to keep a copy of your posts in Evernote..

I agree that Evernote would be a great blogging platform particulate if this could be handled at a Notebook level. (i.e. a dedicated Notebook for say Wordpress).

This is how Noteworthy works, grabbing content only from the Notebooks you specify. Anything else would be terrifying (considering how I keep many of my medical receipts and other private documents in Evernote).

I can see how WordPress integration would work, as that could be a plugin on a timer, but how would the Tumblr function work? That sounds like it would be either yet another application, or a browser plugin that can act as a bridge between the two services ...

Cool site BTW. :D

• 4 months later...
  • Level 5*

Hmmn - thanks! That's rather impressive from all points of view.  Good content,  nice layout (OK - could be better,  but as you say it's still beta) and - probably most important - there's very little of that garish Evernote branding that is a bit overpowering (sorry guys).

OK that's me for a definite sign-up;  I've needed a bloggy thing for a while...

• 3 months later...

Hello sorry I can't see how to download your code without a release in GitHub or how can I dload all folders and files at once.

Downloading can be done by choosing the "Download ZIP" button on the right hand side.

pz5mc-WY.png

Cheers,

• 3 months later...

Archived