Request: save sorting in saved searches

richardsugg

Idea

16 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
On 2017-04-24 at 9:28 PM, OSAddict said:

Specifically, I would like to use the TSW (The Secret Weapon) method for work and home. Without this or an option to sort by tags on iOS, I can't really adopt it for work. Which is just a shame. 

I found the TSW sort by tags a hack, and it only worked on the Win/Mac platforms
I use alternate methods to identify my high priority tasks; for example a saved search shorttcut to identify my Now tasks

+1

I really want to start to use Evernote for more than just a dumping ground for content at home. Specifically, I would like to use the TSW (The Secret Weapon) method for work and home. Without this or an option to sort by tags on iOS, I can't really adopt it for work. Which is just a shame. 

Related to this, on Mac, there is no option to sort by tag. You can click on the tag title, but it doesn't persistent and you constantly have to click on the tag title as you switch from notebooks or save searches. 

What is proposed here would help on all platforms without having to build special UI elements to every platform to enable sorting by tags.

+1

Search and sort is good. --- Search, sort, and show a view specified by the user is better.

I am frequently changing searches, sort orders, and views depending on my task at hand.

Every database program I have every used provided the capability to do all three with a single click. - - - Some programs call it a "macro", some a "procedure", and some a "program". The term "Shortcut" would work, too. 

I can't, of course, say so for sure, but I'd guess that this is feature would not be a huge amount of work for the Evernote development team. All I'm talking about is allowing a user to specify one of his Saved Searches, selecting a sort field and order using the standard Evernote methods, selecting a view using the standard Evernote view options, and saving the 3 selections for future use.

Evernote is a fairly mature product. While there will more enhancements released. However, it must be challenging for the development team to come up with a dramatically new feature. I think the feature I described would generate a lot of "wows" from the user base.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, DTLow said:

My script to save sort sequence with searches is documented here

Some ideas for enhancement:

Instead of hard-coding your searches in the AppleScript code, you could save them in an Evernote Note, in CSV format, then read that Note from your AppleScript.  This should make it much easier to maintain your saved searches.

You could also use the same basic approach, but first select the search in this Note.  Then your AppleScript could copy that text, and process the search.

• Level 5*

I'd like to see this feature too.

In the meantime, we are Mac users, we are omnipotent
When I want a feature not available in Evernote, I write up an Applescript to address it.
My script to save sort sequence with searches is documented here

• Level 5*
On 3/1/2016 at 6:17 AM, composer said:

And can a moderator please update the upvotes

Nope, no can do, and you really don't want anyone messing with the vote count.

Everyone who wants this feature needs to go to the top of this page and click on the Up Vote button:  EN-Forum-Up-Vote.png.eaf9c6c8398a8943a7e

• Level 5*

Moved to Mac Product Feedback

Its a good idea, people have also been asking for it on a per-notebook basis, but it even makes more sense for to saved searches,

There's a voting button at the top of the thread - please signal your approval by up-voting.

Ooo - I just found a better example!  I usually mark todo items with a check box and tag them with an estimated time to complete (5, 10, 15, 30, 45, 60). If you added sort by to save searches you could specify the order to sort the tags. Something like this:

todo:false sortbytag:@work,@home  sortbytag:5,10,15,30,45,60

Something like sorting data in excel, where you can specify the first level sort and a second (or third or more) levels of sort.  With the sort above all notes would sort into @work and @home, and then within those groups, it would sort by the time tag.  Notes without corresponding tags would be placed last within each group.

I have many saved searches, but as it is I have to have duplicate searches for different contexts when a simple sort operator would fix this problem. Here's an example.

Here is the search for work items to do that might take 5 minutes: todo:false tag:5 tage:@work -tag:sd 
Here is the search for home items to do that might take 5 minutes: todo:false tag:5 tag:@home -tag:sd

If I could just sort the search by a tag, something like: sortbytag:@   then I would eliminate the need to have separate searches for different contexts (home/work/project etc).

Evernote PLEASE do add this to saved searches! It would add a whole world of additional usability. Thanks

Archived