Few questions/suggestions from an Evernote newbie

I've started using Evernote across my Windows 7 and Android devices over the last week and have a few questions:

1. On Android, is it possible to simply tap on a note and be able to edit it directly without having to tap the pencil icon and then having a separate area to edit a line? Evernote works well for my purposes but this is my biggest gripe with it - I find this layout really slows me down when I simply want to make a quick, minor edit to a note!

2. On Android, is there any way of inserting a horizontal line? Or using the other features in the editing toolbar of the desktop version (e.g. strikethrough, bullet lists etc)? This is something I use quite a lot and would need in a mobile client.

3. On Windows, is it possible to get rid of the system tray icon? I have Evernote pinned to the taskbar and am generally not too keen on applications which insist on placing themselves in the system tray too...

4. On Windows, is there any way of getting Evernote to sync when you load the program? It seems the most logical time to do it, especially when you've just made some changes on mobile devices but there doesn't seem to be a way of automatically doing it?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Hi Andy, welcome to the forum :)

1. It isn't possible to edit with one tap, and what you describe (separate area to edit a line) sounds like you are running into unsupported formatting. There are some formats (Horizontal line is one example) that aren't supported for editing, so you are forced to edit around the items.

2. Horizontal Lines/Strikethrough are not available in the Android client.

3. Not that I am aware of. The tray icon is needed when EN is running (IIRC it is related to background syncing, shortcuts etc). Perhaps you could hide it?

4. Not without some manual tinkering. Take a look at this thread:

Scott

Thanks for the reply Scott :)

I would really love one-touch editing to be added to a future version of the Android client and yes, virtually all of my notes do contain horizontal lines. I have to say, I think it's incredible that one version of Evernote doesn't support formatting produced by another version even if they are on different platforms. Hoping these issues can be rectified at some point soon! The Android client has already been optimized for tablets so I'd love to have all the editing functionality that's already available on the desktop.

I could hide the tray icon but then I have the extra icon for hidden tray items (I normally show all icons in the tray so I know exactly what's running at-a-glance). And thanks for the startup sync tip, that worked great!

• 2 years later...

Archived