(Archived) Help with notebook search in Evernote 5.0

BethTana

Idea

Hi everyone,

I need some help with the search system in Evernote 5.0. I'm typing the query rather than using the drop down options that bring up the grey "lozenges". I used to type in to the search box notebook:x tag:y to give me all notes tagged y that are in notebook x. I can't seem to get it to work in the new Evernote. It shows me all notes tagged y irrespective of what notebook they're in. I've done some testing and it seems to be the notebook end of the search that's giving me trouble, but only in some notebooks.

For some notebooks the search notebook:x brings up all notes within that notebook, which is what I would expect. For other notebooks, it brings up every single note in my collection! I can't work out the difference between the notebooks that work and the notebooks that don't work - it doesn't seem to matter whether they're at the top level or in a stack, whether they've been updated/changed/renamed since the upgrade, whether they have one or more words in the name, how many notes they contain, etc. I'm a bit stumped - I'm not a techie particularly!

It's not the end of my world; it works just fine with the dropdown lozenge options (so far); it just takes a bit longer.

Is this behaviour a bug or is the notebook search syntax no longer supported/changed?

Thanks,

Elizabeth

3 replies to this idea

Hold that thought... I've figured it out :-)

Searches are now case sensitive. So for a notebook named "Test" if I type notebook:test it gives me everything (I would expect it to give me nothing, but that's OK). If I type notebook:Test it gives me everything in the Test notebook as expected.

Problem solved.

Thanks everyone :-)

EDIT: I guess that means I'd better go through my notebooks and tags and make sure everything is either capitalised or not, 'cause I'll NEVER remember which is which off the top of my head! LOL

• Level 5*

Hold that thought... I've figured it out :-)

Searches are now case sensitive. So for a notebook named "Test" if I type notebook:test it gives me everything (I would expect it to give me nothing, but that's OK). If I type notebook:Test it gives me everything in the Test notebook as expected.

Problem solved.

Thanks everyone :-)

EDIT: I guess that means I'd better go through my notebooks and tags and make sure everything is either capitalised or not, 'cause I'll NEVER remember which is which off the top of my head! LOL

lozenges, LOL. Here is some advice: Singular or plural. Capatilized or lower cased. International date format. If you are consistent about these in titles, tags, and notebook names, then your life will be easier in Evernote.

I recommend singular, because it is shorter. I recommend lowercase, because it is easier, especially on mobile. And intermational dates with yyyymmdd (I prefer yymmdd) at the beginning of titles, for example, will allow you to arrange notes chronologically.

Archived