(Archived) Do not want Evernote 5 for Windows if it is like the Mac version

EdH

• Level 5*

Melanie Pinola at LifeHacker just wrote up a quick tidbit on EN5 for the mac and was pretty positive - http://lifehacker.co.../?post=54316282

Then, in a comment to her own post, said this:

Melanie Pinola 4 hours ago

What do you guys think of the new version?

Unfortunately, one of the things I was afraid of with this update seems to be true: It's harder to select multiple tags to quickly drill down through your notes. You can go into the tag view to do that, but that's an extra step. Showing the full list of tags on the left panel, you can't select more than one. Hopefully, Evernote will fix that, because it's one of the app's best features.

And then this unpleasant comment was posted:

ptomblin1 1 of 2 replies @Melanie Pinola 4 hours ago

I had the same reaction - this upgrade totally kills the "Getting Things Done"/"The Secret Weapon" workflow. I clicked on my saved search ""Work Now", which brings up the note(s) tagged "1-Now" and "@Work". Now I want to switch to searching for the ones tagged "2-Next" instead of "1-Now", and so I click on the "1-Now" and change it to "2-Next", and it changes, but it doesn't actually perform the search. I can find no way to perform the search. And if you want to clear out the search and do it the old fashioned way, you can't just type "tag:2-Next" anymore, you have to click on "Add Search Option->Tag->2-Next->Add" and then "Add Search Option->Tag->@Work->Add". Yeah, that's *so* much easier than typing "tag:". Oh, and tags aren't nested or grouped any more either.

Tags are no longer nested and grouped? You cannot multi-select tags to filter? And The Secret Weapon flow has been killed? And why can you not type tag: any longer? Are all other search terms gone too?

Sign me up to use Evernote 4.5.10 for a very VERY long time if this holds true on Windows.

• Level 5*

Melanie Pinola at LifeHacker just wrote up a quick tidbit on EN5 for the mac and was pretty positive - http://lifehacker.co.../?post=54316282

Then, in a comment to her own post, said this:

Melanie Pinola 4 hours ago

What do you guys think of the new version?

Unfortunately, one of the things I was afraid of with this update seems to be true: It's harder to select multiple tags to quickly drill down through your notes. You can go into the tag view to do that, but that's an extra step. Showing the full list of tags on the left panel, you can't select more than one. Hopefully, Evernote will fix that, because it's one of the app's best features.

And then this unpleasant comment was posted:

ptomblin1 1 of 2 replies @Melanie Pinola 4 hours ago

I had the same reaction - this upgrade totally kills the "Getting Things Done"/"The Secret Weapon" workflow. I clicked on my saved search ""Work Now", which brings up the note(s) tagged "1-Now" and "@Work". Now I want to switch to searching for the ones tagged "2-Next" instead of "1-Now", and so I click on the "1-Now" and change it to "2-Next", and it changes, but it doesn't actually perform the search. I can find no way to perform the search. And if you want to clear out the search and do it the old fashioned way, you can't just type "tag:2-Next" anymore, you have to click on "Add Search Option->Tag->2-Next->Add" and then "Add Search Option->Tag->@Work->Add". Yeah, that's *so* much easier than typing "tag:". Oh, and tags aren't nested or grouped any more either.

Tags are no longer nested and grouped? You cannot multi-select tags to filter? And The Secret Weapon flow has been killed? And why can you not type tag: any longer? Are all other search terms gone too?

Sign me up to use Evernote 4.5.10 for a very VERY long time if this holds true on Windows.

I believe the tag issue is a bug that unintentionally gummed up the gears of the secret weapon gtd folks. See this post of mine in response to the report.

http://discussion.ev...00/#entry169895

I think 5.0 on Mac is a step forward, and you Windows folks are in for a real treat if you get stuff like Shortcuts and the ability to search shared notebooks along with your own notebooks. However, in my opinion Windows is far ahead of all the other clients in terms of productivity, and judging by their trajectory up to this point, it is unlikely they will be adopting some of the more controversial features of the OSX version, like the lack of a vertical list view, the abandonment of navigational arrows, the loss of note counts, etc.

I'm hoping that OSX and Windows will glean the best features from one another to developer better apps with more parity (http://discussion.ev...or-all-clients/). You Windows folks could use some of the sweet iconic grayness of the Mac app. Or, in line with some of the Windows Surface keyboard colors, maybe some hot pink racing stripes are in order for the next update :)

• Level 5*

GM, I hope so. The loss of searching using "tag:" would also be a major deal for me.

And no more tag hierarchy? Is that also a bug?

It is very frustrating to see my favorite app on Windows and iOS take steps backwards by removing features.

• Level 5*

Also, no sense in worrying about the unknown. If you look at iOS and Android, the clients are very different.

Worrying about the unknown is the only thing worth worrying about. Worrying about the known just makes no sense. :lol:

• Level 5*

@GrumpyMonkey,

Are you Mac and PC, or primarily Mac only?

-- roschler

Mac, iOS, Android, and Windows in that order. I love the Windows functionality, but on my very poorly spec'd devices, nothing can be said to run well. I am contemplating a full switch back to Windows (sell the MBA and get ?), but extracating myself from the Appleverse will be difficult. I think the new Mac interface is attractive, and I think the Mac team did a great job, but some of the design decisions simply don't fit my use case / workflow well (). I am aiming for June 2013 for the switch (if I end up doing it).

@GrumpyMonkey,

-- roschler

Mac, iOS, Android, and Windows in that order. I love the Windows functionality, but on my very poorly spec'd devices, nothing can be said to run well. I am contemplating a full switch back to Windows (sell the MBA and get ?), but extracating myself from the Appleverse will be difficult. I think the new Mac interface is attractive, and I think the Mac team did a great job, but some of the design decisions simply don't fit my use case / workflow well (http://discussion.ev...or-all-clients/). I am aiming for June 2013 for the switch (if I end up doing it).

Do you have Parallels or Fusion on your Mac(s)?

-- roschler

• Level 5*

@GrumpyMonkey,

-- roschler

Mac, iOS, Android, and Windows in that order. I love the Windows functionality, but on my very poorly spec'd devices, nothing can be said to run well. I am contemplating a full switch back to Windows (sell the MBA and get ?), but extracating myself from the Appleverse will be difficult. I think the new Mac interface is attractive, and I think the Mac team did a great job, but some of the design decisions simply don't fit my use case / workflow well (http://discussion.ev...or-all-clients/). I am aiming for June 2013 for the switch (if I end up doing it).

-- roschler

Neither. I have very little disk space left, and I am still devating what to do. Maybe this is the best solution for me. I'll give a try over the holidays.

Also, no sense in worrying about the unknown. If you look at iOS and Android, the clients are very different.

Worrying about the unknown is the only thing worth worrying about. Worrying about the known just makes no sense. :lol:

There's no sense in "worrying" about anything at all, future and past are illusional constructs of the mind

• Level 5*

@GrumpyMonkey,

-- roschler

-- roschler

I think the Windows client (Parallels) is going to be the way to go for me, because it seems better suited to my use case. Here are some screenshots.

https://www.evernote...95698bf3329fdbd

The Mac folks have developed a great product, but I think it is just going in a different direction, and doesn't offer enough features for my needs right now. Although I'll still be using it, I imagine I'll spend most of my time with Windows until we can get a bit more parity. The gap between the two isn't huge. It is large enough to matter, though. In particular, the lack of forward/backward buttons (such a tiny thing) was the kick in the rear I needed to put Parallels on my computer and do this. Now I can use my personal wiki again and all is well in the world :)

@GrumpyMonkey,

-- roschler

-- roschler

I think the Windows client (Parallels) is going to be the way to go for me, because it seems better suited to my use case. Here are some screenshots.

The Mac folks have developed a great product, but I think it is just going in a different direction, and doesn't offer enough features for my needs right now. Although I'll still be using it, I imagine I'll spend most of my time with Windows until we can get a bit more parity. The gap between the two isn't huge. It is large enough to matter, though. In particular, the lack of forward/backward buttons (such a tiny thing) was the kick in the rear I needed to put Parallels on my computer and do this. Now I can use my personal wiki again and all is well in the world :)

Thanks for that GrumpyMonkey. One last question, do you ever have a need to do mixed AND/OR logic searches? Or is that unimportant or relatively unimportant to you?

-- roschler

• Level 5*

@GrumpyMonkey,

-- roschler

-- roschler

Thanks for that GrumpyMonkey. One last question, do you ever have a need to do mixed AND/OR logic searches? Or is that unimportant or relatively unimportant to you?

-- roschler

That is something I usually do with Spotlight (http://www.princeton.edu/~cmayo/evernote-spotlight-search.html).

• Level 5*
That is something I usually do with Spotlight (http://www.princeton...ght-search.html).

Thanks for that. So Mac users do have a way to do AND/OR searches. I've seen a few threads and it looks like people didn't know that (Mac users).

-- roschler

Yeah. It is fairly obscure, and that is why I made that web page. I think most Mac users don't even know about Spotlight :)

The cool thing about Evernote for Mac is that the database is stored in a way that enables Spotlight to index it. This is hugely beneficial, because it gives you more powerful search options like this, and it means you might be searching for X on your drive as part of a project expecting to just find Word documents and the like, and serendipitously come across a related note in Evernote. In Windows, if you are not using Evernote to do a search, then you won't find it.

Yeah. It is fairly obscure, and that is why I made that web page. I think most Mac users don't even know about Spotlight :)

The cool thing about Evernote for Mac is that the database is stored in a way that enables Spotlight to index it. This is hugely beneficial, because it gives you more powerful search options like this, and it means you might be searching for X on your drive as part of a project expecting to just find Word documents and the like, and serendipitously come across a related note in Evernote. In Windows, if you are not using Evernote to do a search, then you won't find it.

That's probably because Evernote uses the open source SqlLite3 database and Mac/Spotlight supports it too, a lucky stroke for Mac users. Windows could have a similar capability if someone added Evernote support to Windows 7's federated search facility, but that has not been done yet.

-- roschler

• 1 month later...

Jackolicious -- are you guys going to bring back multiple tag selection and tag highlighting in the left side bar for EN 5 for Mac? This is a MASSIVE disappointment. The new functionality just is not as efficient or intuitive. Having to search by tag takes too long (I don't want to set up saved searches for all combos either), and having to select "tags" and then only be able to see tags in the right hand window instead of being able to see my sidebar, note list, and selected note ALL at the same time is a dealbreaker.

I started looking at Springpad and then decided to keep Evernote #1 reason for the multiple tag filter functionality on the sidebar, and planned on upgrading to Premium so i could collaborate on notebooks. You guys made EN more like Springpad and in doing so took away your huge advantage over them. I use TSW/GTD system and if Evernote can't support that well anymore, might as well switch to Springpad now as I can collaborate both ways on notebooks with my boyfriend without having to upgrade.

• Level 5*
That is something I usually do with Spotlight (http://www.princeton...ght-search.html).

Thanks for that. So Mac users do have a way to do AND/OR searches. I've seen a few threads and it looks like people didn't know that (Mac users).

-- roschler

While Spotlight can do AND/OR searches, it is NOT the same thing as being able to do them directly in Evernote.

We need to be able to use AND/OR with searches on the Evernote metadata fields, such as Tags, Date Updated, Date Created, Title, and other attributes like attachment type, etc.

We need to be able to create these complex AND/OR searches, store them as Saved Searches, and then be able to execute these Saved Searches on any EN client.

• Level 5*

-- roschler

While Spotlight can do AND/OR searches, it is NOT the same thing as being able to do them directly in Evernote.

We need to be able to use AND/OR with searches on the Evernote metadata fields, such as Tags, Date Updated, Date Created, Title, and other attributes like attachment type, etc.

We need to be able to create these complex AND/OR searches, store them as Saved Searches, and then be able to execute these Saved Searches on any EN client.

I agree that this would certainly be ideal. I don't get any sense that such a thing is on the horizon, though. And, I have to admit that the average user (whoever that is) probably doesn't do terribly complex searches (more than a word or two) on a regular basis. You might be surprised to hear how many people I meet only have one or two notes in their Evernote account. One guy just has a shopping list he wants to easily access. That's it. I feel like this is the equivalent of using the Starship Enterprise to commute to work. It's a shocking waste of Evernote's capabilities, but I think any XBox fan would be equally dismayed to see how little I do with mine -- I don't even own any games :)

Archived