Can I revert back to Evernote 4? 5 is terrible!

Paul T

Idea

I just installed Evernote 5 and it's HORRIBLE! I clicked on my saved search ""Work Now", which brings up the note(s) tagged "1-Now" and "@Work". Now I want to switch to searching for the ones tagged "2-Next" instead of "1-Now", and so I click on the "1-Now" and change it to "2-Next", and it changes, but it doesn't actually perform the search. I can find no way to perform the search. And if you want to clear out the search and do it the old fashioned way, you can't just type "tag:2-Next" anymore, you have to click on "Add Search Option->Tag->2-Next->Add" and then "Add Search Option->Tag->@Work->Add". Yeah, that's *so* much easier than typing "tag:". Oh, and tags aren't nested or grouped any more either.

I want my search shortcuts, working search, and nested tags back again. Meantime, I'm dumping Evernote and going back to Trello.

26 replies to this idea

AFTER BACKING UP THE DATABASE:

(...)

Again - BACK UP FIRST.

Why shall I be bothered with backing up the database? I can delete it and It should resynchronize from the cloud, doesn't it?

Any unsynchronized notes and/or local notebooks are not downloaded from the cloud, since they are not there.

I put that warning in mainly to emphasise that all the responsibility for a downgrade lies with the user, and NOT with Evernote.

Responsibility for using any piece of commercial software lies with the user.

This type of warnings are usually given by vendors when user is required to do an irreversible or potentially dangerous action. I was interested if you saw any possibility of data loss with Evernote, because to my knowledge there should be none.

This type of warning is also given when instructing others. Although there should not be any data loss, you never know what can happen. What if someone is in the middle of doing this process & their hard drive crashes...and they have local notebooks...??? What if the other user doesn't fully understand the instructions? Sure, it's easy to say the responsibility lies with the user. But that's no consolation when a user is pissed at you b/c they misunderstood the instructions & did something that caused data loss.

IMO, it's always good to have more backups than you need & it's always good advice to give others, too. I do not see any up side of critiquing another poster (fellow user) for adding reminders to backup.

I found the older version in my trash, but when I open it it says "your local Evernote data is being managed by a newer version of Evernote. Please use the newer version."

I do not want the newere version. How can I go back to the old one? 

I would really appreciate it if somebody could help me.

You can delete your locally stored copy of the database, install the old version of the app, and it will pull a new copy down from Evernote's servers.

I found the older version in my trash, but when I open it it says "your local Evernote data is being managed by a newer version of Evernote. Please use the newer version."

I do not want the newere version. How can I go back to the old one? 

I would really appreciate it if somebody could help me. 

Sorry to cross-post this, but for those desperate to roll back, here is my post from another thread. Please note all the disclaimers and warnings, that it is NOT supported by Evernote (although maybe it should be???):

For those who really want to downgrade - AFTER BACKING UP THE DATABASE - go here and select the version you need to download:

mac.filehorse.com/download-evernote/2755/old-versions/

Again - BACK UP FIRST.

But mine went very smoothly. No problems at all, and the world is good again. I've just reinstalled v3.3.0 Build 300201

All warnings to be noted, and all responsibility to the user. Not supported by Evernote - but it worked for me.

The link is dead, does anyone else have a working link? 

I need to downgrade to version 4,

Thanks!

• Level 5*

Agreed. Against all common sense I updgraded evernote 4 on android then realised what a mistake it was. Found old version as an .apk file on web and was easy to install. i wish developers would offer the option to downgrade easily.

Hi. Welcome to the forums. This thread is about the Mac client, not the Android one. I encourage you to post your feedback in the Android forums, as I am sure the developers would like to hear why you are not pleased with recent Android releases. If you would like to use old versions, you'll find links to them from threads in the Android forums (mainly betas, but I think some public release versions as well). I strongly recommend getting your Android apps from a reliable source in order to avoid malware parading as a legit .apk.

Agreed. Against all common sense I updgraded evernote 4 on android then realised what a mistake it was. Found old version as an .apk file on web and was easy to install. i wish developers would offer the option to downgrade easily.

I agree 5 is a mess. I downgraded after about 20 minutes of use.

Downgrading on mac is easy.

Go to applications. Throw the evernote application away.

Go to http://mac.filehorse.com/download-evernote/2755/old-versions/

Pick your version and download it.

Drag it into the Applications folder and launch it.

Im back to being productive.

My Evernote screen disappeared 4 times while looking through the new version. I love evernotes but 5 needs help.

Easy downgrade.

I'm reverting to an older version of Evernote also. I just lost several (research!) notes that for some mysterious reason didn't save. It isn't syncing nicely with notes my wife makes on her computer (older version of Evernonte cause she's running OS X Leopard), and it still crashes (though less than the first version 5).

I do not see any up side of critiquing another poster (fellow user) for adding reminders to backup.

Does a grammatical construction "Why ... ?" really imply criticism?

Actually you have made a good answer to my question here:

What if someone is in the middle of doing this process & their hard drive crashes...and they have local notebooks...???

Local folders make it necessary to back up.

I put that warning in mainly to emphasise that all the responsibility for a downgrade lies with the user, and NOT with Evernote.

Responsibility for using any piece of commercial software lies with the user.

This type of warnings are usually given by vendors when user is required to do an irreversible or potentially dangerous action. I was interested if you saw any possibility of data loss with Evernote, because to my knowledge there should be none.

I put that warning in mainly to emphasise that all the responsibility for a downgrade lies with the user, and NOT with Evernote. I have no affiliation with Evernote, by the way, apart from having used it since it first came out.

So a backup, while not strictly necessary, is always a good idea. And as has been pointed out, for those with large numbers of notes, it is much quicker to restore from a local backup than from the cloud.

And if all goes well, with the backup not being needed (as it did for me) then no harm done - just delete the backup!

Look upon the backup as a belt-and-braces precaution that you hope won't be needed. Always a good thing... ;)

• Level 5*

Because the databases of some of us are huge, it takes time to resynchronize from the cloud.

I don't see any reason to give warnings in capital letters for that. We are talking about backup before downgrade, right? Backup in case something goes wrong, not a method to do the downgrade.

So in case something goes wrong wouldn't it be better to let it build the database from scratch, like on a freshly bought PC, instead of trying to bring back something that you want to get rid of (that is EN 5) and trying again?

Backups are a good idea before you do any upgrade or downgrade (with Evernote or any software). I strongly recommend it. I agree with you, though, that I'd rather let Evernote rebuild the database. Unfortunately, that can take several days with large databases.

Because the databases of some of us are huge, it takes time to resynchronize from the cloud.

I don't see any reason to give warnings in capital letters for that. We are talking about backup before downgrade, right? Backup in case something goes wrong, not a method to do the downgrade.

So in case something goes wrong wouldn't it be better to let it build the database from scratch, like on a freshly bought PC, instead of trying to bring back something that you want to get rid of (that is EN 5) and trying again?

AFTER BACKING UP THE DATABASE:

(...)

Again - BACK UP FIRST.

Why shall I be bothered with backing up the database? I can delete it and It should resynchronize from the cloud, doesn't it?

Sorry to cross-post this, but for those desperate to roll back, here is my post from another thread. Please note all the disclaimers and warnings, that it is NOT supported by Evernote (although maybe it should be???):

For those who really want to downgrade - AFTER BACKING UP THE DATABASE - go here and select the version you need to download:

mac.filehorse.com/download-evernote/2755/old-versions/

Again - BACK UP FIRST.

But mine went very smoothly. No problems at all, and the world is good again. I've just reinstalled v3.3.0 Build 300201

All warnings to be noted, and all responsibility to the user. Not supported by Evernote - but it worked for me.

Archived