Import Folders and network drives

ElCoyoteSurvives

I use Import Folders extensively and have many different folders auto-sync'd this way. Now I have a new PC and am accessing these folders (still on the old PC) across the network. But Evernote does not "see" the network drives in Import Folders. Is there a way for me to set up Import Folders to auto-sync folders on network drives?

Also, is there a list someplace of all the Import Folders that I could just copy to the Evernote on my new PC, so I don't have to enter each folder separately again? Right now the list on the new PC is empty.

Also, is there a list someplace of all the Import Folders that I could just copy to the Evernote on my new PC, so I don't have to enter each folder separately again? Right now the list on the new PC is empty.

I don't know what you mean by this. Each import folder is pretty much unique to each user. Having a list of them somewhere would pretty much be irrelevant.

Thanks for the info about network drives. Regarding the Import Folders: I was referring to the list of folders I had placed in the Tools>Import Folders dialog box. I have dozens of paths in there on my old PC. I want to have the identical paths on the new PC's Evernote (right now there is nothing there), but it is a chore to enter them one at a time. First, the dialog box is small and not resizable. Second, each Add requires me to start at My Computer and drill my way down to the folder I want, instead of letting me paste a path into a text box or even remembering where I was in the last Add. So I was wondering how Evernote stores these paths and their parameters. Perhaps I could just copy something to the new PC.

With some poking around, I found a database file that seems to have this information in it (although puzzlingly the info seems to be truncated):

C:\Users\<winuser>\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Databases\<evernoteuser>.exb .

I doubt that I can copy or transfer the information from that file, but I'd be happy to be told otherwise.

• Level 5*

Usually persistent configuration information is found in the registry; in this case, it sounds like they're storing this in the Evernote note database. As far as I know, it's a sqlLite database, and you can use tools to open it up and determine its schema, and try to read the import directory information. This post might be of help: http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/18966-working-directly-with-evernote-windows-database-revisited/ (thank, Owyn, wherever you are), also this Evernote documentation page: http://dev.evernote.com/documentation/cloud/chapters/Data_structure.php

• 4 months later...

While the "Browse for Folder" dialog only shows local folders,

I've found it POSSIBLE to enter(change) the path by hand

enter path to a mapped network drive e.g. "B:\testevernote" wil WORK PERFECTLY

enter a network path like "\\DISCSTATION\home" will fail, the path somehow gets replaced to C:DISCSTATION\home

(maybe some trick can help there?)

tell me what u think

While the "Browse for Folder" dialog only shows local folders,

I've found it POSSIBLE to enter(change) the path by hand

enter path to a mapped network drive e.g. "B:\testevernote" wil WORK PERFECTLY

enter a network path like "\\DISCSTATION\home" will fail, the path somehow gets replaced to C:DISCSTATION\home

(maybe some trick can help there?)

tell me what u think

• 1 year later...

I read the request and responses: I accept the reason given (by Moderators link); I thought the mapped drive was interesting...but .. expansion of my computer in EN does not show mapped drives!  WHERE can I type in the mapped drive folder location to replace an existing import folder name? 

What am I trying to achieve?  Simply I would like to scan from my network printer to a network drive (mycloud) and then have Evernote auto collect the scanned input ..... YEP I can do this with a folder on my pc...BUT... I am trying an experiment to do away with a pc and exist the rest of my life (I am very old already!!!) with a tablet/phone/own cloud existence!

Anyone any help on how I can import(EN) from my own network drive folder automatically???

I read the request and responses: I accept the reason given (by Moderators link); I thought the mapped drive was interesting...but .. expansion of my computer in EN does not show mapped drives! WHERE can I type in the mapped drive folder location to replace an existing import folder name?

What am I trying to achieve? Simply I would like to scan from my network printer to a network drive (mycloud) and then have Evernote auto collect the scanned input ..... YEP I can do this with a folder on my pc...BUT... I am trying an experiment to do away with a pc and exist the rest of my life (I am very old already!!!) with a tablet/phone/own cloud existence!

Anyone any help on how I can import(EN) from my own network drive folder automatically???

If you read the thread, then I don't see what you're trying to do that is very different from the OP. If you're wanting to use a networked drive as an import folder, this was answered in the second post - it's not supported. If that's not what you're trying to do, then you may need to elaborate.

And, since import folders exist only on the Mac and Windows desktop clients, the client must be installed & running (not just installed and not just installed on a computer that is shut down).

• 3 months later...

HI all,

I have got this working based on the comments of AWHolmes:

1. map your network drive to a drive letter

2. create a dummy import folder entry

3. select the folder name  and it will be become editable and change it to the correct folder (with the drive letter)

And it works.

Good Luck,

Frank

Archived