Slow attachment download on wifi [iOS]

Morning all,

Just raising an issue which has been bugging me for a while. Bit of background first, this issue has presented with the following 4 setups,

1) iPhone 4S (iOS5) older evernote version

2) iPhone 4S (iOS6) older evernote version

3) iPhone 5 (iOS6) older evernote version

4) iPhone 5 (iOS6) new Evernote

Many of my notes are PDF scans as attachments. When I access these notes on the iPhone, downloading the attachment is incredibly slow - I don't mean fairly slow, I'm talking 30+ seconds to download a 100Kb attachment - for comparison the same sized attachment downloads over 3G in around 4 seconds.

Here's a couple of real (stopwatch based) times,

1) 463.8Kb note (3G download) = 25sec (~18Kb/s)

2) 600.8Kb note (wifi) = 2 MINUTES 45sec (165 sec) (~3Kbs)

Speedtest.net shows my current connection speeds at (running on the iPhone and in the same physical location as the above 2 timings)

1) 3G = 1.59Mbs down, 0.75 Mbs up

2) Wifi = 17.73Mbs down, 11.4Mbs up

This situation has been going for quite some time (and a number of application updates) - each time there is a new update I hope it will resolve this - it never does it.

To put it in perspective, whenever I want to download a note attachment - it's quicker for me to go to Settings, disable wifi, download the attachment, go back to settings and re-enable wifi!

This slowdown does not affect other apps, and the wifi slow down occurs on all the wifi networks I've tested on (home, work, coffee shop etc).

This is now getting rather annoying to say the least! Since it's presented on multiple iOS versions, multiple hardware devices and multiple wifi networks I can only conclude that the most likely candidate is Evernote its self - is there any acknowledge fault on this?

Regards,

Ryan

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Level 5

Hi,

I have the same problem today. When I want to view a pdf attachment on my iPad it takes about 5 min to download it from Evernote. Downloading the same file from Dropbox takes about 5 seconds! What a difference!

• 9 months later...

Archived