How To Write A Paper Using Evernote

gclinton

Thanks for the guide, although for me I'd actually rather use Google Drive to write up documents. You can put comments on specific works on your document and it's easier to print and send in general.

Also if I was doing a project with others we can all work on andthe same document at once.

• Level 5*

I'm a Ph.D. student and a former HS english teacher - I'm deep in paper-writing territory, and Evernote is helping me out immensely. I put together a guide for students (or teachers who want new ideas for their students):

How to write a paper using Evernote

Hope it helps.

Cheers,

Greg

Hi. Thanks for posting. That was very informative. I am still digesting it, but I noticed that you made no mention of shortcuts. For me, this feature has made a tremendous difference in how I use Evernote, because it is the ONLY place on any client (Mac, Windows, iOS, Android, etc.) where we can manually order our notes. What this means is that you can write each section of a project as a note and move it around as needed according to how the project is taking shape. This is quite powerful, and something like what we get with Scrivener (a word processor for writers).

If you put a saved search at the top for any note related to your project (maybe something like "intitle:project tag:history-101"), an "index note" (see http://www.princeton...ganization.html) after that, and then all of your paper parts, then I think Evernote becomes the perfect tool for writing. The only thing missing is the ability to tie everything together and print it at the end. That is a real shame, but very unlikely to come, so you'll probably want to title everything so that they line up in the correct order, merge everything and copy / paste into a word processor for the final draft. No big deal, in my opinion.

If you are particularly industrious, you can title everything, export as HTML, convert to text (I am not sure if you need this step, but Automator will accomplish it in a few seconds) and import into Scrivener. If you have properly formatted it (using {} for footnotes, etc.) then you could possibly go from Evernote draft to final copy in just a few minutes. I say Scrivener because it has the ability to interpret certain markup like specially bracketed sections as footnotes, so the process of going from plain text to formatted text is really easy. Of course, you can do lots of formatting in Evernote, but you cannot make footnotes, so this is where something like Scrivener comes in handy.

Early drafts of my dissertation began this way in Evernote, then I moved into Scrivener, and finally (when I needed to mess around with images, tables, etc.) I moved into Pages. If I had had Shortcuts, my dissertation could have incubated in Evernote for many months longer.

I'm a Ph.D. student and a former HS english teacher - I'm deep in paper-writing territory, and Evernote is helping me out immensely. I put together a guide for students (or teachers who want new ideas for their students):

Hope it helps.

Cheers,

Greg

Thanks for sharing this, Greg! Definitely a great look at using Evernote for papers. I use a very similar process as well for my own papers. I'll be sure to share your post with my fellow students!

Megan

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Greg,

Thank you for a sharing your tutorial for writing an academic paper. I am working with a team of researchers and instructors at the University of Rhode Island to improve students' ability to use their computers for school. Our group was impressed with your idea to use a dedicated notebook as a way to gather resources to draft a paper.

We are working with a group of 40 freshmen to help them create and use digital "personal knowledge bases," and we have tutorials on topics related to using Evernote academically. Would you mind if we incorporated a version of your tutorial in our collection? The tutorials that we've already created are located at www.evernoteaturi.wikispaces.com.

If you'd rather, we can communicate via email. My address is fogleman_at_mail.uri.edu.

• 2 months later...

Hope it helps.

Cheers,

Greg

Great tutorial Greg.  I extended your approach with suggestions for organizing a notebook around writing an academic article on my group's Personal Knowledge Management wikispace.  Though compiling the finished manuscipt is more difficiult that working through Scrivener,  Greg's approach allows authors to access their drafts across all of their platforms, allows him or her to create notelinks that connect draft segments with specific "notecards," and of course is free.

Jay Fogleman

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Greg, 

Your post was a great aid to me this last semester, so I wanted to pass on my thanks. You also helped to start me down the path to figuring out more ways to utilize Evernote in my academic interests. I've actually now started using Evernote almost as a web server to host HTML notes with my own custom hyperlinks to PDFs and other Evernote notes embedded. Its a bit confusing in short form, but inspired by your helpful tutorial, I've starting blogging about what I do and (more importantly) how I do it. 

But here, I just wanted to say thanks for helping me to discover so many uses for Evernote, 

stephen
  • 1 year later...
Posted · Hidden by Candid, June 24, 2015 - No reason given
Hidden by Candid, June 24, 2015 - No reason given

no doubt it's good but it can be easier when you get something here <a> href="https://sites.google.com/site/payforresearchpaper/">writemy research paper for me</a> . in the world of technology an individual has to remember writing step that is most important and only for <a> href="https://sites.google.com/site/payforresearchpaper/">pay for research paper</a> I am hoping this kind of producing ASSIST would be the Least difficult sole producing suppliers service many from the net.

Posted · Hidden by Candid, June 24, 2015 - No reason given
Hidden by Candid, June 24, 2015 - No reason given

Individuals should bear in mind that the actual people going over their own entrance documents have got examine a large number of documents. So that they should hire the many probable method for guarantee it stand out since the greatest. <a href="http://rushessaywriting.com/">rushessay writing</a> may help you a lot to get quality producing services having by the due date shipping and delivery.

Archived