(Archived) Evernote 5 ruins Places view

RosscoM

With Evernote 4 on iPhone, it was possible to view Places for a specific notebook.

Now, with Evernote 5, you can only view Places for ALL of your notebooks combined. This is a major step backwards in functionality, and I've reverted to the old version.

Evernote uses the example of house hunting as a good use for the product. I agree. And the Places-per-notebook view was fantastic for this. Snap a photo of each house you visit, then you can view a map that shows all the locations. Now, this is impossible, as the map will show every single note from every single notebook. Useless.

Please give us back the old functionality. Or, at least make it possible to temporarily hide notebooks so that I can exclude some notes from this view.

I hadn't noticed the multi-notebook issue, but you're right this is a major limitation.

Another problem in this (Places) view that I've noticed is the ugly combination of:

- only view choice is the least functional, the slow, innefficient, and beautiful card view

- no next/previous buttons, so walking through more than a trivial number of notes is difficult

My use case used to be simple: go to a restaurant, bring up list of notes taken here, and walk through them looking at what my wife and I had tried before. The Food app makes it easy to take notes like this. But EN5 makes it very difficult to review them, which used to be so simple.

I sure hope the beauty of Evernote 5 is attracting lots of people with simple needs. Because it is really annoying those of us who used to use it with complex ones.

• 5 weeks later...

Before 5.0 I would map my "Evernote Food" notebook by current location to see restaurants near by.

Now the only option is to map "all notes" which is almost useless. I need to tap on every note to see what it might be.

As I add more of my life to Evernote, powerful filtering becomes the most important feature.

Evernote staff please include the ability to map notes by stack, notebook or "saved search" with a way to zoom to my current location.

(Mapping is "Atlas" in MacOS, "Places" in iOS)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Sorry, travelfan, I appreciate the effort but your app is no substitute. I did try it out, but it requires you to tag every note that you want to appear in the map. And the tag has to contain the geolocation information. That's not useful, in my opinion, as Evernote has already attached the note's location so having to manually repeat it inside your tag seems silly. I'm sure there's some sort of reason, but for me, it's too much work and does not provide the great functionality that Evernote used to have before they changed the UI.

Hi, RosscoM, thank you for your feedback and try GoLater.

There is indeed the location field in Evernote desktop APP.  It may work in USA, but not in Asian countries.   As I know, Evernote will auto input coordinates of the location where we edit the note, but not the location that the note is talking about.  Since GoLater function is to collect those we would like to go later, so, the auto-input coordinates do not work for the purpose.

Evernote API does not open the location field for 3rd party, so we have to do in this alternative way.

Now GoLater has upgraded to  v1.0.3, making the click steps less to navigation mode.   Geo tag g:/address  can be input when clipping a web page by Web Clipper.  

For your old notes, it indeed needs double efforts.  

I think GoLater will be only suitable for the new notebooks that you would like to collect places to go.

The benefits to use GoLater are

1. useful around the world

2. map for a specified notebook or all notebooks you selected for GoLater(GoLater does not sync all of your notebooks)

3. navigation to the destination 

We will appreciate your feedback on this APP if you give GoLater another chance. 

With Evernote 4 on iPhone, it was possible to view Places for a specific notebook.

Now, with Evernote 5, you can only view Places for ALL of your notebooks combined. This is a major step backwards in functionality, and I've reverted to the old version.

Evernote uses the example of house hunting as a good use for the product. I agree. And the Places-per-notebook view was fantastic for this. Snap a photo of each house you visit, then you can view a map that shows all the locations. Now, this is impossible, as the map will show every single note from every single notebook. Useless.

Please give us back the old functionality. Or, at least make it possible to temporarily hide notebooks so that I can exclude some notes from this view.

I completely agree!!!

I think it was an awful step back to remove Places-per-notebook or Places-per-tag or Places-per-search. This was one of the major features and now it's absolutely useless!

I too went back to using an older version 4.4.1 on the iphone and I check every new Evernote update to see if this feature is put back.

Unfortunately - no and I don't know if there are plans to restore it.

Frankly I don't understand the reason for removing it...  Look really silly to do it...

Anyone has any idea?

The problem is - I'd like to buy an iPad but I don't have an older version of EN to install on iPad.

Also my iphone is due for upgrade soon - will I be able to use older EV 4.4.1 with new iphone - I don't know.

BTW, I discovered that it's not a problem on Android phones - works as it should!

Why not on IOS????

Can anyone suggest alternatives to Evernote that would have this feature?

• 1 month later...

Archived