(Archived) Automatic update of note's modification time

bram85

For a little while I see this - to me - unexpected behavior in the Evernote client for Windows (Desktop). I see that the "Updated" timestamp is updated whenever I simply open a note, or scroll through it. In any case, no edits are made by me. Is this intentional and are others seeing this behavior as well?

It's a small annoyance to me since I tend to sort notes by their update time.

• 2 months later...

I'm having the same problem in the Mac version of Evernote. It only seems to happen for old notes (those created on Nov 10th or before), not new ones, and only when I use Evernote 5 for Mac. Did something happen on Nov 10th that changed the way notes are stored in Evernote? Maybe a change to the ENML? I worry that it's actually making modifications and potentially losing data, so I don't want to sync until I know for sure what's happening.

I just tried with 4.6.1.7860 and I'm not seeing this behavior. I tried viewing several notes and the Updated date did not change. I then edited one of the notes and the Updated date changed to today.

Maybe everyone can post their version numbers?

-- roschler

• 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5

Is there a semantic difference between viewing and opening for update? On either platform? Maybe they thought a null change should update the timestamp. If not comparing new to old is simple, reasonably performant, and gets around there being no difference.

• 3 months later...

For a little while I see this - to me - unexpected behavior in the Evernote client for Windows (Desktop). I see that the "Updated" timestamp is updated whenever I simply open a note, or scroll through it. In any case, no edits are made by me. Is this intentional and are others seeing this behavior as well?

It's a small annoyance to me since I tend to sort notes by their update time.

I am still experiencing this issue. It does not happen every time I click on a note in the Windows client, but occurs enough for it to be an annoyance. It has been happening to me for a substantial period of time at this stage. I have not noticed the same bug on the Mac version. My Windows client is also up to date, as far as I know, version 4.6.6.8360.

Archived