(Archived) Pages and pages of tags with no notes

Because one might want to have a "to do on Monday PM" tag that one assigns notes to and subseqently removes them on a regular basis. If EN deleted the tag after the note count comes to zero, then one would have to retype the whole tag every single time.

It would be a non-issue with previous version n which you could sort by note count and then select multiple tags for deletion. With EN 5 you have to delete them one by one.

Sigh oh well good thing I do not use Evernote regularly as I would hate to have even more useless tags than I already have.

Why are you creating all these useless tags? I simply don't create useless tags. No problemo.

These so called useless tags were from notes that I created over the last 4 years. The notes were no longer wanted/needed and were deleted leaving the tags behind.

Which Evernote client do you use?

There is an option (though slightly hidden) to select all unassigned tags, allowing them to be deleted, in the Windows client.

If this applies to you:

- Close Evernote

- Press: Win + R

- In the Run window enter: evernote /DebugMenu

- In the Evernote window that opens, there should be a [Debug] menu option

- There is a Select Unassigned Tags option.

- Once selected, the tags can be deleted.

There is an option (though slightly hidden) to select all unassigned tags, allowing them to be deleted, in the Windows client.

If this applies to you:

- Close Evernote

Ok thanks. I usually use the Web or iOS clients rather than the stand alone app but may give that option a shot. Thanks again for the tip.

• Level 5*

One valid use case for unused tags: I have a number of tags that are unused by any notes, yet they are still useful. Why? Because I use them to organize (via nesting) other tags that *are* used.

If this applies to you:

- Close Evernote

Alternatively (in the Windows client):

• Make sure the left panel is showing unassigned tags (View Menu -> Show Left Panel, View Menu -> Show Unassigned Tags).
  • Each used tag has a counter next to it, unassigned tags do not. Control-click on all the unassigned tags you want to delete.
  • When all unwanted tags are highlighted, press the "Delete" key (or right-click on any of them and choose "Delete...").
  • Confirm the deletion in the pop-up dialog box.

Easy!

Archived