Evernote Collaboration settings.

Hey guys,

I was considering purchasing a premium account in order to let others have the ability to edit and add to my notes.

One quick question....does the person that I am sharing these notes with have to have a Premium account as well?

some scenarios to flush out what I am asking:

Premium originator & premium sharee = edit and collaborate permissions

<or>

Premium originator & Free version sharee = ?????? co-editing?

<or>

Free version originator & Premium sharee= ?????? co-editing?

Thanks guys

Shawn

OK...here is a cut & paste if anyone is looking for this....thanks for the answer...

Shared Notebooks

Evernote allows both free and premium users to share notebooks privately with other Evernote users. Notebooks shared by premium users have the option of being editable by the users with whom the notebook is shared. In other words, if Bob the premium user shares a notebook with Fred the free user, Bob may choose to allow Fred to edit the contents of his shared notebook.

Also....why isn't Evernote good for co-editing?

I am a teacher and several of my colleagues use Evernote and they frequently want to share their thoughts and append the notes to add and subtract sections...but can't because they are all on free accounts.

Similarly...my wife and I maintain several shared notebooks on Springpad...IE 1) Gift ideas for son, 2) Gift ideas for daughter 3) groceries etc etc. We both add ideas and items as we need them for both of us to see. Is this type of co-editing not advisable, or are you talking about more substantial documents?

I prefer Evernote as its UI is more stable and simpler (I mean that as a compliment) and many friends and colleagues use it.

This co-editing issue is the only thing holding me back from going Premium.

Shawn

• Level 5

I agree you should shy away if co-editing is critical to your work flow. You and your associates will run into edit conflicts if you working on the same document at the same time or don't sync to ensure consistency.

I see a sort of real-time co-editing...I wasn't referring to that specifically....but to editing separately on different accounts and sharing revisions over an extended period of time.

Thanks for all of the responses guys!

• Level 5

Is real-time co-editing in the works?

Evernote has tightened up it's release of all new information, so we can't say for sure.

But back in April, Phil Libin, CEO of Evernote, was quite vocal about a business program launch for Evernote in the "coming months". A word of caution: Mr Libin's term of "coming months" can be quite a bit more liberal than a user's perspective of "comming months". There were a few details mentioned back then, but nothing pertaining to co-editing.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9226665/Evernote_to_launch_tool_for_business

• 3 months later...

So .. I have to agree.  Mostly.

I am not looking for "live" collaboration on documents.  there are clearly tools (like Google Docs etc) set up for that. 

However, I believe for Evernote sharing to really be anything valuable in my eyes, it has to literally be a "shared" notebook.  Meaning, whatever users I share that notebook with have permissions that either allow them to a) just view  B) view and add NOTES to the notebook or c) view, add notes, and MODIFY/DELETE notes.

I don't know the value of the "read only" structure that has been set up.  Seems very limiting.

• 10 months later...

One of the things I am aiming to do with Evernote is to "share" notebooks between students that are taking the same classes I am taking.  For instance, if user A shares their class notebook with user B (and vice versa) that will fill in a lot of holes in class notes since no two people take the same notes or focus on the same things.  Imagine the benefits if everyone in the same class shared their class notebook with others (and vice versa).  I attend a small presbyterian seminary and the class sizes are typically 5-7 students or so.  I see great benefits to doing this.

• Level 5*

One of the things I am aiming to do with Evernote is to "share" notebooks between students that are taking the same classes I am taking.  For instance, if user A shares their class notebook with user B (and vice versa) that will fill in a lot of holes in class notes since no two people take the same notes or focus on the same things.  Imagine the benefits if everyone in the same class shared their class notebook with others (and vice versa).  I attend a small presbyterian seminary and the class sizes are typically 5-7 students or so.  I see great benefits to doing this.

Free users can already share notebooks with other users: in particular, they can share one notebook as read/write with others, and as many read-only notebooks with other as they want.
  • 9 months later...

I'm not sure I'm in the right topic, but it appears to address a couple of my questions.  We do the co-editing and it is essential.  Our only issue is that one of us will pull up the document another is editing and then save their revisions and x out the revisions by the current user.  Is there a way to prevent another user (perhaps allow them to open a read only document) if the other is editing?  This would save some headaches. 

• Level 5*

There's no explicit way to do prevent someone else from editing the same note that you're editing, but Evernote has been working at doing so automatically. For example, if I have a note open for editing on my Android device, and it's connected to the Internet, then if I open the same note on my Windows desktop, it will show a button "Editing" in the right-hand corner of the note header. Click it, and it will tell you that the note is being edited by someone else, and warn about the possibility of note conflicts, but also give you the opportunity to go ahead and edit anyways.

I don't know how robust this functionality is. I'd suggest you try out some use cases on your own, with non-critical information, before you rely on it too much.

There's no explicit way to do prevent someone else from editing the same note that you're editing, but Evernote has been working at doing so automatically. For example, if I have a note open for editing on my Android device, and it's connected to the Internet, then if I open the same note on my Windows desktop, it will show a button "Editing" in the right-hand corner of the note header. Click it, and it will tell you that the note is being edited by someone else, and warn about the possibility of note conflicts, but also give you the opportunity to go ahead and edit anyways.

I don't know how robust this functionality is. I'd suggest you try out some use cases on your own, with non-critical information, before you rely on it too much.

Thank you.  This is exactly what we need.  If we just saw that "editing" button it would be helpful.  I don't see it now, but I think I need up run an update.  I haven't done that yet.  I appreciate your help and am trying this now. 

• Level 5*

You should probably report back any cases that don't work as you'd expect. It'd probably be helpful to Evernote and to other Evernote users as well.

I did notice that if you open a note for editing on the Android client, but don't do anything to it for awhile, the note lock will expire, so you will probably need to be a bit careful. And if devices are off-line, then all bets are off, of course.

Archived