Feature Recommendation - Right Click to create and link document

USE CASE

As an IT Consultant I like to use Evernote to maintain a Master List of Projects and then Detail a Plan for each corresponding project, and then document the activity performed via a Work Log for each line item of the Detail Plan. This results in a very practical 3 tier hiararchy from an organizational perspective.

Based on some Evernote productivity recommendations out there I use a Master to Child Document approach whereby I hyperlink the Work Log note to the corresponding line item on the Detail Plan and in turn I hyperlink the Detail Plan to the corresponding line item on the Master Link of Projects.

I also use the above layered Project Management document approach for Enterprise Architecture, Software Development and other similar methodologies.

FEATURE RECOMMENDATION

Accordingly, although the Share/Copy Note URL feature of Evernote provides the means to achieve the above via several steps, I beleive a large population of users would benefit from functionality whereby:

While in an existing document, right click while highlighting a word, line items, etc, and be able to select a Create and Link a new document.

In turn the new created document can further streamline the process by inhereting the highlighted text as the Note title, the related Notebook, and perhaps a hyperlink back to the master document, to yield a threaded navigation.

I think given Evernote's inherent search, share, tag, to do functionality, the above would energize the brain dump, organize, delegate and follow-up process.

• 1 year later...

Good idea!

This would go one more step in "wikifying" Evernote and I think that would be very useful.

Next step would be to make multi-level stacks (stacks in stacks), creating a real hierarchy.

In my previous job (as intranet manager of a Very Big Organisation) I was a heavy user of Confluence wikis and I would recommend the Evernote development team to take a good look at that product :-)

Most excellent stuff, this Confluence, but too difficult to set up for the individual user, which is why I now use Evernote for similar documenting and collaboration activities in my private life.

• Level 5*

Good idea!

This would go one more step in "wikifying" Evernote and I think that would be very useful.

Next step would be to make multi-level stacks (stacks in stacks), creating a real hierarchy.

In my previous job (as intranet manager of a Very Big Organisation) I was a heavy user of Confluence wikis and I would recommend the Evernote development team to take a good look at that product :-)

Most excellent stuff, this Confluence, but too difficult to set up for the individual user, which is why I now use Evernote for similar documenting and collaboration activities in my private life.

One of the mods here is a Confluence fan. Not sure that Evernote's aim is to become a wiki, though.

• 4 months later...

Archived