selecting multiple tags within notebooks in EN 5 for mac

jb123

Idea

Just downloaded beta version of EN5 for mac and can't figure out an easy way to filter notes based on multiple tags within a notebook. In older version, you would control/command click multiples tags and notebooks in the sidebar. In EN5, that doesn't seem to work (or I can't figure it out.) Perhaps it is a bug in beta version?

I have found 3 work arounds but they are all clunky / time consuming....

option 1 - saved search or ad-hoc search. (takes longer w/ key strokes)

option 2 - select tags individually after selecting notebook via tag filter at top right of note list (clunky and time consuming)

option 3 - select multiple tags in tag view and then sort results by notebook (doesn't work for me as I need to often sort by date or note name.)

Note that I use "list" view for my notes.

Any advice is appreciated....

12 replies to this idea

I am using Evernote together with the Secret Weapon methodology, and rely heavily on being able to filter my notes by selection multiple tags.

In the previous version this was a breeze by selection multiple tags in the left sidebar. Now, in Evernote 5 (on Mac), you can only select one tag at a time in the sidebar, and there is also no highlighting to show which tag you have selected.

I know that you can see the tags selected and filter by multiple tags by clicking the little blue tag icon at the top of the notes list, but that's not user friendly at all.

Please bring back multiple tag selection and highlighting of selected tags in the left sidebar.

I've been using Evernote 5 for Mac a few months now and it's becoming less of an issue. Although I would still like to have the option.

I found out one can save a 'search' and then put a shortcut of that search in the right hand bar.

This is an option not particular clear. You need to create and save the search first. Then select the [name of] search and drag that to the side bar. Evernote team should make it more obvious to add a 'saved search' to the side bar!

I am using Evernote together with the Secret Weapon methodology, and rely heavily on being able to filter my notes by selection multiple tags.

In the previous version this was a breeze by selection multiple tags in the left sidebar. Now, in Evernote 5 (on Mac), you can only select one tag at a time in the sidebar, and there is also no highlighting to show which tag you have selected.

I know that you can see the tags selected and filter by multiple tags by clicking the little blue tag icon at the top of the notes list, but that's not user friendly at all.

Please bring back multiple tag selection and highlighting of selected tags in the left sidebar.

wow, I understand if a feature needs to be removed here and there, but this is throwing the baby and the bathwater out the window.

Dear EN Mac users (especially TSW users),

I have positive development to report- I was finally able to get this on the Evernote dev team's radar.  It kept being classified as an "improvement request" and effectively ignored.

If you are affected by this bug, please take a few minutes to submit a support ticket.  Click your name in the top right of EN Web, click Contact Support, After you briefly describe your problem, and hit the continue button, you'll taken to a page with a button to start a chat session with Evernote customer service.  Ask the Evernote representative that helps you to cross-reference your ticket with Ticket# 1039571; this is the ticket that finally got classified as a bug.  (Tickets 735309, 1039495, 1021284, 1022933 were all ineffective at getting developer attention.)  It took me 4 tickets, digging into the client .app's Cocoa .nib files, and asking to chat with a manager, but FINALLY, this is in the hands of the developers.  

If this bug bothers you, please submit a ticket (referencing ticket #1039571) so they know it's not just one wacky guy with a vendetta for sidebar highlighting :)

Archived