(Archived) upgraded to the latest mac version today and really disappointed!

evernoteuser2000

Idea

It's good to see you removed the useless AD from the Sidebar. However, why did you move the shortcut bar from the top to left sidebar? Originally I could have about 11 shortcuts on the top bar. And now? Not only that I could place only 4 on the left sidebar (as they have to share space with the Notebook List), but also I have to do a long journey fron the content area on the right (where the mouse point usually is) to the Shortcut List on the left, compared to before where Shortcut List was located on the top bar (near the content area). Do you have in mind that most your users use Wide-Screen and it's inconvenient to move mouse pointer from the right to the left just for picking up a shortcut and then from the left to the right for editing??

Besides, the top bar now cannot be customized anymore. You leave a 500px blank bar there for unknown purpose. So that's the new design? I really doubt if you have any user involvement in the development cycle? Why make decision for your users? You can't be wiser than your users, I would say.

10 replies to this idea

IWhy make decision for your users? You can't be wiser than your users, I would say.

If you think you are wiser then Evernote's Development team, develop your own app to access your Evernote database. :D

I agree, there are some serious UX/UI fails with this version.

1. No note count in tag list in sidebar (after you add it back since it's no longer there by default). Not only this, but I can't add new nested/sub tags from the left sidebar, and it's not at all user friendly to do so from the tags screen.

2. No toolbar customization

3. Recent notes and shortcuts now push my tag list (which I use most regularly) down the sidebar

I hope some of the above features can be reinstated.

3. Recent notes and shortcuts now push my tag list (which I use most regularly) down the sidebar

Under View > Sidebar Options you can choose to show or not show anything in the sidebar. So if you are not interested in Recent Notes, Shortcuts, Atlas, Trunk, etc., you can hide them.

Under View > Sidebar Options you can choose to show or not show anything in the sidebar. So if you are not interested in Recent Notes, Shortcuts, Atlas, Trunk, etc., you can hide them.

Thank you so much for that! Goodbye Shortcuts and Recent Notes. Now if we could get note counts as a toggleable option that'd be great.

• Level 5*

I liked the ads myself, and wouldn't mind nixing the nabs for them. A customizable toolbar would be welcome.

As for design decisions, I strongly disagree with some, but I know as a user I don't get to see the whole picture, and there is a lot more going on, so I trust the developers know how to do their job. Customizability and options, for example, are things I value in apps. However, I think the developers are going for what they see as the minimum number of features actually needed and used by most people. It's a disagreement in terms of philosophy, but that doesn't mean that they are incompetent, or that users could do their job better.

Archived