(Archived) Evernote for Mac Public Beta is Here

Jackolicious

Idea

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't agree. What Jacko is describing is exactly how I would expect an app to perform. I control permissions at the System level (you just uncheck a box) and I am able to modify the default UI to meet my needs (adding / removing nabs from the sidebar). I wouldn't mind it if the permissions were set inside the app, but I don't really care, because it is pretty much the same amount of clicking /tapping: either the Apple icon or the app name. No big deal, right? IF we could not remove the Atlas, and IF we could not turn off the location data, then I'd be pretty annoyed.

From a usability standpoint it's bad behaviour having to have the user set some options in the actual program and some at the system level. The system level is to really handle the low level stuff. Since it's a feature inside the app, then it makes sense to keep settings related to it inside the actual app.

As for use cases, I think there are a lot of them for location data. Personally, I don't make any use of it, for various reasons, but I wouldn't want to close off those use cases. I think it is great that Evernote is bringing an innovative and interesting default UI to us, and I think it is even better that they allow users to customize it as we like. We need more customization and options, in my opinion, but the default UI seems fine, and I expect with any app that I will have to modify it for my workflow.

I can think of a few use cases and nobody has explained more than a few of the obvious use cases(And all end up saying - "But I'm not gonna use it"). Please don't use the word innovative about this version... It is anything but innovative. It's adding some colors and giant icons to please the average joe, but instead of innovating it ends up actually hurting the app with a VERY VERY bad UI/UX design.

There is a ton of stuff in the app that is either missing or now requires multiple steps to complete... That is not innovation... That is just crappy UX design.

I dont care if they make the program pink and play a sing when i start the app... But i very much care about completely ruining the UX since itøs something I have to live with every day. And even the icons and the design that has been made looks very much out of place... To be honest, I've seen prototypes and "proof of concept" designs look more polished than this.

I'm sorry, I love Evernote(In it's current stable version although it could need a bit of focus in certain places), but having the program completely destroyed like this is not something to applaud or call innovative.

Two minor bugs since I've been using the beta:

In Snippet View when you click the New Note in Collection button a new note is created but it doesn't come into view. (It seems that sometimes the new note comes into view but sometimes the new untitled note is simply put into the notebooks list of notes)

Secondly, in Snippet View it seems the default "Sort by" is in reverse alphabetical order. I prefer alphabetical, so when I change the setting it stays in alphabetical order until I close Evernote. Then when opened it reverts back to reverse alphabetical order.

So far, the beta's looking great. I successfully upgraded on two of my three machines, but on one (ironically, my primary machine), Evernote hung during the process of migrating notes to v5. Now, each attempt to compete migration fails. When I go back to v3.3, it takes quite a while for the app to "recover" and return to functionality, but twice, it has done so. Of course I'm then prompted to update, but when I do, migration hangs again (within v5).

NOTE: this machine has local notebooks containing data that is not stored on *any* other machine. So, I can't just toss all data and reload from the servers. (But I do have a time-machine backup.)

Please advise. Thanks.

• Level 5*

Search hijacking

- When I am typing in a search, at some point the incremental search will decide it is done and throw me out of the search into the notes, and my Mac starts making noises because I am still typing, but it is not able to accept the input. I am trying to figure out when and why this is happening. It is definitely not consistent.

Bugs noted until here.

Soundsgood, as always with local notebooks, it may be worthwhile to export them regularly and keep current backups.

Thanks.

1. Any suggestions for getting the migration to v5 to work on the affected machine? (Trashing prefs didn't do it.)

2. Will exported local notes retain their creation and modification dates?

This sure feels like a bug:

1) spawning new windows:

clicking on any of the icons on the left hand sidebar switches the view to that notebook or area, but in reality, it spawns a new window. After heavy use of Evernote 5 Mac, I have 10+ windows for Evernote running. Why doesn't it just change focus?

2) +New Note on <folder>

clicking this button on the toolbar creates a new note, but one without focus: I can not just start writing my note, I have to grab the mouse, and click on the note in the Note list. This should bring focus to the note in the note editor.

Thanks

Two bugs:

1 major: You can only log in when you are connected to the internet (pw check done via server). Very bad since it crashed on me on the flight here and then could not use it during the entire 7hr flight. Grr...

1 minor: command+N creates a new note, but in most instances, you stay in the active note and don't automatically jump to the new note.

Bugs noted until here.

Soundsgood, as always with local notebooks, it may be worthwhile to export them regularly and keep current backups.

Thanks.

1. Any suggestions for getting the migration to v5 to work on the affected machine? (Trashing prefs didn't do it.)

2. Will exported local notes retain their creation and modification dates?

So, I exported my local notes, deleted the EN folder in Application Support, then launched v5 and had it download all of the synced notes. So I'm up and running.

First usability observations:

I use the Paste to Evernote feature extensively, which of course puts all pasted notes into the designated notebook. i'm accustomed to going to that notebook, selecting any notes that don't belong in the default notebook, then simply dragging them to the correct notebook in the sidebar. Except -- when viewing notes, we can't see the notebooks in the sidebar. This is an awkward layout.

Also, when I finally located my notebook, which is in a folder, then selected it, I was alarmed at first that my notes didn't appear. The way we have to choose to view either notebooks or our actual notes is rather cumbersome. :-)

Finally (for now -- hehe), I don't care for the dark strip at the left. It contrasts too much with the rest of the interface. Please give us the option for a more unified look.

Thanks!

-There's no visual cue in the sidebar which notebook you're in. I realize it says it across the top of the notes list, but I'd like it to be reflected in the sidebar. When you click on Notes/Notebooks/Tags, the text becomes white and stays that way. But when you click on an individual notebook or tag, it's only white while clicking and then it returns to the default color.

-Same problem with tags. When I command-click multiple tags, it seems to correctly select notes with those tags, but there's no cue in the sidebar which tags are selected.

-The icons in the sidebar are way [too] big, in my opinion. The Notes item (which I preferred when it was just a notebook called All Notebooks) plus the Notebooks item take up a full inch of vertical space. Way too much.

-When I command-click on two tags, the tag dropdown above the notes list only shows the most recently clicked tag when I click on the triangle, even though two tags are selected. Actually, I can only surmise that the two tags are selected by reviewing the notes themselves. There's no visual feedback whatsoever for which tags are selected.

-I like the shortcuts list in the sidebar, rather than across the top. You can only fit so many items horizontally, but vertically, it's very flexible.

-I wish it would allow me to click a notebook, and then while in that notebook, select a tag (or command-click multiple tags) without leaving the notebook. Any time I select a tag to view, it assumes I want to search all notebooks. I suppose the only way to select for notes with a particular tag in a particular notebook is to type out a compound search in the search field? (e.g., notebook:receipts tag:october tag:2012)

-I wish I could expand/collapse the Notebooks and Tags list in the sidebar without right-clicking.

-I +1 the comment someone else made about the gray-on-gray in the Tags list. However, I do like how when you click on one tag, other tags that are assigned to any of the currently matching notes become highlighted. Very cool.

-I *really* don't like that in Snippet view, the name of the notebook only appears on the selected note's snippet. If you're looking at notes that aren't selected, there's no visual cue what notebook each note is in.

-I *love* type ahead. Definitely my favorite new feature. I used to hate how it would hang after typing a few characters in the search field. Type ahead is snappy.

<-- These. Especially, "There's no visual cue in the sidebar which notebook you're in."

Also, we can't simply drag a note from its current notebook into another one. (I mentioned this in a previous post.)

Request for Paste to Evernote feature:

This has been an issue for quite some time: I've designated a default notebook for pasted notes, but 10% of my notes need to go elsewhere. And moving those notes (and remembering that I have notes that need to be moved) has become quite tedious and frustrating..

Idea: I wish that when we invoke the Paste command, a window popped up in which we could either (a) confirm the default notebook (by simply hitting Return) or (B) select a new destination notebook. (Naturally, this behavior would be enabled by a preference in order to preserve the current behavior for those who don't want the extra step.) You know how on youtube, when you save a video, you get a pop-up window, asking you into which playlist you want to save the video? That's what we need, here, for the Paste feature (at least as an option).

Hopefully you'll consider this. Thanks!

Crashes left, right and center. Open evernote, search for some string, open a note that results from the search, close window -------> Crash. Every time, without fail. Running OSX 10.8.2 on current maxed out model of 13" MBP.

Also I don't like not being able to see notebooks and notes at the same time. This is a full on laptop screen, not a tablet or phone, we could stand a little more information density.

buckethead, you may be generating thumbnails. This should only happen temporarily during the initial upgrade process.

It has happened a couple of times since the initial upgrade process. It its 100%+ and when I notice it I quit out (command+q) of EN and then restart it again and it is normal cpu usage.

Yeah, it's not a thumbnail issue. Something is causing a grab of CPU cycles. From my Activity Monitor: Evernote, 229.8% CPU, 19 threads, 218.4 MB memory usage while idle. This happens every few hours, sending my MacBook Air fans into overdrive. I need to quit and restart Evernote to send CPU usage back to normal levels.

I am having the same issue. it starts off ok when I open the program, but as soon as I click on a note to read - it escalates to around 113% and tends to stay there. Have to restart it and then it happens all over again.

Mark

I noticed that the Back/Forward buttons are missing. In the previous versions they behaved kind of weird, but they did the job. I use note links a lot and really need this feature for navigating. This is a deal-breaker for me at the moment, I had to uninstall the Beta.

@cjdeheer: Did you try to right-click on Atlas in the sidebar? There's an option to hide it.

As always, thanks for the comments. Great stuff here! We are definitely listening and *always* read this forum. We don't have time to respond to everyone but we value the input and consider every suggestion.

Karen,

- good suggestion about dragging the trash to shortcuts

- you can delete a note by clicking on it and using the delete key on your keyboard

mrg,

- trash behavior, good catch. strange bug!

- new note focus, aware and working on it

- keyboard shortcut for note info, working on it!

- close the sidebar and see shortcuts, you can use keyboard shortcuts for them right now :) cmd-(1-9)

halfbyte,

- translation in german definitely needs fixing

- note focus, good catch. working on it.

- atlas connecting issue, thanks for reporting!

annapolis

- dragging multiple notes to a tag, you can do this with shortcuts :)

(I tried, not effective as old method - previously if I had a list of notes - I might select multiple notes and drag to a tag, no fuss; have not had speed or success doing via recommended; I like to focus on the work not be distracted by the mechanism (breaks fluidity, and especially what was a click and drag to a click and typing in a tag). Also promotion and demotion of tags within tags much harder - again breaking fluidity).

Steve,

- shortcuts aren't syncing right now

jrlindeley,

- you can definitely drag tags into the sidebar's shortcuts. enjoy!

Thanks again all!

+1 for being able to get rid of the atlas. Not just hide it, but eliminate it completely. I'm not sure just what use it would have - why the hell would I need to know WHERE I made a particular note? If I want a note to contain something geographical, then I can just insert a Google Maps grab.

The atlas is about as useful as Faces and Places in iPhoto - i.e. no use whatsoever. Well, at least to many people (majority?). Does the atlas feature use up CPU cycles while it tries to locate where notes were made, etc? A good reason to be able to disable it completely....

• Level 5*

+1 for being able to get rid of the atlas. Not just hide it, but eliminate it completely. I'm not sure just what use it would have - why the hell would I need to know WHERE I made a particular note? If I want a note to contain something geographical, then I can just insert a Google Maps grab.

The atlas is about as useful as Faces and Places in iPhoto - i.e. no use whatsoever. Well, at least to many people (majority?). Does the atlas feature use up CPU cycles while it tries to locate where notes were made, etc? A good reason to be able to disable it completely....

Setting aside the issues of getting rid of it and how much of the CPU it uses, there are lots of great uses for the Atlas.

Any notes taken on a business trip. Photos taken on a family trip. Notes taken at work vs. notes taken at home. Notes taken beforehand with modified location data for a place you are going so that everything is organized according to where you will need it. For example, notes related to the grocery store could be "located" there, so just tapping on the place would bring up all of your shopping lists.

Personally, I don't find much use for it in my own workflow, but I certainly think it is a great feature to have. I don't mind either way anymore if it stays or goes. It is pushed down out of my field of vision now anyhow.

I agree with GrumpyMonkey that the Atlas is handy. Nice to be able to put notes to places that you visit and later be able to see them in their location. I work in the travel industry, so particularly useful, me thinks. That said, something is tearing up my CPU cycles - Evernote public beta running at 113% cpu (how is more than 100% even possible?).

• Level 5*
something is tearing up my CPU cycles - Evernote public beta running at 113% cpu (how is more than 100% even possible?).

I believe the old Willy Wonka movie (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) had a dialogue like this about percentages greater than 100. In this case, I believe the answer is multiple real and virtual cores. 100% for each of them, so several hundred percent possible.

I have had Atlas on since the upgrade to this beta version and I have no use for it whatsoever. I would like to go back and remove that location data from notes because I have a wildly sporadic location for notes that I've made here in the office.

• Level 5*

I have had Atlas on since the upgrade to this beta version and I have no use for it whatsoever. I would like to go back and remove that location data from notes because I have a wildly sporadic location for notes that I've made here in the office.

I've seen that problem as well, and I don't know why. I have a recent note from Miami (nowhere near where I made the note), the middle of a major highway near my house (I don't remember making a note in the middle of the road), and somewhere in the woods near my workplace (am I sleepwalking through the woods at night making notes?). I'd like to blame iOS Maps for this, but really I have no idea where the source of the misinformation. It could have nothing to do with my Mac.

I won't go so far as to say the Atlas is useless, and I do not especially care what information metadata is applied to my notes, because I cannot see it. Assuming we get the location information sorted, it seems to me that the Atlas is a good feature for some people, not so much for others, but it doesn't cause any "harm" to have it in the UI.

• Level 5

Re: Atlas

Any inaccuracies in location data will be as a result of whatever platform was used to create the data. For example, if you create a note on your Mac and it is tagged incorrectly, it is because Mac OS thought you were someplace you weren't. Same thing applies if you create the note on Android, iOS, etc.

You can always disable Evernote's access to your location via your System Preferences and hide Atlas from your sidebar. Easy! :)

• Level 5*

Any inaccuracies in location data will be as a result of whatever platform was used to create the data. For example, if you create a note on your Mac and it is tagged incorrectly, it is because Mac OS thought you were someplace you weren't. Same thing applies if you create the note on Android, iOS, etc.

You can always disable Evernote's access to your location via your System Preferences and hide Atlas from your sidebar. Easy! :)

I figured (of course) that something else was feeding my Evernote account incorrect data. That is no big deal to me. As you said, System Preferences > Security and Privacy > Privacy.

I don't know why I didn't realize we could just remove the nab from the sidebar: right click > remove. My mind is living in the past. Thanks for reminding us!

+1 for forward/back buttons or shortcuts for navigating between notes. If you use a lot of Note Links, then this becomes a crucial feature.

+1 for Total Note count missing.

But in general, very pleased with the look and functionality of Evernote 5 beta. I really like the shortcuts bar. That has really helped my workflow. Also, the recent searches in the search bar is helpful.

It used to be very quick to go through and "clean up" a notebook by deleting notes, again, quickly. Now, it's a 2-3 second delay after hitting delete before I can do anything else. Any way you can speed that process back up?

Edit: just selected three notes, hit delete, and I'm now beachballing with no end in sight.

Edit 2: I did a force-quit and now things are running a bit more smoothly.

It still would be great to be able to re-tag or completely untag posts in Atlas en masse.

Overall, I really like the update. Well done to all concerned. Some specific feedback on the beta:

- Bug: The primary way I like to manage my notes on a day by day basis is by sorting notes by date updated. Sorting this way gives me a quick way to browse through all my new notes, and process them if required. However, I have noticed that with the new version of EN, it seems to be very sensitive in changing the "date updated" stamp on a note. It seems that just clicking on or in (I think), without making changes to a note, updates the date updated. Therefore, if I go back to read an old note, it jumps up to the top of my list of notes even though it could be months old. I have not made any actual changes to it, just clicked within it. This bug is the only really annoying bug I have encountered thus far.

- Would also like to see the top toolbar customisable with shortcuts, instead of the sidebar. I have a MacBook Air 11", so screen retail space is at a premium. I always kept the old sidebar list of notebooks/tag/etc hidden to free up space, and used the shortcuts at the top instead.

- However, since we do currently have the sidebar, I also like the ability to drag individual notes to shortcut area & recent notes feature. Also like search improvements - love type ahead feature.

- Seems to be some negativity in the Atlas discussions about. I like the feature. It's a bit of fun.

- Bug: I like the CMD-J shortcut to jump between notebooks, and then into the search bar. However, after activating the search bar, when you CMD-J back to the notebook list, the search bar drop down contents are still visible, and obscures the selected note.

- Some discussion above about note counts. One convoluted way of figuring out the total number of notes in your account is when you are viewing a subset of your notes, to click CMD-SHIFT-A and it will display all your notes, along with the total number at the top of the card view.

Just to harp on about the atlas - sorry...

It might work OK for notes entered via the mobile devices, eg iPhone, iPad, etc. But for notes entered via desktop machines - which in my case is almost all of them - my desktop machines have no idea where I am. There is no GPS, cell triangulation, etc on my laptop or desktop machines, and the only way they can get location is from the IP address. But because I use a 3G modem in my laptop when away from home, the IP address actually reflects the telco proxy server - which is about 2000Km from where I actually am. (For those in Australia, I'm on Telstra, and their IP addresses usually locate to somewhere in the far north of South Australia, whereas I'm in Queensland).

So, realizing that some people actually DO have a use for the atlas, but that I don't - is it taking up any CPU cycles in the background? And if so, is there a way to disable it completely? I can prevent EN from accessing location information in the Privacy settings, as above, but does that stop it from taking up CPU time still trying to access it anyway?

Sorry to harp on - but I really find the atlas totally useless - for me.

Thanks for the comments! They're very helpful and I'm noting all of them.

buckethead, you may be generating thumbnails. This should only happen temporarily during the initial upgrade process.

Hi Jake,

FIRST OF ALL CONGRATULATIONS. You have really done a fantastic job with the design of this new version. It makes me happy I chose to use it many years ago and stuck with it. Also, it seems like it's not only the app but the staff of evernote that is looking better! You guys are all really hot :)

Also,thank you for not selling to google or some other heavyweight like the Sparrow guys did.

The new tags window is awesome. I love how all connected tags light up when one is selected, very good.

A few requests / comments though :

1 : The Ability to double click on items in the sidebar to expend and contract them, having to right click and select expand is annoying. A simple click brings to the window (as it already does nicely ) and a double click expands the item makes more sense to me.

2: It seems like every time you expand the notebooks it insists on showing all the piles of notebooks expended even if I had previously closed some… That's rather annoying if say I wanted to keep some closed most of the time and some open, that it always goes back to that configuration each time you expend instead of remembering like in the old version…. Same goes for the Tags obviously.

3 : When you type tags, the suggestions for tags already existing is rather narrow and trunks the full names of the tags which can cause problems if you have long names that start the sale way. Also , The area reserved for showing the tags assigned to the note are still rather small. Some people use a lot of tags. I find myself having to click on one tag and use the arrows to reveal the hidden tags. I would like to easily be able to see all tags currently assigned to a note.

4 : The Ability to toggle a notebook's Local or Synchronized property. At the moment local notebooks simply show as having no options at all...

5: When expanding Piles of notebooks and Tags both in their dedicated window and in the sidebar it would really help visually if there was a color difference between the names of the Piles and their contents. At the moment everything looks quite the same and it is a bit confusing to look at.

That's it for now .

Thanks guys.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but this "upgrade" seems more like a totally different program - one built for kids or folks wanting to store cooking recipes - rather than serious business people.

I don't want to start listing-out all the features that are now MISSING from Evernote, or I'll be here all night. Perhaps they will all magically re-appear in the final release.

I have over 10,000 notes, 1,500 tags, 47 saved searches etc. This is now looking very Micky Mouse, and thank God I did a test upgrade using a new user account on my Mac first - I'll be sticking with the previous version.

I just can't see how you can "upgrade" a program and remove so-many powerful features???

Here are a few:

You can't drag tags to notes - a super fast way of tagging. I can't remember the name of 1,500 tags to add them by typing. And the tag list that appears when you start typing a tag name is not in parent and child order, so you can't find the tags you need.

There is no ability to alter the height of different sections on the sidebar. So endless scrolling results.

Putting "Saved Search" under the "Edit > Find" menu is just plain daft. Have you been employing programmers from Microsoft by chance?

Where is the list of Saved Search gone from in the sidebar?? I can't add 47 searches to the Shortcuts menu. I know they appear in a drop-down list in the search box, but that's not much help.

Can I not rename my saved searches any more? Or edit the search string?

The odd thing is, I just don't think you folks at Evernote realise what an amazing and powerful app you have developed. I've been using computers since the one we had the size of a small car at University that had punched cards! And for 7 years I was an Apple Mac dealer. I can honestly say, the Evernote is (was) the most revolutionary app I have discovered in years, and has transformed the way I run my businesses.

And I was really excited that you are bringing out a Business version soon. But if it's like this "upgrade" I will be crying and not smiling.

Does this version prevent you from creating local notebooks?

No

Also I do have a specific question for you.

Just before installing the beta version I did a copy of my evernote data folder to be sure, since it's a beta that I would not loose or corrupt any files. BUT! since evernote syncs all my data to it's servers, what happens if I want to use my personal backup to go back to the way things were before I started messing around with the new evernote? Will it use the files on my computer as a master and re-update the versions on the server to match my backup or will it change my local backup to match the server version and in doing so possibly delete or corrupt my backup??

I have often wondered about that in the past, when I have done updates or reinstalled OSX or Evernote. I always use a personal data backup from my local folder because it seems safer than downloading all my data from the evernote serves.

Actually, if you have long Tags names like I do, e.g.:

Financial: Services: International: Canada: Banks

Financial: Services: International: Canada: Investment Funds

Then it seems there is no way to actually add such tags to a note!

You can't drag them; and you can't enter them manually by typing, as the drop-down suggestions are not full width.

Crazy.

Actually, if you have long Tags names like I do, e.g.:

Financial: Services: International: Canada: Banks

Financial: Services: International: Canada: Investment Funds

Then it seems there is no way to actually add such tags to a note!

You can't drag them; and you can't enter them manually by typing, as the drop-down suggestions are not full width.

Crazy.

True.... Let's hope that gets fixed

Also the new way to easily and quickly select a notebook and then chose from the tags present in this particular notebook all directly in the top bar is a really cool feature. thanks for that.

I would implore you not to remove power user features just to make a lighter weight app. Evernote should make everyone from my 12 year old daughter happy to my sysadmin cohorts to the former Mac dealer to my parent's (if they'd ever learn to trust the interwebs).

One last thing: The tool bar really does not seem to need to be this thick , it could easily be half the thickness while keeping all the same features, there's a lot of wasted space there . I need to be able to search so I do not want to get rid of it all together but it could really be made smaller.

Maybe worth having a look at Sparrow for that, their minimal view has a really slick design and I am really happy to see evernote went that way too.

Pressing cmd+n to create a new note should also focus the note so I can start editing right away. As of now, after I create a new note I have to go over and click it before I can do anything which seems like a waste of time.

Downloaded the new iPhone app today. I love design, and it looks great, but I had a hard time finding things (like simply searching all notes without having to first remember in which notebook a note resides). (I'm sure that's another area of the forum, so I'll post there.)

That said, the following is relevant to this forum:

While looking for a certain note on the iPhone, I accidentally tapped on a note I created yesterday. As soon as it opened, I closed it.

Now -- back at home -- I'm needing that same note that I accidentally viewed earlier on my iPhone. I was looking for notes created yesterday. But now, that note's modification date has changed to today -- presumably simply because I viewed it (accessed it) on my iPhone. Someone else mentioned this, here in this forum, except he or she had viewed a note within the Mac app.

Please, please, please fix this. Simply viewing a note without making any changes whatsoever does not constitute modification. And it's critical that my (our) notes remain accurately timestamped. There are other notes that I created after the note in question that now show that they were created *before* that note. It's critical that my notes stay in the correct chronological order.

Thanks. :-)

• Level 5*

Looks like a bug....

- Add an image to a note

- Open image in Preview and resize, save, close

Previously, the image was updated with the new size in Evernote, doesn't look like it is now. Not sure if it has been updated and is being displayed incorrectly or has just not been updated.

• Level 5*

Bug

When in Notebooks view, creating a notebook by right clicking and selecting "New Notebook" from the context menu does not present the option to choose a local or sync'd notebook. Instead a sync'd notebook is immediately created.

Creating a new notebook using the button in the top left corner correctly presents the options.

I think this is what I was seeing in my post yesterday or the day before.

No, that is the lazy solution. People shouldn't have to go into system settings blocking the program for stuff like this. It should be a very clear option in the app itself.

Better yet, stop wasting development resources on location features that is usefull for 0.001% of the users.

• Level 5*

No, that is the lazy solution. People shouldn't have to go into system settings blocking the program for stuff like this. It should be a very clear option in the app itself.

Better yet, stop wasting development resources on location features that is usefull for 0.001% of the users.

I don't agree. What Jacko is describing is exactly how I would expect an app to perform. I control permissions at the System level (you just uncheck a box) and I am able to modify the default UI to meet my needs (adding / removing nabs from the sidebar). I wouldn't mind it if the permissions were set inside the app, but I don't really care, because it is pretty much the same amount of clicking /tapping: either the Apple icon or the app name. No big deal, right? IF we could not remove the Atlas, and IF we could not turn off the location data, then I'd be pretty annoyed.

As for use cases, I think there are a lot of them for location data. Personally, I don't make any use of it, for various reasons, but I wouldn't want to close off those use cases. I think it is great that Evernote is bringing an innovative and interesting default UI to us, and I think it is even better that they allow users to customize it as we like. We need more customization and options, in my opinion, but the default UI seems fine, and I expect with any app that I will have to modify it for my workflow.

• Level 5

Nightstalker

- Atlas only processes notes on the first ever launch of EN v5. If you disable location permissions to the app, it won't slow down your app.

- Dragging tags to notes is coming

Metrodon

- The location helper only appears when it's needed in the latest beta.

CEB

- We emailed every Evernote desktop user a link to this page ahead of the beta: http://evernote.com/evernote/whats_new/mac/ Also, v5 is currently in beta.

@grumpy monkey:

" Could you tell us specifically what aspect of the app wasted the better part of your day? Maybe that will help Evernote improve the experience next time."

Sure. It is different. And the months of my learning how to use it, while not entirely wasted, have been rendered wasted until I spend yet more time to get back to where I was in proficiency.

mcdonna-

yes there is a relatively easy way to "downgrade" back to to the stable version you were using. At least that is what I was able to do and did. Evernote should have an easy to find link to the instructions but I don't think they do. I had to get the instructions from the technical support. ONe caution thought is that they do not give you a choke of WHICH version of evernote you download after you delete the flawed version 5.0.0. At any time they could probably change it so you cannot go back. I don't think Evernote developers appreciate how much of an investment a user makes in getting to know how to use their software. Perhaps unfair to single out Evernote. Apple, Microsoft and others are guilty of the same thing. For an unimportant bit of software that you don't use much it does not matter. But Evernote has managed to create a piece of software that has become "mission critical" for many of its users. Along with that comes an obligation to respect how users come to depend on it. Evernote treats each each revision as automatically all better. But they also have REMOVED key features in version 5 without telling users. There was a feature whereby you could be notified of beta versions. I said ok to that because at the time I had not seen Evernote abuse its users by putting out clearly bad software. Now I know better and will try to change that setting. It reminds me of my recent experience in the northeast with power outages (out 9 days). When Tommy Edison and his buddies introduced electricity it was a nice new optional feature. And putting the power lines above ground where the trees could fall on them was a neat idea because it was cheaper and faster. Fast forward a century or so and it looks like a big mistake. Now electricity is pretty much a necessity. Con-Ed gets a lot of grief for acting like it is just a nice extra new thing. Such is Evernote's situation. If you are going to get a monopoly-style position providing customers with a mission-critical service, you are asking for a massive blow back when anything goes wrong.

One thing i really like about the new version is the edit window of the notes but most everything else seems to be more focussed on looking nice than actually being functional. Most stuff seems to be a step backwards. The notebook icons are HUGE and waste an insane amount of screen space, the atlas function seems to have been a complete waste of resources to develop, the large thumbnail display of notes is another example of something that wastes insane amounts of screen space without providing any benefit,

I just obeyed the upgrade recommendation and am SICK about the changes. I have notebooks for each of my clients and instead of the compact list I now have huge chunky icons. It slows my operation. Can I back out of this?

• Level 5*

Back and back forward buttons are urgently needed. I use Evernote like a kind of wiki. Without the back and forward buttons is Evernote useless for ner 60 Percent of my work.

This pretty much put an end to my personal wiki system as well. Note linkes used to be a big part of my organizational system (http://www.princeton...ganization.html), and I still consider those tiny navigational buttons to be critical for productivity (http://discussion.ev...or-all-clients/). During the beta phase I started going through the notes and putting in navigation links (a "home" note, etc.) in order to salvage it, but after a while, I abandoned the note links. I suppose that is one less thing for me to worry about :)

• Level 5*

Grumpy-

You say

"It is still in beta, so there is that."

The message that pops up to inform users that a new version of Evernote is available does NOT use the word "Beta". It does not warn users that there is no documentation for how the new version works. Yet another flaw in the new version. "Everyone wins"? Nice try. I wasted the better part of a day. Did you think of that when you made your claim of everybody winning? Perhaps you meant to say "everybody at evernote wins when we can trick our users into doing our work for us"

It looks like this explanatory page has also gone live, so you can read about using it there as well http://evernote.com/evernote/guide/mac/.

GREAT JOB GUYS! Evernote far far away the best free app (after Caffeine :) )

Questions:

1) Is there any way to customize the toolbar to add back/forward/print/etc?

2) Where did "Files" go? I usually search for attachments and loved that feature

3) I have a Mac Air 11" and I'd like to have a three-column card view but it takes too much of the screen. Any way to customize the size of the cards?

. CMD 1-9 is one of the best new features

. View Notebooks in the sidebar, it would be nice to expand/collapse?

. Icons in the toolbar for new camera/audio note

. Definitely All Notes icon in the toolbar

. I think for such a complete app it's time to expand and improve the "Preferences"

Great job again, thanks!

• Level 5*

Grumpy-

You say

The message that pops up to inform users that a new version of Evernote is available does NOT use the word "Beta". It does not warn users that there is no documentation for how the new version works. Yet another flaw in the new version. "Everyone wins"? Nice try. I wasted the better part of a day. Did you think of that when you made your claim of everybody winning? Perhaps you meant to say "everybody at evernote wins when we can trick our users into doing our work for us"

I don't think you get the message unless you have opted into the beta (a checkbox you have to manually check). The release notes say it is a beta. There is a video on the Evernote site (http://evernote.com/.../whats_new/mac/) that should have cover most of the highlights. There is a blog post as well (http://blog.evernote.com/2012/11/15/evernote-5-for-mac-is-here-packed-with-over-100-new-features/). And, there was another post back when the beta came out (http://blog.evernote.com/2012/11/01/evernote-5-for-mac-beta-is-here/). The app essentially works as it did in the past, with a few new features. Could you tell us specifically what aspect of the app wasted the better part of your day? Maybe that will help Evernote improve the experience next time.

[ EDIT: Ugh. I got sniped by two Evernote employees within five minutes. Now that is some fast service! ]

Grumpy-

You say

Hey!

So I just installed the beta version and I just wanted to say congrats, the UI is great and the shortcuts system is awesome. However, I have a couple of few things I'd like to point out about this new version:

- the toolbar: it's been said before, but i guess the more people request it the better: please, please enable toolbar customization again

- the trash: my preferred method of deleting anything was to just drag it to the trash icon and now it's gone. Of course it's not a huge deal, but if you could enable dragging it to the shortcuts, that would be great!

Just moved from 3.x to 5.0beta2. Following have been noted right away:

✽ Notebook names sort differently. Previously notebooks starting with ~ sorted to end of list. Now they sort to the beginning. Could be a bug or not, depending on perspective.

✽ Trunk navigation will allow me to look at a list of all apps in one category, then choose and app to find out more detail. But then I cannot go back to the list of all apps in the category. I have to start from apps home again.

• Level 5*

I was very disappointed in Evernote. They promoted the new version for Mac 5.0.0 on their web site with flashy text and photos, implying that it was "ready for prime time". The reality is that it is very far from being ready for public use. People like me who use it heavily cannot afford to drop everything for a day or two to learn how to use it, provide feedback to Evernote about what is wrong with it, and then (as I did) switch back to the previous version. Maybe if they wanted to compensate me for my time I would do it, but they were looking for users to become unpaid consultants. The effort that went into creating advertising to make it appear ready for use ought to have gone into providing basic explanations about how to use the new version. I am happy to be back to an earlier and more stable version, and I will avoid future "beta" versions. I will also view future Evernote releases more skeptically. I am curious about what is going on internally at Evernote that allowed this blunder. I may have to switch to a different tool. I started with Microsoft OneNote. That was one of the few really good Microsoft products. It would only do a revision on the Office cycle, which was not necessarily the best thing for OneNote and its users. Evernote seemed to be doing a better job of revising its software when there were substantive improvements. Now there seems to have been a rush to revise it when the "eye candy" looks different without regard to whether it functions better.

Hi. Thanks for posting. It is still in beta, so there is that. They are, indeed, asking users to provide input on it before they release the final version. You can opt into this system or not, but personally I like to be able to offer comments at a stage when Evernote developers might be able to incorporate the improvements into the app. Everyone wins that way.

As for the app, I think it is actually coming along quite nicely with some major new improvements. Any major revision requires adjustments, but leaving those aside, do you think it functions worse than the last one? For example, we can now search shared notebooks, and we have the Shortcuts Menu, which enables us to manually order our notes for the first time. This seems pretty significant to me. Is there something you were hoping to see?

I was very disappointed in Evernote. They promoted the new version for Mac 5.0.0 on their web site with flashy text and photos, implying that it was "ready for prime time". The reality is that it is very far from being ready for public use. People like me who use it heavily cannot afford to drop everything for a day or two to learn how to use it, provide feedback to Evernote about what is wrong with it, and then (as I did) switch back to the previous version. Maybe if they wanted to compensate me for my time I would do it, but they were looking for users to become unpaid consultants. The effort that went into creating advertising to make it appear ready for use ought to have gone into providing basic explanations about how to use the new version. I am happy to be back to an earlier and more stable version, and I will avoid future "beta" versions. I will also view future Evernote releases more skeptically. I am curious about what is going on internally at Evernote that allowed this blunder. I may have to switch to a different tool. I started with Microsoft OneNote. That was one of the few really good Microsoft products. It would only do a revision on the Office cycle, which was not necessarily the best thing for OneNote and its users. Evernote seemed to be doing a better job of revising its software when there were substantive improvements. Now there seems to have been a rush to revise it when the "eye candy" looks different without regard to whether it functions better.

...One thing thing I was wondering for evernote for mac ... when we have an idea that comes upon use - we flash think of evernote - we have to take our hand off the mouse to do Control+Command+N or go into Evernote and then click on new note. Any chance of using this as an opportunity for enhancing an option off the dock icon (like safari's dock icon' one click option for a new window; so that the evernote dock icon could have a an option for a new note …potentially a second option for a new window - it would speed idea capture and fluidity - our hands stays on the mouse)?

That is what the Elephant Icon in the menubar is for. You can select "New Note" from that.

Hugh

• Level 5*

Metrodon

- The location helper only appears when it's needed in the latest beta.

I assume that it is needed when I click the location icon in note detail and it fills in an address? Because it isn't currently.

Nightstalker

- Atlas only processes notes on the first ever launch of EN v5. If you disable location permissions to the app, it won't slow down your app.

- Dragging tags to notes is coming

@Jackolicious: thanks muchly for replying. Appreciated! And looking forward to the tag-dragging.

I have to say that your interaction with us here on this forum/thread is much more active and informative than that on the iOS threads, particularly the ones about the iPad version of EN and its lack of List view among other things. So well done J, and tell Evernote that I think you deserve a raise! ;)

i absolutely LOVE the new v5 Beta; it is so much more intuitive and easier to use. I have not found any bugs as yet, but there is one expected behavior that is conspicuously missing. When viewing notes in the Inbox, we cannot drag and drop them into the desired notebook The only way to assign notes to their proper notebook is to use the pull-down list. This inability to drag and drop notes is counter-intuitive and annoying.

Keep up the great work!

• Level 5*

With beta 1 I had the Location Services indicator in my toolbar constantly (I believe it appears if an application requests location data within 24 hours). Since installing beta 2 I haven't had the indicator appear at all.

I have created notes and they have location data in the note info.

• Level 5*

From a usability standpoint it's bad behaviour having to have the user set some options in the actual program and some at the system level. The system level is to really handle the low level stuff. Since it's a feature inside the app, then it makes sense to keep settings related to it inside the actual app.

Good point. I wonder, though, if this might have something to do with the app itself having (for example) the Helper icon in the main menu and also asking for location data (most apps don't). Apple might need that to be in the System menu. Just speculation here on my part.

I can think of a few use cases and nobody has explained more than a few of the obvious use cases(And all end up saying - "But I'm not gonna use it"). Please don't use the word innovative about this version... It is anything but innovative. It's adding some colors and giant icons to please the average joe, but instead of innovating it ends up actually hurting the app with a VERY VERY bad UI/UX design.

There is a ton of stuff in the app that is either missing or now requires multiple steps to complete... That is not innovation... That is just crappy UX design.

I dont care if they make the program pink and play a sing when i start the app... But i very much care about completely ruining the UX since itøs something I have to live with every day. And even the icons and the design that has been made looks very much out of place... To be honest, I've seen prototypes and "proof of concept" designs look more polished than this.

I'm sorry, I love Evernote(In it's current stable version although it could need a bit of focus in certain places), but having the program completely destroyed like this is not something to applaud or call innovative.

My use case and my own preferences make something like Notational Velocity more appealing. It seems to me that it has raised the combination of usability, functionality, and design elegance to a new level. But, I think it is probably likely that relatively few people know about NV or use it. A UI completely devoid of icons, and an app totally navigable without a mouse might be impossible in something as complex as Evernote, and maybe not even desirable for the average user (whoever they are).

Evernote is produced for a mass audience, and is aiming to gain millions of customers every year. I just don't think you can do that without some eye candy, and I also don't think you can do that without leaving open lots of avenues for different use cases. There are all kinds of things you could do with the location data, and the fact that I don't use it has more to do with my particular use case and all-around laziness than with the value of the feature in the app.

I think the question we have to ask is whether design elements and functions we don't especially like or need are a barrier to getting stuff done. In this case, I'd say "no." Five or six taps and you'll never see the Atlas again. I've removed all but one of the nabs on the left (the Notes nab teases me with an option to remove it that has been grayed out), and just use the sidebar for shortcuts myself. In other words, I've been able to completely customize the app to my needs. I'd call that good design, and the Shortcuts menu is innovative -- the only place anywhere on any client in which we can manually arrange our notes. I think that is pretty nifty, and clearly a brand new element never seen before in the app.

Pasting seems to add a line break after what's pasted in. So when I paste something, my cursor ends up on the next line. I think that's what's throwing off bullet points (with pasting) as well.

When I paste things they are posted a line below where my cursor actually is.

• Level 5

Nightstalker

- Atlas does not take CPU cycles in the background after your first load of the app

lpr

- Thank you :rolleyes:

- Double-click: good suggestion. Noted.

- Toggle local/synced note

- Going back to the old Evernote: as long as you use the direct download (not mac app store) you should be fine.

PeterLondon

- Dragging tags: noted

- Saved searches: this is one area of the app that we love and working very hard to make more powerful for you.

- Tags being too long: I can add those tags to my notes just fine.

Chris S

- We are definitely not trying to remove power user features. In fact, we are trying to add them!

Ruslan

- New note focus: fixed in yesterday's beta release

Location questions:

Evernote asks users for their location before ever using it. We only use it if you give approval. Once that happens, you can always disable it in your system preferences.

...One thing thing I was wondering for evernote for mac ... when we have an idea that comes upon use - we flash think of evernote - we have to take our hand off the mouse to do Control+Command+N or go into Evernote and then click on new note. Any chance of using this as an opportunity for enhancing an option off the dock icon (like safari's dock icon' one click option for a new window; so that the evernote dock icon could have a an option for a new note …potentially a second option for a new window - it would speed idea capture and fluidity - our hands stays on the mouse)?

Thanks for the feedback Jackolicious.

If I have very long tags, then the name of the longest tag will not be shown in full in the drop-down list when I attempt to add it to a note. You can add it to the note, but you cannot see the full width of the name to ensure that's the one you want to add.

I can see why it may be thought logical to put saved searches in the drop-down in the search box. But actually, saved searches are used in the same way that tags and notebooks are used in the sidebar. That's why they are in the sidebar in the current version. I would click on a saved search in the same way I clicked on a tag, tags, or notebook etc to find a set of notes. It's far more logical to have all those grouped in the sidebar. And of course you made it easy for users decide what they wanted to show in the sidebar or not. Then of course one should be able to amend the name of saved searches, and the search strings - all of which are now not possible.

I know you say you are not removing power-features; but that's just not the case with this beta. Many power-features, even everyday features, are now missing. Dragging tags to notes is not a power-feature.

Why on earth would you want to remove anyfeatures? I cannot remember in all my years of using software, ever coming across a piece of software that actually had major, or even small, features removed with an "upgrade". Yes, software can become bloated and subject to constant additions to enable the dev co to constantly bill customers for more features; and yes, menus, look-and-feel etc. can be altered and changed around. I could also understand if you wanted to release a lite version, or move features to the premium edition. But REMOVING features? Never seen it!

Evernote is a very, very powerful piece of software that can transform businesses; and I was really looking forward to the business release, and would be quite happy to pay far more per annum then I am at the moment. I honestly think that Evernote could be on it's way to breaking into the corporate sector, rather like DropBox, with all the resultant massive increase in subscriptions etc.

But if you are just looking at your user-stats, and going for the lowest-common-denominater user, I think you are making a huge mistake.

Hi,

For what it's worth: I really like the redesign of the Evernote app for Mac and the type ahead and related tags features are quite handy, but the one thing I'm missing are my hierarchical/nested tags. I have a long list of tags, neatly organised in a tree structure, but after the upgrade, all the tags are just "mashed" together, all on the same level.

Please consider introducing the nested tag feature again. Thanks!

Best regards,

Kristof

Just found out as well, that if you have long tag names, then you cannot see the full name in the tag window, so that means you can't see which ones you need to move into which parent tag etc.!

This is a downgrade, not an upgrade for sure. And really makes Evernote unusable for many users.

Nightstalker

- Atlas does not take CPU cycles in the background after your first load of the app

Thanks for that Jackolicious. Can I just clarify one thing though - when you say "after first load of the app" - do you mean literally the first time you load the app, and never thereafter, or everytime you load the app but it then stops for as long as the app is open, until the next time you open it?

Also, what happens when EN gets a new note, either directly, by clipping, or by syncing - does it try to get location info for each one, and does that take up any CPU cycles?

Thanks for clarifying....

Oh, and dragging tags onto the Snippets, or the List, or whatever view we have up, would be wonderful if you could reinstate that feature, please. Including the ability to do a multiple selection of snippets using the command key, then dragging a single tag onto one of the snippets to mass-tag the whole lot..... Thanks :)

Unsure whether this has been mentioned or is reproducible with a different set of notes, but scrolling the notes list in snippet view is incredibly laggy for me, there are only eight notes, and card view is fine so something's definitely wrong.

EDIT: Found the culprit, it was a note with a lot of unicode symbols causing the lag. Removing the note made everything smooth again. I guess the bug is related to that.

EDIT2: In activity monitor, 'fontd' cpu usage jumps to 90% while scrolling a with the unicode note in view

Still a lot of crashing, too much even for a Beta. I had a lot of crashing with version 3 too, especially dealing with images, copying, pasting, selecting - often causes crashes.

The new UI is a bit real estate hungry. There a tendency to design apps as if each one is the only one a client ever uses. Evernote started out simple, concise, small, fast and easy to use. Its starting to feel bloated with too many ways of doing the same things, and not addressing some key missing functionality.

Snippet view is OK, but needd choices on what's shown in the snippet. There's too much there now, making it difficult to easily spot the note you're looking for. And it takes up too much space.

List view is still the easiest view to find things. But there's no way to turn off the detail/note view so that you only see the list. There should be a sash that lets you hide the detail/note window and only show the list. Again its a real estate problem. I want to see as many things in the list as possible while keeping the window small. Then I'll use double click to open the note most of the time in a separate window.

Still no editing styles. This is key to being able to create good notes quickly.

Table editing is still pretty weak. Version 5 needs to balance form over function.

Above all, keep it simple, small, fast, portable and reliable. That way we focus on creating notes, not figuring out how to use all the cool features of the tool.

I've just installed 5. There was a lot of talk and many requests for 'n' tier stacks (stacks within stacks) I can find no reference to stacks at all in V5.... Please tell me I'm wrong? I can see how legacy stacks are rendered - but there doesnt seem to be either drag and drop of notes or any way of managing stacks at all?

UPDATE

I worked it out and it is indeed drag and drop within the notebook overview (not now in the sidebar which confused me) It's still only 1 level of stacking but at least it works.

Please give us multiple stack levels.... Eg

Business Notes, Clients, Client A

Note A

Note B

Note C

Business Notes, Clients, Client B

Business Notes, Admin

Private Notes, Holidays, 2012

Thanks.

It's exactly as it has been for a long time. Notes live in notebooks, notebooks can be added to stacks.

an for a long time it has been flawed.

They have removed drag and drop from the sidebar - which was confusing? I develop user interfaces and this IS done differently. Secondly, stacks of stacks are really desirable and are the subject of numerous feature requests - I was simply pointing out that A: the change of stack method management is obscure but actually probably an improvement once you find it, and secondly that stacks of stacks would be desirable,

But thanks for your wisdom anyway.

• Level 5*

I've just installed 5. There was a lot of talk and many requests for 'n' tier stacks (stacks within stacks) I can find no reference to stacks at all in V5.... Please tell me I'm wrong? I can see how legacy stacks are rendered - but there doesnt seem to be either drag and drop of notes or any way of managing stacks at all?

UPDATE

I worked it out and it is indeed drag and drop within the notebook overview (not now in the sidebar which confused me) It's still only 1 level of stacking but at least it works.

Please give us multiple stack levels.... Eg

Business Notes, Clients, Client A

Note A

Note B

Note C

Business Notes, Clients, Client B

Business Notes, Admin

Private Notes, Holidays, 2012

Thanks.

It's exactly as it has been for a long time. Notes live in notebooks, notebooks can be added to stacks.

an for a long time it has been flawed.

They have removed drag and drop from the sidebar - which was confusing? I develop user interfaces and this IS done differently. Secondly, stacks of stacks are really desirable and are the subject of numerous feature requests - I was simply pointing out that A: the change of stack method management is obscure but actually probably an improvement once you find it, and secondly that stacks of stacks would be desirable,

But thanks for your wisdom anyway.

You misunderstand me a little - I agree that removing drag and drop is a bad move "Unfortunately, in an attempt I think to simplify the UI they have obfuscated certain operations".

With regard to nesting, it's an opinion thing and has been discussed ad nauseum on here. You and lots of others believe it to be "flawed", lots of others don't. I don't believe having been around here a long time that it is going to change in the forseeable future thats all.

There has been a lot of discussion about stack in stacks. And I agree that this would be a great addition. Maybe call it chapters of sections in relation to the Notebook metaphore.

I'd also love to get rid of the images in the snippet view. The snippet view is great for text and text gets obscured now by images if PDFs or images are attached to a note.

You could make this a setting in the view options dropdown menu or add it to preferences.

I would love to have synched 'recently used notes' and 'shortcuts' because I'm a solo user of Evernote on multiple computers. Now I have to hand add them to each machine.

Thanks, Jan

Archived