Printing Issue particularly Italics

I am having a strange issue. When printing any italics they come out with characters cut off. Have tried different fonts.... same issue. Running Windows 7, Latest Evernote (4.5.10.7472), Canon MX310 printer, also PDF printer. Please see attached screen grab from print preview. Print out is identical.

Thank You

Paul

post-109095-0-24052600-1351718654_thumb.

• 6 months later...

I'm having the same problem, and have noticed it now for over a year.  Windows 7, 64 bit.  Printing italics, especially (it seems) with sans serif fonts, is extremely problematic.  Odd for a program as seemingly sophisticated as EN.

See attached file, in which I've tried to include several different fonts.

Notice also the further oddity that hyperlinks print with the underscore as a striketrough.

I'd be interested in hearing from someone who might have some ideas.

Thanks!

post-57791-0-71555800-1369600318_thumb.p

• 7 months later...

I'm seeing the same thing.  It especially likes to cut off the right edge of characters.  It's as though it wants to use it's own character spacing without respect for the actual font set.  I'm going to have to copy it over to Word and reformat it all.

• 2 years later...

I am having the same problem (in 2016) and have reported it to the Evernote team. I've also started a new thread (awaiting mod approval now), so if anyone can share information or help with this issue I would really appreciate it.

@Jane Doe Glad you reported this to us. If you haven't received a response on this yet please let me know and I can get some eyes on it. Otherwise, our development team is aware of the issue and hopefully we'll have a fix available soon. As a workaround you can try printing from Evernote Web.

Thanks for replying, nohb. Actually, when printed from the web version (using Chrome or IE), italic text is printed as normal text (not italics). The last message I received was from Dave Z. He said the QA team will test and prioritize. I sent him a .zip file with text notes exported, an events log, screenshots, and .pdf files using the Evernote Desktop and Web, on Windows 7 and 10, and with IE and Chrome. Dave also wanted a video, but there's nothing really to show -- just File > Print.

Hopefully those files got attached to the ticket? It's #1429393.

• 9 months later...

Bump

Any update on this?

I just went to print to PDF something that has to be filed outside of Evernote for my customer, and, all my italics are a mess.  The print is next to unacceptable.  

Printing has been an issue for a long time.  

:(

Update: I went and changed all italics to underscores, and underscores don't print.  :angry:

Italics Issues.png

I've not received any follow-up from Evernote staff. Nine months ago, I got a customer satisfaction survey, so I responded that it still wasn't fixed. The response I got was that they were sorry I was confused, which is a non-apology, right?

"My apologies if it was not clear to you in the first email, but the issue that you're reporting is being worked on by our product team. Until they fix it and include it in an upcoming update we will have to be patient and wait."

So I guess "we" -- me and the Evernote person -- are just having to be patient. 

If you click my name, you can see that I've posted multiple times just about italics, and "liked" other people's posts about it, as a way of flagging to Evernote the multiple reports of this issue. It's been reported to them by multiple paying customers since 2010, so at this point it's just silly and infuriating that they are not fixing it. I have a really large number of notes, so unwinding from Evernote is difficult. However, I've already looked at how it exports to HTML and OneNote (with the tags, etc., from Evernote), and I plan to be completely out of Evernote before my renewal date.

It's a shame, because italics is pretty much the only reason I'm leaving. Otherwise, I'd happily continue paying a yearly premium subscription for the foreseeable future.

19 hours ago, Jane Doe said:

... It's been reported to them by multiple paying customers since 2010, so at this point it's just silly and infuriating that they are not fixing it...

I agree completely. Printing in Evernote has been awful for so long that we can reasonably conclude that printing is not a priority for the company and that it never will be.

19 hours ago, Jane Doe said:

...  I have a really large number of notes, so unwinding from Evernote is difficult. However, I've already looked at how it exports to HTML and OneNote (with the tags, etc., from Evernote), and I plan to be completely out of Evernote before my renewal date.

It's a shame, because italics is pretty much the only reason I'm leaving. Otherwise, I'd happily continue paying a yearly premium subscription for the foreseeable future.

Have you picked a program to migrate to? I'm trying to decide between: OneNote, SimpleNote, Google Drive/Docs, Dropbox Paper, and NeverNote. Really, what I'm looking for is Evernote with tagging but without:

• The immortal formatting bugs.
  • Random cursor leaps
  • Infuriating tables
  • Awful printing
  • WorkChat, Presentation Mode, and a lot of other bloat
  • Endless UI redesigns
  • A team behind it that values big-fixes and reliability over feature additions.

I haven't found that program yet. Have you?

@WeCanLearnAnything I've been using Evernote to capture notes for different areas of my life, so I think when I migrate I might split them up, with some going into OneNote and others going into a Wordpress site.The only problem I can see with OneNote is that if I want to export my notes from that system, my choices are limited to .pdf, Word, or .mht (all the notes in one HTML file).

• Level 5*

Folks, if you want to have a discussion of OneNote/Evernote/SomeOtherNote/export/import/etc. then this is probably not the place to do so. It's really nothing to do with printing problems with the Windows Evernote client. Thanks.

@WeCanLearnAnything In the Evernote desktop version, there's this menu path: File > Import > Microsoft OneNote. However, given the simple things that are broken in Evernote, I would assume there are issues with looping from Evernote to OneNote, then back to Evernote. Microsoft has the staff, experience, and dedication to their product that's needed to create a seamless transfer of files from Evernote to OneNote. I doubt Evernote has the same resources.

@JeffreyC @WeCanLearnAnything I received a response from the Evernote team. The short answer is that it will be fixed in an unspecified future release. It was a rather long email, but here's the pertinent part:

I think my answer will be a bit more technical than needed, but it may help in understanding why it is still an open issue after so many years.

Evernote notes are rendered using a subset of HTML, the same way Web Pages are rendered. We use Chromium, which is the underlying code that is used in Chome Browsers to handle how notes are displayed and printed. The Chromium foundation that we use is causing the Italics and other formatting/printing issues you've reported.

The good news is that our developer team is making some important updated to the note editor that will include updating the Chromium code. When this is complete, the issue will be resolved. This update is coming soon to the Evernote for Windows client app. We are close, but not quite there yet.

I notice that in the desktop version, if you click Help > About, the scrolling area of the About window lists a copyright of Chromium as 2006-2010. So either they haven't updated their About window since then, or they haven't upgraded Chromium since 2010. If the latter, I imagine it's a Herculean task because so much would have changed over the last 6 years.

I can't say I really understand the team's response.

They're saying, I think, that they haven't fixed printing or italics for years because the foundation is bad.

Why did they stick with such a bad foundation for so many years? And why should we believe that the fix is so close after so many years of so many similar-sounding announcements?

I sure hope they prove my pessimism and my skepticism unjustified by releasing a huge set of bug fixes really soon so the Evernote word processing experience catches up to the early '90s.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, WeCanLearnAnything said:

They're saying, I think, that they haven't fixed printing or italics for years because the foundation is bad.

Why did they stick with such a bad foundation for so many years?

Correction: a particular aspect of the "foundation" is bad.

Toolkits are software, and like every piece of software, they may have good aspects and bad aspects. When you choose toolkits, you do so to solve problems, and so you choose what you think is the best one for your problem set, but that doesn't mean that they solve every problem (and even so, problems may be undetected until after you've started using the toolkit). And once you've made the move to use a toolkit, you've made an investment of time to adapt your code base to use it, so you don't change to a new one on a whim (sometimes even changing to a newer version of a toolkit can be problematic, so that's not done lightly either), particularly if it solves other problems well. Also, as users of the toolkit, you assume the same position with respect to the makers of the the toolkit as we Evernote users have with Evernote; you don't have control over the code that you're using, so you report bugs and hope that they're fixed in a timely fashion.

If all of this sounds familiar; it should: how many posts in these forums begin something like "I love Evernote, except for <blah>"?

I'm guessing from the reply that they have the new stuff already in place, at some level of done-ness, and they're testing it already in-house. When that hits Evernote customers is anyone's guess at this point.

On 11/17/2016 at 1:05 PM, jefito said:

Folks, if you want to have a discussion of OneNote/Evernote/SomeOtherNote/export/import/etc. then this is probably not the place to do so. It's really nothing to do with printing problems with the Windows Evernote client. Thanks.

The fundamental problem is that some of the people who have posted in this thread have things to print, but Evernote has always handled printing very poorly. A fix does not appear to be in the works.

So, Evernote has forced us to look for non-Evernote methods of printing. It's perfectly reasonable to discuss the pros and cons of those other methods here.

6 hours ago, jefito said:

Correction: a particular aspect of the "foundation" is bad.

Toolkits are software, and like every piece of software, they may have good aspects and bad aspects. When you choose toolkits, you do so to solve problems, and so you choose what you think is the best one for your problem set, but that doesn't mean that they solve every problem (and even so, problems may be undetected until after you've started using the toolkit)...

Correction to your correction. :)  Many aspects of that foundation are/seem to be bad given the seeming immortality of Evernote's many bugs.

I'm sure MS Office, Google Docs, OneNote, SimpleNote, Libre Office, etc. all use "toolkits", too, but only Evernote is plagued with bugs involving basic things like copy/paste, backspace, undo, font sizing, etc. Evernote's formatting is uniquely awful and has been for years. Why?

6 hours ago, jefito said:

... If all of this sounds familiar; it should: how many posts in these forums begin something like "I love Evernote, except for <blah>"?

I'm guessing from the reply that they have the new stuff already in place, at some level of done-ness, and they're testing it already in-house. When that hits Evernote customers is anyone's guess at this point.

That <blah>  is often, like this post, a basic function that works in virtually every other program the user is has ever used. E.g. I don't have printing problems with Google Docs or OneNote or... well... anything other than Evernote. People just want their products to work. Why would they love the aspects of a product whose basic features do not work?

And I'm sure hoping you're right that they have some fixes in place, but if past is prologue, in 2025, there will be more threads just like this one in which everybody wonders "When will Evernote be able to print properly?"

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, WeCanLearnAnything said:

Correction to your correction. :)  Many aspects of that foundation are/seem to be bad given the seeming immortality of Evernote's many bugs.

Perhaps so, but that doesn't invalidate anything that I posted. Consider how long you've suffered with the (many?) bugs in Evernote? Something caused you to choose Evernote in the first place, and now, switching to some other program is probably onerous. That's the parallel I was trying to draw there. In my case, there's a lot right about how Evernote works (even including its note viewing/editing functionality) and that other note applications don't deliver, so that's why I stick with it.

25 minutes ago, WeCanLearnAnything said:

So, Evernote has forced us to look for non-Evernote methods of printing. It's perfectly reasonable to discuss the pros and cons of those other methods here.

I believe that the direction that that discussion was heading was not another way of printing, unless you're suggesting that the best way to print Evernote notes is to import them into OneNote and print from there. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't really think that that's what you actually had in mind. The relevant quote from you was "Have you picked a program to migrate to? I'm trying to decide between: OneNote, SimpleNote, Google Drive/Docs, Dropbox Paper, and NeverNote. Really, what I'm looking for is Evernote with tagging but without:...", so I just wanted to caution that the forum powers that be don't seem want too much of that discussion around in the forums, for some reason (though it exists); PM would be fine if you wanted to pick that up with Jane Doe (or vice-versa).

For my part, on the rare occasions I need to print something; I usually just copy/paste it into MS Word, prettify it with the more powerful formatting tools there, and print that. But that's not all that often, fortunately for me. Printing direct from Evernote has been problematic for a while, and should be fixed. No question.

Regardless, we now have, second-hand, an acknowledgement that Evernote knows that there's a problem, and the understanding that they're working on it and have a potential fix. Better than stony silence, wouldn't you say?

13 hours ago, jefito said:

Perhaps so, but that doesn't invalidate anything that I posted. Consider how long you've suffered with the (many?) bugs in Evernote? Something caused you to choose Evernote in the first place, and now, switching to some other program is probably onerous. That's the parallel I was trying to draw there. In my case, there's a lot right about how Evernote works (even including its note viewing/editing functionality) and that other note applications don't deliver, so that's why I stick with it.

What attracted me to Evernote in the first place was the thought of a single place to keep a lot of notes. Given the word "note" is in the title of the company and software, I thought it would be easy to create, edit and search notes.

I was wrong, but did not realize how wrong I was until I was fairly invested in the program.

Over the past year and a half I've found countless bugs and glitches. I cannot print a usable shopping list, a capability many computer programs had in 1992. Tables, which I need regularly, are infuriatingly awful, especially in the web browser. (E.g. It is impossible to delete a row. You cannot add or delete a column.) Undo and backspace fail on a regular basis. Font sizes switch around randomly. Cursors leap all over the place. Sometimes it doesn't even show you where the cursor is. Copy/Paste is very buggy, even within Evernote. Random data loss still occurs. Searching is not easy, as closing the "find within note" bar can make the cursor jump to the wrong place, completely negating the search.

And after all these years of bug reports, the typical customer service response is "We are aware of the problem and have been for years. We've never gotten around to fixing it because it's just so hard to fix or maybe it has just never been a priority. Maybe it never will be. No timelines. Just be patient. Keep enduring the software flaws."

And that's when Evernote employees actually respond. They've pretty much stopped responding to my bug reports, even after others have confirmed they deal with the same problems.

That's why I'm exploring alternatives as I prefer programs with reliable but small feature sets to Evernote's approach of less reliable but vastly larger (bloated) feature sets. Yes, it will be onerous to switch and that's why I've scheduled that switch to occur over winter vacation.

14 hours ago, jefito said:

I believe that the direction that that discussion was heading was not another way of printing, unless you're suggesting that the best way to print Evernote notes is to import them into OneNote and print from there. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't really think that that's what you actually had in mind. The relevant quote from you was "Have you picked a program to migrate to? I'm trying to decide between: OneNote, SimpleNote, Google Drive/Docs, Dropbox Paper, and NeverNote. Really, what I'm looking for is Evernote with tagging but without:...", so I just wanted to caution that the forum powers that be don't seem want too much of that discussion around in the forums, for some reason (though it exists); PM would be fine if you wanted to pick that up with Jane Doe (or vice-versa).

For my part, on the rare occasions I need to print something; I usually just copy/paste it into MS Word, prettify it with the more powerful formatting tools there, and print that. But that's not all that often, fortunately for me. Printing direct from Evernote has been problematic for a while, and should be fixed. No question.

Regardless, we now have, second-hand, an acknowledgement that Evernote knows that there's a problem, and the understanding that they're working on it and have a potential fix. Better than stony silence, wouldn't you say?

If they don't want people to discuss migrating away from Evernote, they should fix the 5+ year-old reasons for migrating away from Evernote!

And if you do need a lot of printing from Evernote, then, yes, importing into OneNote might be the best option. Since this is kind of ridiculous, though, switching to another program might be a better long-term solution if you need printing regularly.

As for Evernote's acknowledgement that there's a problem and their statement that there are people working on a potential fix, it sounds just like all their other announcements. I'm not sure if there's any reason to believe this time is different. I obviously want it to be. But it sounds exactly the same. 

I may not be around these forums in 2018 and beyond (I plan to migrate to another program over the winter break unless there are a ton of bug fixes by then), but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Evernote's printing is still unusable and fueling more and more posts to this thread and ones like it.

Evernote Team: Please prove me wrong!

@WeCanLearnAnything

1 hour ago, WeCanLearnAnything said:

(E.g. It is impossible to delete a row. You cannot add or delete a column.)

Did you know they recently fixed this in the desktop version, at least? It's not in the menu path nor the buttons, put your cursor in a cell (don't highlight a row or column) and then right-click. (See screenshot at the end of this post.)

It was about that time, though, that I noticed another table bug, which is that if you delete the text out of one cell and continue to hold down the Delete key, it will start to delete text from the cell to the right. Keeps you on your toes! :) For a lot of tables, I just use an HTML editor and copy/paste it into the note. I've noticed that you can even somewhat copy/paste tables from Excel and Word and it will more-or-less keep the formatting and look like a table.

But that does go back to the bigger issue, which is that if you must use a handful of other software to do basic things like print and make tables, then that decreases the overall usefulness of Evernote and makes you wonder if you can get the Evernote features you like in one of the other tools you are having to use, or if there is another tool that offers it all. 

@jefito I understand that you are saying we shouldn't discuss leaving Evernote on their forum boards, but wouldn't you agree that any software's import/export options should be investigated thoroughly before one even starts using it for anything important? That Evernote exports to HTML files was one of the main reasons I chose it over other similar tools. I wanted to be assured that I would not get "stuck", with all my hard work in obsolete software... and most software becomes obsolete over time, with only a very few exceptions.

I have praised Evernote to family and friends to a ridiculous degree, but as simple bugs remain unfixed for years I start to feel that Evernote is overextended on the credit I've given them. I'm a paying customer. I want them to be successful. I do feel that they would benefit from having one massive release that is nothing but fixing pretty much all the bugs. Possibly they haven't upgraded Chromium into their software since 2010 -- and Chromium is open-source, so, you know, anyone can work on it including Evernote staff. My bug report in Feb. was numbered 142,939; this week it was 1,908,742. That's 1,765,803 bugs reported between Feb. and now. Maybe they've done silly stuff in their project management system, such as designating a "core" and then branching for each of their release types (desktop, web, etc.), and then duplicating user stories, tasks, and bugs into each of those, thus bloating their total count, but still! That's such a big number I don't know how to make any sense of it at all. 

evernote delete row-column.jpg

7 hours ago, Jane Doe said:

@WeCanLearnAnything

Did you know they recently fixed this in the desktop version, at least? It's not in the menu path nor the buttons, put your cursor in a cell (don't highlight a row or column) and then right-click. (See screenshot at the end of this post.)

It was about that time, though, that I noticed another table bug, which is that if you delete the text out of one cell and continue to hold down the Delete key, it will start to delete text from the cell to the right. Keeps you on your toes! :) For a lot of tables, I just use an HTML editor and copy/paste it into the note. I've noticed that you can even somewhat copy/paste tables from Excel and Word and it will more-or-less keep the formatting and look like a table.

... if you must use a handful of other software to do basic things like print and make tables, then that decreases the overall usefulness of Evernote and makes you wonder if you can get the Evernote features you like in one of the other tools...

Yes, I did know the desktop version of adding and deleting rows and columns worked.

Also, I actually started a thread on weird way backspace and delete moves contents from one cell to the next. Yet another table bug to fix!

And, +1 on wondering if there are other more suitable tools out there for things like printing and tables, both of which I use regularly.

7 hours ago, Jane Doe said:

@jefito ... I have praised Evernote to family and friends to a ridiculous degree, but as simple bugs remain unfixed for years I start to feel that Evernote is overextended on the credit I've given them. I'm a paying customer. I want them to be successful. I do feel that they would benefit from having one massive release that is nothing but fixing pretty much all the bugs. Possibly they haven't upgraded Chromium into their software since 2010 -- and Chromium is open-source, so, you know, anyone can work on it including Evernote staff. My bug report in Feb. was numbered 142,939; this week it was 1,908,742. That's 1,765,803 bugs reported between Feb. and now. Maybe they've done silly stuff in their project management system, such as designating a "core" and then branching for each of their release types (desktop, web, etc.), and then duplicating user stories, tasks, and bugs into each of those, thus bloating their total count, but still! That's such a big number I don't know how to make any sense of it at all. 

Amen.

And those numbers are insane. I wonder how many of those bug reports are countless customers reporting the exact same bugs, year after year...

• Level 5*
On 11/19/2016 at 8:38 AM, Jane Doe said:

I understand that you are saying we shouldn't discuss leaving Evernote on their forum boards, but wouldn't you agree that any software's import/export options should be investigated thoroughly before one even starts using it for anything important? That Evernote exports to HTML files was one of the main reasons I chose it over other similar tools. I wanted to be assured that I would not get "stuck", with all my hard work in obsolete software... and most software becomes obsolete over time, with only a very few exceptions.

I wasn't really saying that discussing leaving isn't allowed; if people are leaving for specific reasons, then that's stuff that Evernote should hear (and I believe that they do want to hear it, even though it may sting). Also, general discussions about other software's pluses/minuses is usually fine, too, including import/export to/from Evernote. On the other hand, I think that they have limits on detailed discussion of competitors here (see e.g. https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/97314-changes-to-evernotes-pricing-plans/?page=194#comment-426252), and that's where the conversation seemed to be heading, so I was just cautioning about that. In hindsight, I should have probably been a little clearer, and posted the above link, so sorry about that.

On 11/19/2016 at 8:38 AM, Jane Doe said:

My bug report in Feb. was numbered 142,939; this week it was 1,908,742. That's 1,765,803 bugs reported between Feb. and now. Maybe they've done silly stuff in their project management system, such as designating a "core" and then branching for each of their release types (desktop, web, etc.), and then duplicating user stories, tasks, and bugs into each of those, thus bloating their total count, but still! That's such a big number I don't know how to make any sense of it at all. 

I'd caution you about reading too much into bug numbers. It's possible that they changed bug tracking systems, and/or changed new numbering schemes since then. Or maybe they open a new ticket for every customer contact they make through the customer support site, regardless of whether a particular contact results in an actual actionable unique bug or feature request (duplicates are probably very common, but you still want to track customer encounters). It's also possible that one bug/feature can spawn one or more related internal tickets (e.g. documentation, which is how it works in my company, or maybe a ticket for addition to the test suite, etc.) That is a mind-boggling number, for sure, but I don't think it's as dire as it may appear at face value. They do have an estimated 200 million users currently (though maybe less now, due to price increases and shedding of free users), but one actual bug for every 100 users in a 10-month stretch seems like a lot, unless something else is going on under the hood. Hard to tell.

• 10 months later...
  • Ex Employees

This is now fixed in Evernote for Windows Desktop 6.8 beta 2. You can download and install it from here: 

Please let us know if there are issues with printing italics using version 6.8 beta 2 or the 6.8 GA. Thanks!

Archived