(Archived) Evernote on Windows 8 won't display PDF

Bill2C

I've just installed Evernote on my Win 8 laptop and it doesn't want to display PDF files attached to notes prepared on a Win 7 PC. It identifies the PDF file but won't open it. Is there something I'm missing or is PDF not supported in the Evernote Win 8 app?

I've just installed Evernote on my Win 8 laptop and it doesn't want to display PDF files attached to notes prepared on a Win 7 PC. It identifies the PDF file but won't open it. Is there something I'm missing or is PDF not supported in the Evernote Win 8 app?

It's a known issue and something we're working on. We haven't been able to recycle the same technology as the Evernote Desktop client, but we are looking into alternatives (or at least giving you the option to open it in another program)

• 2 weeks later...
It's a known issue and something we're working on.

When you say a known issue, do you mean in the Metro app or in the desktop app on Windows 8?

I have the standard desktop app installed on Windows 8 and I am unable to open any attachments. I have tried

• Clicking the little PDF icon when viewing a PDF to open it externally.
  • Clicking the "Open" context menu item for an attachment.
  • Clicking "Open with" and selecting "Choose program".

None of these actions do anything at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to clarify my situation. I recently upgraded a Win 7 laptop to Windows 8 and have both the standard Windows Evernote client and the new Windows 8 Evernote App installed.The standard Evernote still works in desktop and appears to function as it always has. It's the Metro version that won't show pdf files but, apart from that, it is a very worthwhile addition. The interface is much simpler and uncluttered and I can see the advantage it will offer when the issues have been resolved. Looking forward to seeing the update.

By the way, there are some issues with pdf files in the Android Evernote App. Sometimes Evernote will show the content of the pdf file directly, sometimes it will show it as an attachment which I have to double-click to view contents in Adobe Reader. I would prefer to consistently see the contents when I open the note.

The standard Evernote still works in desktop and appears to function as it always has.

So, you're able to open attachments in the standard desktop version installed on Windows 8? Perhaps I need to raise a support ticket then because even after a re-install I'm not able to do that.

The standard Evernote still works in desktop and appears to function as it always has.

So, you're able to open attachments in the standard desktop version installed on Windows 8?

Correct, I created a note with an attached pdf in Evernote on a Win 7 PC. In desktop Evernote on my WIN 8 laptop I can see the pdf file content and add a further pdf file to the same note, which becomes visible immediately. In Metro Evernote, on the same Win 8 laptop, I can see there are two pdf files attached but I cannot open them. All I can do in the Metro version is to add plain text at the bottom of the note.

Interestingly, while I was playing with these notes in Win 8 desktop mode, Evernote upgraded itself from version 4.5.7 to 4.5.10. It still worked perfectly.

Archived