(Archived) Evernote Portfolio - My journey so far...

Ki Ora,

Had a few questions, but will share my successes with EN to date first...

My set-up (I co-teach 44 five and six year olds) is simple. Each student has a notebook within my 'class account'.

I use tags for curriculum areas and type of note (e.g. assessment, reflection, feedback).

My learners do not know the class account password, so limiting EN to within the class at present.

I plan on inviting parents to view individuals notebooks. They can feedback on their childs learning. I guess also students can work on their own learning through logging in with their parents support.

I love recording audio and webcam photos. Also love the amount of devices I can use EN with.

Now that I've shared, some questions....

1. At the conclusion of the school year, how to best send notebook to new teacher? Ideally, a teacher (and student) would have access to previous years learning. On 'graduation' I would like to (easily) save each year’s notebooks (for every student) into something they can keep?

2. Am I going to run into problems with class account - not individual? Everyone else seems to use individual accounts?

3. My main concern is a student deleting something@! Can I 'lock' or hide a note?

4. When I create a note that is needed in multiple students notebooks, it seems ridiculous that I have to individually copy the note. Is there a way to 'ctrl' select multiple notebooks to add a note too?

Finally, a request for any New Zealand teachers on the EverNote journey! Would love to chat with you!

Thanks.

• Level 5*

Hi - welcome to the Forums from sunny (!) Wales. It's good to see such a comprehensive and practical use of Evernote's features. The software isn't exactly designed for your use case (though it's pretty close) - maybe a friendly local developer could help you hook into Evernote's API and produce Evernote School for an even closer fit. In the meantime...

My first thought was to stress that this information is so important to the students and their families that you really REALLY don't want to have any problems, so I hope you're backing up data regularly and frequently -like daily!- to somewhere secure and preferably offsite. Search the forums here for more information if you need it.

1. At the conclusion of the school year, how to best send notebook to new teacher? Ideally, a teacher (and student) would have access to previous years learning. On 'graduation' I would like to (easily) save each year’s notebooks (for every student) into something they can keep?

You can export a single notebook to an EXB file, and another teacher can import that notebook into another account. You might also want to keep a separate backup for the students so they can have access to the collected history in the event they move away.

2. Am I going to run into problems with class account - not individual? Everyone else seems to use individual accounts?

Provided you're not allowing students to edit their accounts - see comments here about 'conflicting edits' when a note gets changed by two parties before the changes can hit the server.

3. My main concern is a student deleting something@! Can I 'lock' or hide a note?

..See comments above! Backups are your only protection if you have to let students change their own record. You could (maybe) keep a 'shadow' unshared copy of each student's notebook which is a duplicate of the public one, and copy notes between the two to keep both up to date - but if you're keeping frequent backups and there's a problem you can restore from a backup without losing too much work..

4. When I create a note that is needed in multiple students notebooks, it seems ridiculous that I have to individually copy the note. Is there a way to 'ctrl' select multiple notebooks to add a note too?

Welcome to the wonderful world of high-tech and just try to think of this as a way to improve your mouse action. Maybe things will change in the future, but so far as I know this is the only way so far. Talk to your friendly developer...

Hope that helps!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived