Lost note after upgrade

mistike

Hello,

I'm using the Windows client. This morning it updated to the latest version. After the update, one of the notes I work on every day was empty. The title is ok, but no contents. This is a note I work on every day, and had added a few lines this morning. The previous update in that note was from Friday. It was open when the program updated.

I checked on the web GUI : the note is there, but it has last been synced ... October 10th, although I never ever received any warning that sync didn't work all this time.

I did read this thread :

but it doesn't seem to work for me since I already have the latest available version, which is supposed to have the fix. Plus, my problem happened *after* I updated to that version.

Now, I don't mind losing the work I did this morning. However, losing the last month's updates on that note is a real problem...

- Windows Vista

- Update from 4.5.9.7465 (I think) to 4.5.10.7472 (267980) Public

- One note affected as far as I can see, which was open at the time of update

- NOT a premium user

- I don't believe this note contained any ampersand but I wouldn't completely rule it out. It did contain a lot of checkboxes, though.

If anyone can help or point me to the right direction before I open a ticket, I'd be really grateful

Thanks

Does this mean that you haven't sync'd since October 10th? Is the rest of your account up to date?

I would first open a support ticket and see if they can help. You can perhaps try copying the note and see if that brings anything back... but else I'm out of ideas

Oh boy. More sync issues. I suggest you open a ticket against the Evernote Sync, to find out if they have any newer version of your file stashed somewhere, and why your file was not being synced all this time.

Do you have any kind of backup of the Evernote files that are on your PC? If you have something like idrive www.idrive.com/p=idr101 that backs up changed files every day, and keeps 30 iterations, you might have a copy of it. You can also copy/paste a copy of the Evernote files to your own HD from time to time, or burn it to a DVD, just in case.

Let us know. Good Luck!

(I was composing my reply prior to dlu's advice.)

mistake and kirkill, do you know what level you were on previously?

And were you getting sync messages on the lower right of your screen regularly?

Is the notebook containing the note set to local?

idrive seems to be a good backup program - www.idrive.com/p=idr101

dlu, I just noticed my current title. What does it mean, and who/what set it to Alliance Lackey?

Not to derail this thread, but it's a leveling system based on your number of comments, with references to the science fiction tv show Firefly. Maybe I should change it to something like Arrested Development.

I'd strongly recommend opening a support ticket and get a tech assigned to work with you. In most cases they'll likely activate your Note History (if you're free) to restore note data.

Hi all,

Thanks for your answers.

Please note that my real problem is not the sync problem, it's that I LOST THE CONTENTS OF A NOTE when I updated this morning. I noticed the sync problem when I logged in on the web client to try and retrieve my note.

To answer your questions :

- Does this mean that you haven't sync'd since October 10th? Is the rest of your account up to date?

It's set to sync automatically every 30 minutes. But I never checked because I don't use the web client. It does look like the rest of my account is up to date -except this note and another one, that also contains a lot of checkboxes (they're actually checklists). This other checklist hasn't been wiped out when I upgraded, probably because it wasn;t open/active at the time.

- mistake and kirkill, do you know what level you were on previously?

I think 4.5.9.7465, based on the log.

- And were you getting sync messages on the lower right of your screen regularly?

Never noticed any.

- Is the notebook containing the note set to local?

No

I'll open a ticket. Thanks !

This might not be a sync problem per se, but the whole sync facility is suspect, especially recently.

I have asked via tickets previously, for some facility to compare my local db to the servers, at least as far as note names, and record counts, and maybe some hash totals, etc., but I don't think I got a reply. The sync facility should have such checks at a minimum built in, to attempt to insure data integrity, but it appears that such is not built into the Windows platform?? Or the servers?

I have always doubted whether the Web app/servers actually reflect what is on my PC, since there is no way to even verify it, and it looks like EN does not have it built in.

I have backups I run daily to idrive offsite backup, in hopes that it will save me if the server doesn't match.

Since a lot of people are not using the web interface regularly, and might not notice on other platforms, even if they do use them, if it is not bulit in, how would mismatch ever be detected??

More lost data - like this OP and others. Sounds like there needs to be some sort or audit program, and that the whole idea of sync needs to be hardened. Anybody agree?

• Level 5*
Burgers, thanks for the comment. Actually, your title sounds like a threat. Glad to know you had nothing to do with it, right?

Some folks can change their own titles; that one's all hers. Yes, it is threat-like, but it's a joke, like something your Mom might say...

I'd strongly recommend opening a support ticket and get a tech assigned to work with you. In most cases they'll likely activate your Note History (if you're free) to restore note data.

I'm having the same problem, beginning last week, after I upgraded my Windows version of Evernote on 2 machines. I submitted a ticket and asked for access to my Note History, but the only answer I received was the following:

" I am so sorry for your inconvenience.

We are currently having a issues with the newest version of Evernote for Windows. Please accept our apology and find that the previous version of 4.5.8 is working properly."

Because I actively sync across 4 devices I did recover one of my lost notes (3 total) because 1 device hadn't yet synchronized and I was able to make a copy of the contents before it did. But the other note had important information in it for work, and it would be very helpful to recover it. How do I garner the added grace from Support to receive access to Note History for my lost items?

I'm having the same problem, beginning last week, after I upgraded my Windows version of Evernote on 2 machines. I submitted a ticket and asked for access to my Note History, but the only answer I received was the following:

" I am so sorry for your inconvenience.

We are currently having a issues with the newest version of Evernote for Windows. Please accept our apology and find that the previous version of 4.5.8 is working properly."

Because I actively sync across 4 devices I did recover one of my lost notes (3 total) because 1 device hadn't yet synchronized and I was able to make a copy of the contents before it did. But the other note had important information in it for work, and it would be very helpful to recover it. How do I garner the added grace from Support to receive access to Note History for my lost items?

*quietly asks around*

• 2 years later...

Same problem. Did last Evernote update and lost my notes, almost all of them. Just kept one in each category. I still have them on my android, but windows 7 doesn't see them at all. Too bad, I was beginning to rely on this program. Guess I will only be safe if I put my notes in a word file and store in another venue.

Archived