How Skitch + Evernote integration should work

mrgoerend

Idea

• If I clip something with Skitch, I should be able to save it to Evernote with one-click. This seems to be able to work. (Though it then gets locked in Evernote)
  • If I'm looking at a note in Evernote, I should be able to edit it in Evernote. That include the title, tags, adding text, everything. That "lock" icon should never show up in a note. It shouldn't be a thing. Don't lock my notes.
  • If I'm looking at a Skitch note in Evernote, Skitch should be the top choice in "Open with..." Then, after annotating in Skitch, the "Save" button should update the image in the same note.

I have moved to using Preview because of the second and third points. As crazy as it sounds, it's specifically because of Skitch's lack of quality integration with Evernote that I'm moving away from using Skitch.

I know this is another "grrr Skitch" post, but it's because you have so many passionate Skitch fans. It's because we love it that we're frustrated.

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5

I agree that this is the way Skitch should work. But it is a work in progress and integration is always high on ENs agenda.

By the way: Please don't double-post.

• If I clip something with Skitch, I should be able to save it to Evernote with one-click. This seems to be able to work. (Though it then gets locked in Evernote)
  • If I'm looking at a note in Evernote, I should be able to edit it in Evernote. That include the title, tags, adding text, everything. That "lock" icon should never show up in a note. It shouldn't be a thing. Don't lock my notes.
  • If I'm looking at a Skitch note in Evernote, Skitch should be the top choice in "Open with..." Then, after annotating in Skitch, the "Save" button should update the image in the same note.

I have moved to using Preview because of the second and third points. As crazy as it sounds, it's specifically because of Skitch's lack of quality integration with Evernote that I'm moving away from using Skitch.

I know this is another "grrr Skitch" post, but it's because you have so many passionate Skitch fans. It's because we love it that we're frustrated.

Let me talk about them in reverse order.

3. If you're looking at a Skitch note, you get a big pink bar with an Edit/Pencil icon on the right that opens up Skitch. If you right click on an image you get a "Markup with Skitch" option below Open With... If you miss that and go to Open With... Skitch is listed there. I'm not sure what the ordering is dependent on

2. We do need to work on this. But it can get pretty hairy pretty quickly. For example, if you delete the image from a Skitch note, is it still a Skitch note?

1. Glad this works reasonably well

Let me talk about them in reverse order.

3. If you're looking at a Skitch note, you get a big pink bar with an Edit/Pencil icon on the right that opens up Skitch. If you right click on an image you get a "Markup with Skitch" option below Open With... If you miss that and go to Open With... Skitch is listed there. I'm not sure what the ordering is dependent on

2. We do need to work on this. But it can get pretty hairy pretty quickly. For example, if you delete the image from a Skitch note, is it still a Skitch note?

1. Glad this works reasonably well

3. I do not have a pink bar. Here's what a Skitch note looks like for me: https://www.evernote.com/shard/s13/sh/5a63d457-f259-40c6-a544-7c9b5b8e3fa5/5af628834f4b41510c8c1ef9806c2e7f When I right-click on a Skitch'd image in a Skitch note inside Evernote, my choices are Save As... and Copy Image. I can't figure out a way to re-edit an image I've Skitch'd. Does what I'm saying make sense? After I've Skitch'd an image, I cannot figure out how to get it back into Skitch to work with it again.

2. I'm not sure classifying them as "Skitch notes" is helpful. They should just be Evernote notes. (Same goes for Food, etc.) Obviously, this could be a difference of philosophy, but as a user, I don't see the benefit of having different types of notes (all under the Evernote umbrella) that I can't edit inside Evernote. If I capture an image in Skitch, I can't then add text to the note later. :Sad face:

1. :)

Agreed! The lack of integration between Evernote and Skitch is annoying. It should be possible to click on any note, or image within a note, and quickly modify it with Skitch. Even better, why not getting rid of Skitch and simply add the Skitch tools to Evernote??

Any news on that integration process?

@vincr - For the Mac, if you are using the newest Skitch and Mac clients you can easily open any image or PDF for annotation in Skitch from Evernote by simply clicking on a button or even right clicking and selecting the options available.

Archived