Get PDF's in Evernote?

• Level 5

On your Windows laptop, drag the PDF file (not the link) into the notebook you want it to be in.

When I do that, I delete the original PDF to avoid having two copies of the same file.

• Level 5

You have to drag the file into Evernote.

So in the case of the PDF on your browser, you will have to save it to a PDF file on your computer first.

Thee are many free programs that will save to a PDF format. - Just google "PDF Printer" for some selections.

May be dumb question but how do I drag the open pdf to an evernote notebook when its open in a browser window or reader window??

Most (all?) allow you to save the open PDF (such as a bank or credit card statement). (Windows. I do this all the time.) There's a 'save' icon that looks like an old floppy disk. Just save it to an import folder & it will be pulled into Evernote automatically. (Please search the board on import folders, if you need more info.)

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Okay, I have pdfs already saved in my computer and I want to take them with me in Evernote. So, I dragged them in, which made them into attachments. That is, they are attachments in my phone's evernote, though they are not attachments in my installed(not talking about web-based) Evernote on my laptop

.I would like to have the actual pdf without having to download it. I hope someone clever can tell me how. BTW, I tried the Import Folder option, and it also sends the items as attachments.

I have Evernote Premium and run Windows 7. Well, the good news is that they will open when in airplane mode, so at least they are not using my data on my phone. That was my main issue, so I don't care so much now.

OP you mention that you are viewing PDFs in a browser. If you install the Evernote WebClipper addon to your browser - http://evernote.com/webclipper/ - you can clip all kinds of content, full or partial webpages, PDFs etc directly into the Evernote notebook of your choice.

This works for me in Chrome, Internet Explorer and Firefox under Windows. Safari is also supported so I guess you need to try it and see if it supports PDF saving under iOs ...

• 5 months later...

After I dropped a pdf into Evernote on my laptop, I opened it through Evernote on my Smartphone. The choice was using Adobe Acrobat and Kindle App to read this PDF.

So why do you store PDF in Evernote if you still have to use an external application to read them?

Thanks

Ramon

• Level 5*

After I dropped a pdf into Evernote on my laptop, I opened it through Evernote on my Smartphone. The choice was using Adobe Acrobat and Kindle App to read this PDF.

So why do you store PDF in Evernote if you still have to use an external application to read them?

Thanks

Ramon

Why not? There are plenty of PDF viewers available; why should Evernote duplicate that functionality if they don't need to, so long as there is the ability to let an external viewer take over. And you can choose whichever viewer works best for you...

• 1 month later...

why do you store PDF in Evernote if you still have to use an external application to read them?

Why not? There are plenty of PDF viewers available; why should Evernote duplicate that functionality ... you can choose whichever viewer works best for you...
At least from my perspective, I want an integrated experience. Evernote IS the viewer that would work best for me. For several reasons, the main ones being 1. that I can stay in-app (no unnecessary context switching... which is classic UX "waste") while navigating an entire archive of notes and references in PDF format (100s of documents), 2. that Evernote would natively index the content of said archive of PDF notes to make it instantly searchable across all my devices, and 3. that I would then be able to annotate and otherwise markup the content of PDF documents to make Evernote a true enabler for my academic studies.

Regarding duplication of functionality, that's beside the point. No one is suggesting the Evernote team would invest development resources in rewriting (duplicating) a PDF viewer library. Just embed an existing one. The concept here is one of technology reuse and streamlining the user experience rather than the implied negative of duplication. Actually, if you think about it, PDF viewers are rubbish apps anyway. Little more than a *.pdf file association target, I dislike that Adobe Reader even needs an icon on my smartphone. I'm never going to launch it independently. It's only there to respond to the need to open a PDF and only then because I don't have a better app to open it with.

Evernote could be that better app.

• 1 year later...

How do I get pdf's into evernote for later reading? On my ipad I can open in evernote (i think) but what about when I'm on my windows laptop and have a pdf open or a link to one??

first time on here but i thought i might answer this one as i simply set evernote to open any PDFs i receive, for windows 7 users, go to start - control panel - default programs - associate a file type for or protocol with a program - "choose PDF or whatever you wish" change program - browse to evernote and select it.  once it displays the evernote icon click close on the window and its all done :)  all pdfs will now open in evernote.

hope that helps someone.

• 4 months later...

Maybe useful for you and others, if having the issue of saving PDFs to Evernote using Print Screen.... 

When you are on the PDF select print -> save PDF as (Lower left corner) -> open in "Evernote" -> create new evernote with PDF or drag PDF in desired pre-made evernote.

If you do not have the "Save PDF to Evernote" option:

Have Evernote App in app tool bar. Double finger click or right click the app, -> options -> show in finder. Then:

Open your PDF -> Print -> PDF -> select edit menu (scroll to bottom) -> add ("+") -> applications -> select evernote -> save or ok.

You should be able to transfer PDFs to evernote easily this way. Sorry if not relevant to OP question.

Happy Birthday Year

• 4 months later...

There is something very basic which is not yet explained in this thread: how to get a passle full of PDFs into evernote as separate documents, or separate notes.

It does no good, for Premium members with OCR and Search capability, to put a passle of them into a single note as attachments - each needs to be a separate note.

I've tried drag/drop, Import Folder, etc. - nothing seems to do this.

Please explain how, with specific steps.

Thanks much

• 2 months later...

Archived