(Archived) Evernote for Windows 8 on Surface RT not syncing in the background?

vapor

Good Day

I've been using Everntoe faithfully for the longest time and love it.

I just got a Surface RT and was glad to see Evernote available for it. Unfortunately, my excitement turned to despair as it seems that the app does not sync in the background.

I have over 6000 notes and it seems that after the screen goes dark, it stops syncing. If I leave the app and do something else on the computer, it seems to stop syncing as well.

Is there a way around this?

Good Day

I just got a Surface RT and was glad to see Evernote available for it. Unfortunately, my excitement turned to despair as it seems that the app does not sync in the background.

I have over 6000 notes and it seems that after the screen goes dark, it stops syncing. If I leave the app and do something else on the computer, it seems to stop syncing as well.

I think when the screen has gone dark, the Surface has actually gone to sleep. So apps are quietly hibernated and brought back to life when you turn the screenback on.

You can change your power plan to not hibernate, and as long as you keep Evernote on the screen (even it's it is snapped to the side) it'll keep syncing. To change the power plan you'll have to go into the Desktop and find Control Panel

Good Day

I think when the screen has gone dark, the Surface has actually gone to sleep. So apps are quietly hibernated and brought back to life when you turn the screenback on.

You can change your power plan to not hibernate, and as long as you keep Evernote on the screen (even it's it is snapped to the side) it'll keep syncing. To change the power plan you'll have to go into the Desktop and find Control Panel

The problem is, even after adjusting the power options, Evernote quits on its own. I have to relaunch it and start syncing again and it would quit not long after.

If I open the "metro" (What's the right term now?) version and hit sync, then switch to another app will it sync in the background or can it only sync when it's in the forefront?

It can only sync while it is in the forefront. It's basically a sandboxed app that gets suspended when it isn't forefront, similar to iOS

Hi. I'm considering buying samsung ativ smart pc with full windows. Will the normal Evernote function like I'm used to it functioning Ina windows or mac computer? That is, background syncing via the evernote helper... Amazng that windows are ending up as bad as the iPad when it comes to the rt version

Hi. I'm considering buying samsung ativ smart pc with full windows. Will the normal Evernote function like I'm used to it functioning Ina windows or mac computer? That is, background syncing via the evernote helper... Amazng that windows are ending up as bad as the iPad when it comes to the rt version

So it looks like that device has an Intel chip. Which means you can get run your desktop apps just fine. You'll be able to run Evernote for Windows Desktop and it'll be just like the good old days. The Windows Store App of Evernote will act more like an iOS app. It's sandboxed and operating system gives it virtually no ability to run processes in the background when it isn't running

• 2 weeks later...

I don't need it to run in the background but it would be great if Evernote could program the RT app to stay awake and complete the initial sync before moving on, just like what it does with the Windows Phone 8 app. I see an update for Sketch, when is one coming for Windows RT?

Hi, same issue, crashes on sync (at about 70%) on Surface RT. Everytime, so app is unuasable. Have latest version. Happy to "PM" the activity log to dlu, but dont know what that is or how to do that--(if that is what you are going to suggest!). By the way, I am a paid subscriber. Thx!

I don't think there should be an issue keeping it awake since there are video apps like ABC player and Netflix that can do it right now.

We generally don't give out roadmaps, but we'll be trying to get updates out soon to you guys. I don't know if we can force the tablet to stay awake though

Hi, same issue, crashes on sync (at about 70%) on Surface RT. Everytime, so app is unuasable. Have latest version. Happy to "PM" the activity log to dlu, but dont know what that is or how to do that--(if that is what you are going to suggest!). By the way, I am a paid subscriber. Thx!

If you open up the Charm bar, under Settings > Customer Service > Copy Activity Logs to Clipboard

Then head back here to the forums, open up my profile and click "Send me a message" and that'll send a private message (That's where PM comes from).

thanks!

I'm having a similar problem. It will sync to 15%, stop for a few minutes, then the program ends.

I've restarted my Surface RT several times, then attempted to sync -- same results. Also, I tried to copy the logs to send to you, but after selecting that option, the program quits.

In case anyone is interested, we have a beta that addresses this issue. We've love to have extra eyes to make sure it works. If you reply to this thread, you'll be contacted to join the beta.

We're doing closed betas for Evernote for Windows 8 (Windows Store app).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

I was lucky enough to win a Surface RT at a conference and I installed Evernote on it, I have also been having difficulty syncing. I also have a problem opening up notes that contain PDF documents. I have installed the RT version of PDF reader but when you click on a PDF within a note nothing happens.

Using IE10 and your Evernote web version opens the PDF fine.

To be honest the web version of the Evernote service appears to work great on RT (although I am just starting out with the web version). I like the surface RT (its great for free) but I am not sure on the current Evernote client, I might just stick to the web version.

I had uninstalled the older version and installed the newer one. There is definitely some improvements as I was only able to sync to less than 10% on the previous version. With this new one, it goes up to just over 50% and then quits on itself. The screen was never off, it was always on, which is how I can see that the app quits on its own.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

I have just installed the latest version from the store on my Surface RT but it still fails to sync and just crashes out of the program. It gets to 21% then decks out back to the start screen.

Anybody got any suggestions?

I had the same issue a few weeks ago. I followed the examples of other users: delete Evernote, then re-install and sync. No guarantees, but it worked for me.

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here's a log of my fail'd sync:

Log opened on 2013/02/06 14:14:00 (UTC-5:00)

14:14:00 [4132] Application launched.

14:14:00 [4132] Opened database: C:\Users\mike\AppData\Local\Packages\Evernote.Evernote_q4d96b2w5wcc2\LocalState\Databases\funkeymikey.exb (516KB)

14:14:01 [4132] Closed database: C:\Users\mike\AppData\Local\Packages\Evernote.Evernote_q4d96b2w5wcc2\LocalState\Databases\funkeymikey.exb (516KB +0B)

14:14:01 [4668] 0% Authenticating user "funkeymikey"

14:14:01 [4132] Opened database: C:\Users\mike\AppData\Local\Packages\Evernote.Evernote_q4d96b2w5wcc2\LocalState\Databases\funkeymikey.exb (516KB)

14:14:07 [4668] 0% Connecting to www.evernote.com

14:14:07 [4668] 0% * loaded updateCount: 30

14:14:07 [4668] 0% Session cancelled, elapsed time: 0s

14:14:07 [4668] 0% * 0s (100%) spent in EDAM RPC

14:14:07 [4668] 0% Connecting to www.evernote.com

14:14:07 [4668] 0% * loaded updateCount: 30

14:14:07 [4668] 0% Usage Metrics: sessionCount=1

14:14:07 [4668] 0% Client is up to date with the server, updateCount=30

14:14:07 [4668] 0% * saved updateCount: 30

14:14:07 [4668] 0% Updating server items

14:14:07 [4668] 100% Updating server note "Getting Started", resource count: 9

14:14:07 [4668] 100% * guid={f8841761-52cf-474d-bced-03340697f03b}

14:14:07 [4668] 100% EDAMUserException: errorCode=EDAMErrorCode::DATA_REQUIRED parameter="Data.body"

14:14:07 [4668] 100% Session terminated abnormally, elapsed time: 0s

14:14:07 [4668] 100% * sent: 1.1KB, received: 130B

14:14:07 [4668] 100% * 0s (100%) spent in EDAM RPC

FYI on the latest update to Evernote Touch 1.1.0.19 for Windows RT:

If you've upgraded from the previous version of Windows 8, you'll probably notice a couple of things. First off - FABULOUS! Now we can see our rich text notes.

Problems:

1. In order to get Sync working again, I had to log out and back in to my Evernote account.
  2. Sometimes you will have to open Evernote a couple of times. It will open, and immediately close. Usually, the 2nd or 3rd time it works just fine.

Suggestions (just in case they're not already on the punch-list):

1. When you close Evernote Touch, it should save the current notebook/tag selections and re-open to the same view. Whereas now I have to go re-select the tags/notebooks I generally want to see.
  2. Include the checkbox option for todo list generation on Evernote touch.
  3. Allow selection of both notebooks and tags. If you only want to see notes of a particular tag in a particular notebook, like you can do on both the web and windows versions, you can't do that in the Touch version.
  4. For all versions - due-dates, please. (a link to Outlook/iCal would be the icing on the cake).

Thanks. Keep up the great work!

• 3 weeks later...

I have been experiencing similar issues. I have tried uninstalling, reinstalling, etc. usually the program works for one or two instances and then either quits updating, or it simply fails to load altogether. I emailed customer support (I"m a paid user) and they were not able to tell me if there was a solution to the problem, just that I could post a question in the user forum and to check back for the next update to see if it be solved in the next release. Anyone know if a solution is in the works? In the meantime I have just uninstalled it and I"m using Microsoft OneNote until Evernote is running smoothly. - Rod

I have been experiencing similar issues. I have tried uninstalling, reinstalling, etc. usually the program works for one or two instances and then either quits updating, or it simply fails to load altogether. I emailed customer support (I"m a paid user) and they were not able to tell me if there was a solution to the problem, just that I could post a question in the user forum and to check back for the next update to see if it be solved in the next release. Anyone know if a solution is in the works? In the meantime I have just uninstalled it and I"m using Microsoft OneNote until Evernote is running smoothly. - Rod

Rod, have you sent in any activity logs? If so, you can post (or PM me) the ticket number and I'll get your logs from customer support. If not, would you mind PMing me logs of the last failure?

thanks much!

I have similar sync issue on Surface RT. I can't sync on Windows RT. I can sync on Windows 8 (Desktop/Metro) normally. Evernote (Store Version on RT) crash either lounch or syncing to tens of %. And crash with activity log commands too. I tried re-install and logout evernote. How could I fix this situation?

Hi

I am adding my name to the long list of folks for whom Evernote touch is, as of today, not synching with the web based version.   I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling - it synchs the first time, but not after that even when I choose "synch" in the touch version.  I am using Windows RT on an ASUS tablet.

In addition, upon reinstall it had clipped and saved a note from my email that I had not asked it to make a note out of.  Very bizarre.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

It's not that there is no reason to use Evernote - it's impossible to use Evernote on RT devices like the Surface RT and Surface 2. I was excited this morning when a new update was available from the store - and you know what - same problem. I don't know what the problem is or why it appears that Evernote can't seem to release something stable. I understand that T-Shirts, Bags and Scanners are the new thing - you want to build a 100 year brand - but let's be realistic here.

You have customers that can't use the product. The reviews on the app store are terrible. The group on G+ is slamming the product. You have premium/business users like myself with open tickets for months on end. I don't know about building a 100 year brand but either get Microsoft involved to figure out why you are having a stability problem with the metro version (and I have friends that have Surface Pro/Pro 2 - which use intel chips - so it's not an ARM chip problem). 

How many threads and posts/comments/rants will it take for someone to address the issue. If you want to say "Our product currently sucks and it does not work the way we want - but give us 8 weeks and we will have something robust", that would be acceptable. What's not acceptable is pretending that you are a customer focused organization that actually cares about what it's users are doing. You are not a lifestyle brand! You might want to become a lifestyle brand with your cute elephant logo - but your primary mission was to develop software to enable users to improve their productivity. Is that no longer the case? 

I'm done ranting for now. If Microsoft was smart - they would write an export app to take the data from your product and import them with the structure, tags, etc. - into OneNote. That's what I would be doing.

I remember Lotus 123 and Word Perfect. Where are they now? Installed base means nothing. What matters is how loyal your customers are. Don't let Evernote be the Lotus 123 for this generation. 

• Level 5*

It's not that there is no reason to use Evernote - it's impossible to use Evernote on RT devices like the Surface RT and Surface 2. I was excited this morning when a new update was available from the store - and you know what - same problem. I don't know what the problem is or why it appears that Evernote can't seem to release something stable. I understand that T-Shirts, Bags and Scanners are the new thing - you want to build a 100 year brand - but let's be realistic here.

You have customers that can't use the product. The reviews on the app store are terrible. The group on G+ is slamming the product. You have premium/business users like myself with open tickets for months on end. I don't know about building a 100 year brand but either get Microsoft involved to figure out why you are having a stability problem with the metro version (and I have friends that have Surface Pro/Pro 2 - which use intel chips - so it's not an ARM chip problem). 

How many threads and posts/comments/rants will it take for someone to address the issue. If you want to say "Our product currently sucks and it does not work the way we want - but give us 8 weeks and we will have something robust", that would be acceptable. What's not acceptable is pretending that you are a customer focused organization that actually cares about what it's users are doing. You are not a lifestyle brand! You might want to become a lifestyle brand with your cute elephant logo - but your primary mission was to develop software to enable users to improve their productivity. Is that no longer the case? 

I'm done ranting for now. If Microsoft was smart - they would write an export app to take the data from your product and import them with the structure, tags, etc. - into OneNote. That's what I would be doing.

I remember Lotus 123 and Word Perfect. Where are they now? Installed base means nothing. What matters is how loyal your customers are. Don't let Evernote be the Lotus 123 for this generation.

Hi. Thanks for providing feedback for the developers. Please don't spam the forums by copy/pasting posts. Thanks!

Hi. Thanks for providing feedback for the developers. Please don't spam the forums by copy/pasting posts. Thanks!

Spam the forums? I just answering the multiple threads regarding the same issue. Perhaps if you could consolidate the threads every once in a while, I would not be forced to do it.

Do you have anything productive to add? I have read through the responses and it wouldn't kill Evernote to have actual support reps on here providing feedback instead of having "evangelists" provide completely useless and misleading or otherwise biased answers. 

I hope you are getting a t-shirt from the new collection to compensate you for your time in the salt mines...

And if you look - I only pasted my response to forum questions directly related to my issue. The other post was to explain to a user how to remove the Metro app from their Windows 8 installation. 

Let's not get crazy with calling my posts SPAM. I have an open ticket for months here. I was hoping that someone here would have suggestions. Clearly, you are more concerned with decorum than you are with providing answers. I guess that is what it means to be an evangelist for Evernote. 

• Level 5*

Maybe if I posted my response to ALL the threads - that would constitute spamming.

I have nothing to add, because I don't use RT. I wish I could help, but I am afraid I cannot. I will hang my head in shame as an Evangelist. I am enforcing forum etiquette. Please do not copy/paste your posts. That is considered spam (by me, at least) and will be treated as such. There is no need to update all of the threads.

Feel free to continue the discussion about RT.

The discussion is about Windows 8 - not just Windows RT. It does not seem that the metro client works for a large percentage of the people trying to use it.

Perhaps if Evernote had a real presence on these boards instead of selling tshirts, bags and other aspirational lifestyle items - you would not have to be bothered with my spam.

k

Evernote is a great, great tool but sadly heavily focused on Mac OS / iOS users.

As I am using Windows / Windows RT / Windows Phone I have switched to OneNote that now covers all features of Evernote, including OCR in snapped images.

And OneNote even has a usable text editor ;)

Vapor: I also think Evernote is a great product. However, if you're like me, and have migrated to the MS Surface platform, and reside in the MS ecosystem elsewhere (desktop/laptop, Office 365); MS's OneNote is a better fit. A year ago, when I purchased the RT I struggled with Evernote, until I had decided to revisit OneNote (hadn't looked at it in over seven years). I found the syncing, full text search even in scanned documents, the rich pen support and the integration with the MS Office Suite (all versions) to be fabulous. I imported all my Evernote notes to OneNote, and live and work in OneNote. You won't look back.

Vapor: I also think Evernote is a great product. However, if you're like me, and have migrated to the MS Surface platform, and reside in the MS ecosystem elsewhere (desktop/laptop, Office 365); MS's OneNote is a better fit. A year ago, when I purchased the RT I struggled with Evernote, until I had decided to revisit OneNote (hadn't looked at it in over seven years). I found the syncing, full text search even in scanned documents, the rich pen support and the integration with the MS Office Suite (all versions) to be fabulous. I imported all my Evernote notes to OneNote, and live and work in OneNote. You won't look back.

Can you tell me how you went about importing your Evernote notes to OneNote? I am looking for a way to retain my folder structure, etc. 

Thanks,

K

It's been a while, so I'm not sure I can remember. First, I setup the structure in ON to mimick what I had (or wanted) in EN. Then I took just the current notes, and simply cut-and-pasted them from EN to ON - yes, one note at a time. Then, I printed the remaining ENs to the "Send-to-OneNote" printer. They all show up in one note; but they were just for history, and I only wanted to be able to search for and find the information if necessary, so it didn't matter.

Archived