Hand note taking, scan and send them to Evernote?

hi

iam a teacher who recently have discovered evernote...

i am always taking notes in meetings, and would like to have all notes in my tablet or mobile, via evernote

i have several folders in evernote to organize things, use web clipper, pending tasks, etc...

but i do not know how to scan my sheets with notes, i have a htc mobile, and send them to evernote...

i can not find any app that scans note sheets properly, and even my main worry is how to do a workflow and do it

asap not to lose much time

could you help me

the goals are quite simple, write notes in a paper, (could i use moleskine templates to make it easier???), scan them with high quality,

send them to evernote to later read them

thanks for your help, any info is welcome

hi

i will have a look at this pen, but basically i need, note taking (handwritting) (with templates, if it possible??), photo or scan via htc mobile with android, send it evernote,

and later work with these scan with evernote...

is there any articles of info about how to do it as a workflow not to waste time?

thanks for your help

• Level 5*

I prefer to write with a stylus on my iPad/Nexus 7. When writing on paper, I prefer to scan it with my ScanSnap. If you are just using a mobile phone of some sort, you could handwrite the note, take a photo of it, and import that into Evernote. It's easy to do, but I usually edit it a bit (reducing the file size) before putting it into Evernote. In iOS I use ScannerPro. I think ScanR in Android works similarly. None of these mehtods are especially time consuming.

i will follow your commments, anyway i just find that evernote do not scan my last pictures (photos taken by android htc camera) maybe because of it´s size, i put the maximum resolution so maybe evernotes does not scan it...

could you tell me a basic workflow: in order to take notes, which template paper shoul i use? small? grid? camera is htc mobile android, which scan app should i use? and the resolution of the camera? small?

thanks for your help, any commments will be appreciated

If you're a teacher chances are you have access to a newer Mutifunction copier/scanner type device at your school or college. (I work at a college) I have become a big user of the EN email option. I can feed a bunch of paper into the Xerox scanner and have it create a PDF and then send it to my evernote email address. Thus I was able to quickly and easily digitize hundreds of pages and clear up my office :)

• Like 1

For me it would be enough to know:

- the best app in android to scan documents. could it be camscanner for android? i can not just take photos with my mobile as light, camera quality etc are an isuue. I do not which resolution i should use to later use notes, jpgs, in evernote. i have a htc mobile with android.

- sheets of paper, templates, suitable to later scan them. moleskine or similar, easy paper to write on. Which notebook should i use it, the easiest one to scan?

- how to upload the photo of the note to evernote, any workflow?

i have mainly daily notes to have to upload to evernote

thanks for your help

Edited by Mikel Teacher
  • Like 1

Please note that the OCRing occurs on the EN servers. Premium users have priority. You need to make sure you've uploaded your image to the EN servers, allowed sufficient time for them to process & then sync again to get the indexing down to your desktop/mobile client. Additionally, it's not an exact science. Indexing words in images produces a tree of possibilities rather than one word for one word. So the word 'house' may show up when searching for the word 'horse'.

• Like 1

Mikel Teacher, I suppose that you handwrite some notes along the day and want to put it right away in Evernote using your android phone, and the camera of your phone isn't good.

Best app

I don't know which is the best scan app for android. But I've tried some and then bought Droid Scan (there's also a free/light version). It helps if the phone camera is good. But if it is not, you can adjust (edges, brightness, contrast, color) the scanned paper with the scan app.

Kind of paper

It doesn't matter. You can write anywhere and send the photo to Evernote. Actually, I recomend white paper with dark color pen. And instead of using a A4 sheet, try to cut the sheet in half or in four parts (because it will be better to capture with the bad cam).

Workflow 01

Write down anything in a piece of paper. Get the android phone, open Evernote app. Tap to create new note. Tap the camera simbol to take a photo. Tap the icon that open the camera to create a new note. Take a picture of the paper. Click "save" the photo. (and then the photo will be attached to the evernote note). (if you want, type something describing the content, add tags, etc) Save the evernote note. (now your note is in evernote on your phone). Sync Evernote to internet.

Workflow 02

Write down anything in a piece of paper. Get the android phone. Open the scan app. Take the photo and adjust it if needed. In the scan app, tap Share... to Evernote. (It will open a new evernote note with the picture attached). (if you want, type something describing the content, add tags, etc) Save the evernote note. (now your note is in evernote on your phone). Sync Evernote to internet.

Tips

• I prefer to send these kind of short notes to Evernote in jpg or png, rather than pdf, because when I open the note in android, I see the picture right away. If it were in pdf, I'd have to take a extra step, opening thepdf with a pdf reader...
  • See BurguerNFries post above about OCR in Evernote.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

I use CamScanner for Android which can save both pictures and PDF files. A photograph is better for many individual 'scans' because you don't need to turn on the computer for a single sheet of paper, and printing on boxes, bottles and other 3D items is (obviously) unscannable. Also wall-charts, whiteboards etc can be captured with full notes. I did build a full-on camera stand for some large items where camera shake and picture quality was an issue, but mobile cameras are smart enough to take the picture between shakes for most normal cases.

With handwritten and picture notes, don't forget to add the best title and tags you can - OCR can only go so far with my hand scrawl too. My eyes are a lot better at interpreting the content once I found the right note.

• 5 years later...

I use CamScanner for Android also.  In fact have been using it for years, and they introduced me to Evernote to use in conjunction with CamScanner.  

I purchased the early version of CamScanner, and at that time, they did not have an web storage capability.  Now they are charging for that online storage capability, similar or competing with evernote.  

My question is, will evernote team develop a similar simply editable scanner, like a Camscanner, because it would integrate the whole process from scan to storage in one app.  And what I am also suggesting is that I prefer evernote for online storage.  

Please advise, and thanks for your input.  

Regards,

Bacala

• Level 5*
On 29/03/2018 at 11:33 PM, Bacala said:

will evernote team develop a similar simply editable scanner,

Hi. Camscanner (as I recall it) didn't have an edit option - it was just a scan and save process.  But scan and save is exactly what Evernote does.  Plus it is possible to annotate the scanned document.  Since Evernote is also free,  why not try it out and see whether it meets your needs?

• Level 5*
On 2018-03-29 at 3:33 PM, Bacala said:

will evernote team develop a similar simply editable scanner,

I'm using an iPad and Evernote's IOS Scannable app. It works well for me.

I'm seeing another trend; Evernote is adding options to the app camera feature.

• 1 year later...