(Archived) Coming Soon: The New Evernote 5 for Mac!

Jackolicious

Idea

40 replies to this idea

I installed the file at Jackolicious' link, but it says version 3.3.0 (300201) and it doesn't appear to have the new "look". Perhaps I've missed something?

The v5 beta is not out yet. When it is, you'll get it through checking for updates on the 3.3.0 version you have. No offense to Jackolicious, but he was not clear enough on that. His edit made it a little more clear but people are still missing it, understandably so.

It's hard to conclude anything just from a few screenshots and a short video but I'm definately worried about what I'm seeing... Judging by the looks of the video there doesn't seem to be a way to have the tree structure of notebooks visible in the left column which will be a MAJOR dealbreaker. Having the option to drag your favorite notebooks into the column is fine but when you have a account with 50+ notebooks which get used very regularly and a lot of them have sub-notebooks, then the new option of dragging them to the column is just not good enough - Not even close. So i really really hope that there is an option somewhere to display notebooks more or less like today.

Second problem is the center column where the actual notes are displayed - It looks nice with large "thumbnails" but that kind of view is only useable if you have a notebook with 10-30 notes in it. For notebooks with hundreds or thousands of notes in them it would take a VERY long time to scroll that list.

So if those two areas don't have an option to be displayed, more or less, like today then the new version will be utterly useless for powerusers. As i said, it's hard to conclude anything before we get to try it out, but from the looks of the video it looks like most of the focus has been on "pretty design" to please the regular joe instead of functional design to please everybody, including the power users.

I truely hope I'm mistaken!

We are still giving users the ability to turn on or off the left hand notebook navigation where all your notebooks are displayed. The default option is off but you can turn this back on if needed.

We are still giving users the ability to turn on or off the left hand notebook navigation where all your notebooks are displayed. The default option is off but you can turn this back on if needed.

It looks like the new left-sidebar with the big notebook icon and bookmarks is replacing the current thin favorites bar. I will reserve judgement, but it looks like it uses a ton of screen real estate compared to what's currently used to achieve (again, what seems like) the same functionality with the favorites bar.

I'm hoping that's not the case, though. Or, maybe I'm in the minority of people who uses favorites bar.

You need to be running the direct download version of the app (as opposed to the App Store), just go to Preferences/Software Update and check the box for "Update to beta versions when available"

Where is the direct download on the EN site? I cannot find it. Everything re-directs to the Mac App Store.

• Level 5

If you want to test the new v5 client, follow these instructions:

1. Make sure you are synced completely with no errors and have no offline notebooks (if you do, stop here)
  2. Close the toolbar helper (little elephant) and exit the app
  3. Move Evernote to the trash
  4. Download and install from here: http://evernote.com/...ile=EvernoteMac
  5. In the preferences, under Software Update, check "Update to beta versions when available"

You'll be all set!

EDIT: You'll be all set for when we release it :)

Did the Watched Folders feature make this release? This is something many of us have been waiting for since it hit Windows (what -- 2 years ago?). PLEASE tell me this feature made the cut. I had an automater script that did something similar for me, but it wasn't nearly as effective, and eventually (sometime after ML) the script broke, and I haven't been able to get it working again. I would really like to see this feature.

I installed the file at Jackolicious' link, but it says version 3.3.0 (300201) and it doesn't appear to have the new "look". Perhaps I've missed something?

The v5 beta is not out yet. When it is, you'll get it through checking for updates on the 3.3.0 version you have. No offense to Jackolicious, but he was not clear enough on that. His edit made it a little more clear but people are still missing it, understandably so.

Ahhhh....makes total sense now. Got it. Thanks Mr!

Is it too much to ask that people read the posts before posting? So much spam in here from people who didn't read the 3 posts before theirs. I can't wait for v5 to come out, the interface looks much more streamlined and less cluttered. While I'm not a fan of card view I'm sure there will be the usual list views and the shortcuts are going to be extremely helpful. Can't wait!

Did the Watched Folders feature make this release? This is something many of us have been waiting for since it hit Windows (what -- 2 years ago?). PLEASE tell me this feature made the cut. I had an automater script that did something similar for me, but it wasn't nearly as effective, and eventually (sometime after ML) the script broke, and I haven't been able to get it working again. I would really like to see this feature.

Hey Dan,

If you want to setup watched folders, you'll need the direct download version of the software. App Store software is subject to Apple's requirements for things like sand boxing. I'm still on OSX Lion but also ran into Automator problems. No errors or anything. The files simply wouldn't show up in Evernote. As soon as I got rid of the App Store version of the software, things started working again.

Please see the discussion here:

That's how I set my system up and things are working great. Let me know if you continue to have issues, and I'll do what I can to help.

It looks like the new left-sidebar with the big notebook icon and bookmarks is replacing the current thin favorites bar. I will reserve judgement, but it looks like it uses a ton of screen real estate compared to what's currently used to achieve (again, what seems like) the same functionality with the favorites bar.

I'm hoping that's not the case, though. Or, maybe I'm in the minority of people who uses favorites bar.

Hey mrgoerend,

I would expect that you could simply not have anything in the favorites section and then that screen real estate would be available to other things like Notebooks and Tags. That's an assumption on my part, but traditionally Evernote has been great about expanding the things you want and collapsing the rest.

I've noticed several posts concerning what was seen in the video, but that's only a 2 minute deal. I recommend going to this page and reading through all of the features: http://evernote.com/evernote/whats_new/mac/. There's a lot more info there.

Now that we got that out of the way. Any ETA on that Beta?!?

Looks great!

Searching personal and shared notes at the same time also means you could create multiple accounts and share them with yourself and get unlimited amount of notes. That's going to be useful for (hardcore) users who are getting over 100 000 notes lol

• Level 5*

Alas, the hopes of so many so annoyingly dashed.

Apparently overtaken by the many, many more who can't keep track of their whereabouts.

I'll continue paying for my Premium Account because, for the time being, there is nothing better. But this is very, very disappointing.

Markdown? I use it every day, and would like to see it in the app as well, but let's face it: Daring Fireball won't mean much to most people. Some of the changes in the new app don't address my particular needs (like the one you linked to), but they are desirable, because they'll make the app more accessible for an ever-expanding user base.

I do think, though, that there is a nice niche market for someone to build a third-party integration that handles markdown. That would be pretty impressive, and there are already some promising solutions out there :)

http://devcup.evernote.com/submissions/8322-coda-evernote-plug-in

http://devcup.evernote.com/submissions/8669-enwiki

Thank you for the links. You will have noticed, of course, that this thread concerns the new Evernote 5 for Mac, and that the EnWiki has the following at the top of its "Prerequisites & Limitations" list:

The Enwiki executable is currently supported only on Windows 7.

Also, since Evernote is using a Premium-based system with paying customers, I'm not sure the "most people" argument is valid here. Most people won't flinch if the New York Times goes bankrupt, either :) I believe that the needs of the paying customers should be, at some point, attended to.

• Level 5*
Thank you for the links. You will have noticed, of course, that this thread concerns the new Evernote 5 for Mac

Yep. "Promising solutions..." Not ready for prime-time, but perhaps the shape of things to come.

Also, since Evernote is using a Premium-based system with paying customers, I'm not sure the "most people" argument is valid here.

I think Evernote ought to focus on new features that will appeal to as many people as possible, regardless of whether they are free or paying users. That's best for all of us, because we want Evernote to stick around for 100 years or so. If they squander resources on stuff that has little impact, then we all suffer. Markdown isn't going to get them to the next 40 million, but a better UI might.

Anyhow, like I said, I also want Markdown. I just don't want Evernote to expend valuable resources on it when there are so many other features (the devs know what I am talking about!) that Mac needs to prioritize. This would seem to be a perfect opportunity for a third-party developer (in my opinion).

• Level 5*

Looks great!

Searching personal and shared notes at the same time also means you could create multiple accounts and share them with yourself and get unlimited amount of notes. That's going to be useful for (hardcore) users who are getting over 100 000 notes lol

This is a huge benefit to the application, in my opinion. However, I do hope they implement selective syncing of notebooks soon, because having all of this downloaded into your database takes up a lot of room. I have several dozen shared notebooks I would like to join, but cannot, because I am on an MBA with storage limitations.

Sorry if this has been mentioned already, but I'm a biochem major at Winona State and I use a Wacom tablet to take notes. It's been super helpful because my o-chem class (and soon to be biochem class) involves A LOT of chemical structures. So I've been using Curio lately for one reason, I can draw right on my notes! But, I've been looking longingly at Evernote and it basically seems like the perfect app for me ;( I use wish I could draw right on my notes instead of using Skitch, which gets the job done but it's far from seemless (I have to do a lot of dragging and dropping, and it slows me down somewhat. Plus I have to kind of dig to get to the features I want like resizing the resolution and adjusting the pen size).

If you guys could somehow integrate Skitch directly into Evernote, or make a toolbar that let's me access the pen tool to draw right in Evernote OR make Skitch a little more Wacom tablet friendly that would mean the world to me!!! I would definitely migrate to Evernote then and grab a premium subscription right away! I just want to use your guys' wonderful piece of software :(

• Level 5*

You need to be running the direct download version of the app (as opposed to the App Store), just go to Preferences/Software Update and check the box for "Update to beta versions when available"

It's hard to conclude anything just from a few screenshots and a short video but I'm definately worried about what I'm seeing... Judging by the looks of the video there doesn't seem to be a way to have the tree structure of notebooks visible in the left column which will be a MAJOR dealbreaker. Having the option to drag your favorite notebooks into the column is fine but when you have a account with 50+ notebooks which get used very regularly and a lot of them have sub-notebooks, then the new option of dragging them to the column is just not good enough - Not even close. So i really really hope that there is an option somewhere to display notebooks more or less like today.

Second problem is the center column where the actual notes are displayed - It looks nice with large "thumbnails" but that kind of view is only useable if you have a notebook with 10-30 notes in it. For notebooks with hundreds or thousands of notes in them it would take a VERY long time to scroll that list.

So if those two areas don't have an option to be displayed, more or less, like today then the new version will be utterly useless for powerusers. As i said, it's hard to conclude anything before we get to try it out, but from the looks of the video it looks like most of the focus has been on "pretty design" to please the regular joe instead of functional design to please everybody, including the power users.

I truely hope I'm mistaken!

I'm somewhat new to Evernote so I apologize if I'm asking a dumb question.

but what I don't see in the current version, or in this new one, are smart notebooks where I can create multiple if/or conditions and display the resulting notes that meet those combined/nested criteria. Is it there and I'm missing it? Any thought to providing it if it isn't?

I know one can save searches, but that's a more rudimentary function than what I'm envisioning.

the new UI looks beautiful, but I agree with the poster above who is concerned about losing the ability to quickly see a 'tree' view of their notebook structure. hope that's in there somewhere.

Archived