Underlined Text Prints with Line Going Through Text

BzowK

Good Morning All -

I use Evernote for numerous things including notes and my own personal knowledge base. One thing which has always plagued me is printing underlined text.

Whenever I print a note which has underlined text, the underline is printed not below, but through the text underlined. (see screenshot below)

post-108369-0-10895900-1351178479_thumb.

I have tried printing to different model printers, different drivers, and different fonts, but still the issue persists on all of my computers. Not sure if it makes a difference, but some of my notes are copy/pastes from Word or Outlook.

I run Evernote on Windows 7 x64 most of the time which is fully patched as well as Evernote being completely up to date.

Any suggestions? Known bug? Thank You!

• 3 months later...

I am experiencing the same issue on a fully up to date Evernote on Win8 Pro.

I was able to reduce the effect by switching the entire note front to Arial from the default of Tahoma. The link underlines still touch the text, however, they aren't in strikethrough territory like Tahoma.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been through this multiple times with tech support. I had usually taken my notes that I would distribute to others and print to pdf. About the end of 2012 the underline issue showed up (it also has an issue with tables). My work around is to email note to myself and then print from my mail client . I also no longer have a Windows XP machine and this shows up on all my 3 Win7 64 bit machine.

To me it appears to be a major issue and I can easily reproduce on multiple machines. Hopefully they resolve this eventually.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

Well, it's most likely not a strikeout -- you could check the HTML in the note by exporting it to ENML format. If it were strikeout, you'd see the <strike> element. So a misaligned link underline. Not sure how that happens, but  it'd be worth submitting a note where that occurs as part of a support request.

• 1 month later...

After a lot of experimenting with the note text in the attr table of the Evernote main database on my PC (Win 7 32bit), I've confirmed by creating a new note and underlining text that any sort of printing causes the underlined text to be printed as though it were strikethrough.

I opened up the note xml and saw the underline formatted as <u>text to be underlined</u>

I duplicated that line of text and did a <span style='text-decoration:underline'>text to be underlined</span>

Opening the note in Evernote showed underline on both lines of text; printing showed the strikethrough on both.

For fun, I tried entering a <style>U {text-decoration:none;color:#cc0000;}</style> tag just below the <en-note> element. Opening the note showed the text that was underlined with a <U> tag with no underline, and red text, which printed as red text.

However, saving that note removed the <style></style> tags. I was hoping to be able to iterate the database and add those <style> tags in each note.

The only way I see now to make it print without the strikethrough is to go through the database and search out <U> tags and add a <span style='[alternate style definition'>text to underline</span> wrap to redefine underline to show something else, like bolding. There is no way to make it underline properly with Evernote when printing

I've tried PDF printer drivers, multiple PC's, multiple OS's (XP, Vista, Win 7 32, Win 7 64)

So I have to conclude it's a print rendering issue in Evernote and how it renders <u> and text-decoration:underline elements.

My note's XML, for reference:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><!DOCTYPE en-note SYSTEM "http://xml.evernote.com/pub/enml2.dtd"><en-note style="word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space;"><style>U {text-decoration:none;font-weight:bold;}</style>Rob Note Text 2013-04-18<div><u>This is underlined text</u><br/></div><div><span style='text-decoration:underline'>This is underlined text css span</span></div><div><br/></div><div><p style='text-decoration:underline'>This is underlined text css p</p></div><div><br/></div><div style='text-decoration:underline'>This is underlined text css div</div><div><br/></div><div><p class='ulfix'>This is underlined text css p with class</p></div><div><br/></div><div><b>This is bold text</b></div><div><br/></div></en-note>
  • 1 month later...

Is there anyway to know if Evernote has a "ticket" item open on this issue.  It is somewhat annoying when printing out documents for business meetings!!  I've also gone through various fonts, printer drivers, and printers.   It certainly seems to be a rendering issue.

Regards.

Tim

• 2 months later...

@Evernote

Dear Evernote,

Can someone please share us an update regarding the underline printing issue (#ticket 6836). I'm currently using Windows beta versie 5.0.0.980 and the problem still remains. Very annoing when sharing Evernote notes to other people in i.e .pdf format.

Thanks'

Michael.

@Evernote

Dear Evernote,

Can someone please share us an update regarding the underline printing issue (#ticket 6836). I'm currently using Windows beta versie 5.0.0.980 and the problem still remains. Very annoing when sharing Evernote notes to other people in i.e .pdf format.

Thanks'

Michael.

Evernote does not publish their roadmap or ETAs.

I'd hope that changes over time as the paid service becomes more and more popular. Not being able to collect and print notes puts me into using alternatives in conjunction with Evernote. And ultimately, if one of them becomes viable and handles a function properly, to switch.

My thought is - why put a feature out there that doesn't function properly - and clearly printing does not? And why not at least address the issue? "At this time, Evernote will not be prioritizing this issue because the print functions are deeply embedded. blah blah"

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just checked the latest version and still see the underline print rendering still does not work properly. I had also used single row/column to create a section separator and it's text also is not centered in cell.

This all worked a few years back on the older version of Evernote on my XP 32 bit machines. Hard to believe this still exists.

My work around has been to email note to myself and print to PDF from the mail client to put note in version that I can distribute easily that looks decent.

Hopefully it will get fixed someday.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

FYI, printing from the web version seems to work fine.  I know that's not a perfect solution, and that printing from the Windows application needs to be fixed.  But it may provide a better solution than emailing it to yourself and then printing, as others have suggested.

Printing from the Windows app is still a problem in the latest version released today (Version 5.4.1.3962).

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived