(Archived) Yet another user with WebClipper Cookie Problems!

m021478

The Evernote WebClipper clearly has some sort of a bug in it's code, as evidenced by the fact that I am joined by several dozen other people on these forums who have not been able to get the Evernote WebClipper to properly store a cookie (so that when I enter my username and password, and make sure to check "Remember", it will remember me)...The unfortunate fact is, that it simply doesn't remember!

If you search these forums for the words ("Firefox" + "Remember"), you will see that there are dozens of other users with the same exact problem...The Evernote admin consistently responds to these people by informing them that they must have somehow altered or changed their cookies settings from the default Firefox configuration...THIS IS NOT THE CASE!! I CAN ABSOLUTELY GUARANTEE YOU OF IT!!!

screenshot%2021.png

Evernote is the one and only Firefox 3 add-on I use (in my collection of about 40+ add-ons) that is unable to store a cookie properly...EVERY SINGLE OTHER THIRD-PARTY FIREFOX EXTENSION, PLUG-IN, BOOKMARKLET, GREASEMONKEY SCRIPT, ETC THAT IN SOME WAY USES A COOKIE, WORKS JUST FINE AND ALWAYS HAS!!...

Everything else that utilizes a cookie is able to store that cookie properly so that days and weeks will go by before I have to log-in again...The Evernote WebClipper is guaranteed to require that I log-in over, and over, and over (with approximately a 1-day maximum time frame between logins, regardless of the fact that I may be continually using the WebClipper in this 1-day time-frame)...

THIS IS THE ONE MASSIVE ISSUE WITH THIS EXTENSION, AND WITH EVERNOTE AS A WHOLE...THIS PROBLEM ONCE AND FOR ALL NEEDS TO BE ADDRESSED FOR THE GOOD OF ALL EVERNOTE USERS that use the WebClipper!!!

PLEASE, admin, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE....FIX THIS ISSUE ONCE AND FOR ALL! I look forward to a resolution, if you can manage...Thanks!

Micah Diamond

-----------------------------------

#### SYSTEM INFORMATION ####

-- MacPro 2x3GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon

-- 16GB 667MHz DDR2 RAM

-- Leopard OS X 10.5.5

-- Evernote WebClipper 3.0.0.125

-- Firefox 3.0.4

-----------------------------------

I am using the same version of Firefox on OS X, and this error does not occur for me. Please try disabling your other Firefox extensions to see whether that improves the situation.

I am trying it now...I've created an empty Firefox profile with zero extensions installed, other than Evernote...I've logged in to Evernote via the WebClipper and I've clipped a sample page...I respond back once 24 hours has passed and let you know if it is still requiring me to log in again, even though I've checked "remember me"...

Thanks!

By eventually, do you mean every 24 hours? Is that the amount of time it allows to pass before it will automatically log you out?

If so, I have to chime in here and point out that this 24-hour time frame is absolutely ridiculous! For me, and for at least two other people I know who also swear by Evernote, our biggest issue with the WebClipper is the fact that you seemingly have to login constantly...The major benefit of even having a WebClipper is to be able to quickly and easily grab something you see online when you first see it, with as little time required to do so as possible...

I also use Google's "Note To Reader" bookmarklet to capture all/part of a web page to my Shared Google Reader Notes, and this virtually never logs you out, especially not within 24 hours...It's fast, it's quick, and in seconds you can be browsing the web again with virtually no interruption...I also use the Firefox extension 'Scrapbook' to capture web pages for offline use, and all I have to do is simply hit a keystroke and in seconds I have an offline copy of whatever I am trying to capture...

The obvious issue with both of these alternatives is that I can't easily use them to get offline access to whatever I capture from my iPhone!! My main issue with the WebClipper is that I could most likely capture two web pages with both scrapbook and with Google's note to reader bookmarklet in the time it takes me to capture even a single item with Evernote's WebClipper...try it for yourself...that seems like a pretty solid estimate of the time differences...

The WebClipper could be dramatically improved if only the cookie could be changed to keep you logged in much much longer (like a month)...

Archived