(Archived) Save pane sizes/layout

chimericdream

Idea

Every time I open Evernote, I have to resize the left panel to make my notebook/tag names readable without a bunch of horizontal scrolling. It should note that I have nested tags, so I may lose 25-50% of the default panel width just from indenting.

I have this problem on both Windows and Mac.

Is this a bug? Setting that I just can't find somewhere? Feature request?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Edit (Oct 19, 2012): Edited to remove Windows as being part of this. Either I was blending my experience on Mac with that on Win, or I did have this problem on Windows, but not recently. Either way, I'm glad I get to sleep in this weekend. Perhaps my memory will improve. :)

5 replies to this idea

Related to the above question, I also wish that the expanded/collapsed state of nested tags and notebooks would persist across sessions.

I guess the idea is that when I open Evernote, I want the entire UI to look just as it did when I last closed the program. This should include expanded/collapsed items as well as the size of the panes. It doesn't necessarily include which item is selected (IMO, notes == data != ui).

• Level 5*

Just for the record, I do not have this problem with Evernote for Windows. The various panel layout information is stored in the registry, and appears to be persisted there when you completely exit Evernote via File / Exit (I can see the values changing). And even if I just close the main Evernote window, the layout persists when I start it up again. I don't know why this doesn't work in your case. BTW, I also see the states of the various panes in the left panel, plus the search state also persisted between program runs, which sounds like what you want.

Just for the record, I do not have this problem with Evernote for Windows. The various panel layout information is stored in the registry, and appears to be persisted there when you completely exit Evernote via File / Exit (I can see the values changing). And even if I just close the main Evernote window, the layout persists when I start it up again. I don't know why this doesn't work in your case. BTW, I also see the states of the various panes in the left panel, plus the search state also persisted between program runs, which sounds like what you want.

Right you are. Either I was getting mixed up from an older Windows version, or I am simply too tired. I definitely am having the issue on Mac, but I just tested my Windows machine, and it works as expected (just as you describe).

One thing I did notice that the Mac version did do was it opened to the last tag/notebook I was viewing when I closed. In doing so, it expanded the appropriate tag, but everything else was reverted (i.e. the left pane is back to its wafer-thin self, all tags are collapsed save the parent of the current tag, etc). I would almost rather everything go back to a consistent default on restart than have _some_ things persist and not the majority of the rest.

Thanks for the help. I will edit the original topic to indicate that the issue is Mac-specific.

Any Mac users have any advice? Is this a known issue and/or a planned feature to implement? It can get frustrating when the gap between the desktop versions rears its ugly head.

<side note>

I understand that 100% uniformity is not a reasonable expectation, but I recall seeing a user on the forums with a very long list of EN features that are in Win but not in Mac. That said, I'm glad that I even have the option to use one program on my work laptop (Mac), personal laptop (Win), desktop (Win), phone/tablet (Android), and basically anywhere else I need it (Web). I simply think it's reasonable to ask and hope for the Evernote developers to push for more feature parity without losing sight of how many common features already exist.

</side note>

• Level 5*

Glad that we got one side of the equation straightened out.

<side note>I understand that 100% uniformity is not a reasonable expectation</side note>

Feature parity is a goal that's been endorsed in these forums by Evernote staff, and I believe that they're sincere in that intent, though it's perhaps not as high a priority as some would wish. There's also the fact that the teams are independent. On the other hand, UI parity, I would think, is more of a vague goal, being somewhat dependent on conventions of the underlying OS.

I agree that things are blurry in this case, but I think it still falls in the category of feature rather than UI. Both UIs include all the same pieces (tags, notebooks, etc), so we're good on that front. But the feature that sits on top of the UI is the ability to persist the UI state across instances of the app.

It's certainly not a deal-breaker, but it's a pain to have to reset everything by hand on a regular basis.

Archived