(Archived) Securely removing Evernote files from Mac that is to be sold

Treo

Idea

I'm upgrading my Macbook Pro. I want to remove my Evernote files locally before passing current laptop onto someone. Is there some protocol for doing this securely without reformatting the laptop, which I don't want to do? Obviously I could just delete all the notes but I want to keep them online so I can resync the new laptop.

Thanks

9 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

I wouldn't even consider giving my computer to someone without erasing everything and reinstalling the OS. This isn't about Evernote so much as it is about basic security. You can trust them, but what if they lose it, or they sell it to someone else? Reinstalling the OS is such a simple procedure, I can't see why you wouldn't.

I know I said I was selling it, but it is going to a relative and I want to keep some software on there for them. I have deleted files as suggested and also done a delete free space in Disk Utilities.

• Level 5*

I know I said I was selling it, but it is going to a relative and I want to keep some software on there for them. I have deleted files as suggested and also done a delete free space in Disk Utilities.

I think my advice still stands. Why not reinstall the software? It might take all of ten minutes. A drive that has not been wiped (especially if you are not encrypting your drive) is easily read by anyone they sell it to, or anyone who steals it. Why not take a few minutes and obviate that risk?

Well, your original question has been answered anyway, so this is just extra unsolicited advice. Whatever you decide, good luck with it.

I agree with GM. IMO, the time it takes to reformat drives is worth it, given how prevalent identity theft is. I'd definitely wipe the drive, reinstall the OS & reinstall any apps for my friend /relative or have them install the apps they want themselves.

+1 to GrumpyMonkey

Wipe the drive, format, install OS and apps.

Even if you fully trust your relatives, you don't know if or when they may resell any given or sold devices they got from you. With very little knowledge, you can retrieve fairly easily data that you thought fully erased.

My 2 cents.

Simon

Archived