Suggestion: Focus should not jump to top of note-list after operations

Hi,

One thing that is incredibly annoying about the Evernote PC client, and which makes it hard to process/deal with lots of notes, is that whenever you perform an operation which would change the list of notes presently visible, the focus jumps right to the top.

So suppose you have a list of notes, and you're half way down, assigning some to a different notebook, or adding a tag which means they'd disappear from the list, whenever you do that, the focus jumps to first note in the list, and you have to re-find your position.

Incredibly bad usability issue.

A similar issue occurs in the note viewing window: if you are reading/editing some note, and then you add a tag (for example), the focus / cursor jumps to the top of a note. This makes it impossible to read through a note, adding appropriate tags as you go, because each time you do, you lose your place. Again, really bad usability.

Simon

I agree. I find that the document focus often shifts in unexpected and (after it happens more than a couple of times) annoying ways.

Additionally:

When I'm editing a note and change the notebook it's filed in (as I often do when processing notes in my Inbox notebook) the note is immediately closed and moved to the new notebook, leaving me staring at the top note of the original notebook. Then I have to go and search for the document in the destination notebook. I want the focus to follow (stay) with the note, not with the notebook.

An option/preference setting to allow me to change the way the document focus behaves would make me very happy.

• Level 5*

I agree that the shift in focus to the first item in the list view is incredibly annoying if you have a large number of notes that you are working on. Once you have assigned tags it becomes a little easier, because you can filter the view by the tags or combination of tags you have assigned. If I am adding/removing tags from a particular note I have learned the hard way to open the note in a separate window. Then the position will not change, and I can also assign the note to another notebook, still keeping the note window open. However, when I have finished working on that note and close the window, the focus shifts back to the original list (expected) with the focus at the top of the window (not wanted). It would be much easier if EN could make note of the next or previous item in the list when I started working on it, then go to the note above or below that position in the list.

If I am adding/removing tags from a particular note I have learned the hard way to open the note in a separate window. Then the position will not change, and I can also assign the note to another notebook, still keeping the note window open.

Ah! That's useful. Thank-you.

IHowever, when I have finished working on that note and close the window, the focus shifts back to the original list (expected) with the focus at the top of the window (not wanted).

I suppose you could add a special tag (e.g. 'working') to the list of notes you're working on, search on that tag, and remove it from each note as you finish with it. At least that way when you're sent back to the list, it'll be a list of notes you want to see.

• Level 5*

I suppose you could add a special tag (e.g. 'working') to the list of notes you're working on, search on that tag, and remove it from each note as you finish with it. At least that way when you're sent back to the list, it'll be a list of notes you want to see.

I have done that too. However, it is a pain to have to remember to add the tag first, and it is particularly hard to add the tag to a large number of notes in a very large (as in thousands) of notes in a notebook). I could also move those notes to another notebook, but in each case the selection is made more difficult by the jump in focus back to the first note in the record.

DLU, I hope that this will help your folks understand that this is an important issue for long-time users of EN, and speaks to the reason why people still ask for multiple notebooks and hierarchies of notebooks. It is just too hard to use tags at times!

I have the opposite problem. I might do a search to find some old note which I want to read; then, having read it, I click on "All Notes" to go back to my default view, and I WANT to go back to the top of my list of notes, but it doesn't, it just sits and displays the old note which I have just read (and which I am no longer interested in).

• Level 5*

Is the search still showing the strategy that you used to find the old note? If you clear that, do you have the same problem? To be honest, I have never noticed that problem. I have noticed the jumping to the top problem MANY times!

Is the search still showing the strategy that you used to find the old note? If you clear that, do you have the same problem? To be honest, I have never noticed that problem. I have noticed the jumping to the top problem MANY times!

No, after clicking on "All Notes" all searches are removed. I'd like to think that "All Notes" is a kind of "reset everything" button, except that it doesn't restore the list view to the top.

• Level 5*

No, after clicking on "All Notes" all searches are removed. I'd like to think that "All Notes" is a kind of "reset everything" button, except that it doesn't restore the list view to the top.

I just tested what you suggested earlier. I agree the focus stays on that last note clicked on when you click on the all notes button. The focus stays there until you press the down arrow key, when it immediately jumps to the 1st note in your list. If you click on the next note or the one above it the focus will stay there and you can using the arrow key. Very strange.

I just tested what you suggested earlier. I agree the focus stays on that last note clicked on when you click on the all notes button. The focus stays there until you press the down arrow key, when it immediately jumps to the 1st note in your list.

Thank you! Pressing the down arrow key is a nice and quick workaround for me and how I use the product! :)

• 7 months later...

I still have a problem maybe similar to this unexpected jump to top of the list.

I use list view, as Note List upside and Note Panel down. While focus is at the Note List, we can move to the next note with down/up key. 

Problem case: I selected a note from the Note List and made some change on it in the Note Panel, then selected(clicked) that note again in the Note List to restore the focus to Note List. When I press down arrow to move to the next note below, it goes to the top the list inevitably.

Hope this problem shall be addressed.

Regards,

• 1 month later...

I'm here to chime in -- I have around 400 notes I'm moving out of one folder and into a lot of others. But none of the notes I am moving are at the top, so every time I move a couple, I'm sent up to the top, over and over again. This is greatly annoying, of course.

What's worse, Evernote has decided to keep jumping me up to the top of the note list even if I'm doing nothing -- this seems to be a total bug. Help?

• 1 month later...

I'm here to chime in -- I have around 400 notes I'm moving out of one folder and into a lot of others. But none of the notes I am moving are at the top, so every time I move a couple, I'm sent up to the top, over and over again. This is greatly annoying, of course.

What's worse, Evernote has decided to keep jumping me up to the top of the note list even if I'm doing nothing -- this seems to be a total bug. Help?

I am also experiencing this issue. I am attempting to read through a notebook. As I hit the down arrow to advance to the next note it will sometimes just jump straight up to the first note in the notebook again.

Its really frustrating.

• 1 month later...

I am also experiencing this issue. I am attempting to read through a notebook. As I hit the down arrow to advance to the next note it will sometimes just jump straight up to the first note in the notebook again.

Its really frustrating.

Does an Evernote reboot fix this at all? I haven't found any other suggested fixes.

Its really frustrating.

Does an Evernote reboot fix this at all? I haven't found any other suggested fixes.

What does an Evernote reboot mean exactly?

I don't think there is any fix for this issue.  I've raised a bug report, and Evernote have acknowledged it's a problem.  

I discovered the following in my discussion with Evernote (for version 4.6) "It does, however, only happen when the Left Pane is open.  If you don't have the Left Pane open then it's fine.  Furthermore, if you close the Left Pane, then reactivate it, the behaviour is not seen until you choose an option from the Left Pane.  As soon as you pick an item from the Left Pane (i.e.  use it to select a notebook, or to run a saved search), then the behaviour is back no matter what you do, unless you close the Left Pane again."

The Evernote response I got was the standard "We've passed the bug onto the person who classifies them, but we cannot fix it for you at this time."  

That was in June this year.  

Given how serious this is as regards usability, it would suggest that Evernote don't practice dogfooding, which although hard to believe would explain a lot.  Either way, I wouldn't hold your breath on this one.  The issue is still there in 5.0.1.

What does an Evernote reboot mean exactly?

I don't think there is any fix for this issue.  I've raised a bug report, and Evernote have acknowledged it's a problem.  

I discovered the following in my discussion with Evernote (for version 4.6) "It does, however, only happen when the Left Pane is open.  If you don't have the Left Pane open then it's fine.  Furthermore, if you close the Left Pane, then reactivate it, the behaviour is not seen until you choose an option from the Left Pane.  As soon as you pick an item from the Left Pane (i.e.  use it to select a notebook, or to run a saved search), then the behaviour is back no matter what you do, unless you close the Left Pane again."

The Evernote response I got was the standard "We've passed the bug onto the person who classifies them, but we cannot fix it for you at this time."  

That was in June this year.  

Given how serious this is as regards usability, it would suggest that Evernote don't practice dogfooding, which although hard to believe would explain a lot.  Either way, I wouldn't hold your breath on this one.  The issue is still there in 5.0.1.

By "Evernote reboot", I meant close Evernote and presumably any background processes that were related. Shoulda been more clear there ;)

This is a real pity; I guess paid subscriber status doesn't give me any special entitlements, but this issue seems like one of the more consistent, glaring ones that should be addressed pretty soon. It shouldn't be too hard to figure out approximately how far down a list you are, and make sure you don't jump to the top without pressing Home or otherwise manually navigating, without trying to push you down to where you were first.

Ahh well, such are apps. Thank goodness I rarely do massive note organizations.

• 1 month later...

its pretty shocking that this problem has been acknowledged for 13 months now and it still hasnt been fixed.

its seriously bugging the hell out of me now for i dont know how long and ive been putting off sorting through any notes because it is just too frustrating being sent back to the top of the list any time i make a change. sometimes i wonder what they are doing with all the money we give them. they should really think about hiring a second developer ;)

• Level 5*

This is a real pity; I guess paid subscriber status doesn't give me any special entitlements, but this issue seems like one of the more consistent, glaring ones that should be addressed pretty soon. It shouldn't be too hard to figure out approximately how far down a list you are, and make sure you don't jump to the top without pressing Home or otherwise manually navigating, without trying to push you down to where you were first.

What other entitlements were you expecting that were not in the agreement that you must have read when you signed up for premium status?

In any case, is this a matter of losing the note that you were working on? If so, you can try the "back" functionality (there's also a matching "forward" function). Use the left / right arrow buttons in the toolbar, or Alt+ArrowLeft / Alt+ArrowRight shortcut keys.

• 2 weeks later...

So suppose you have a list of notes, and you're half way down, assigning some to a different notebook, or adding a tag which means they'd disappear from the list, whenever you do that, the focus jumps to first note in the list, and you have to re-find your position.

Hope the EN team could fix this.

• 1 month later...

As an extra data point, I have very long lists with various tags, and when I perform a "weekly review", I often change tags associated with individual notes.  With evernote, sure I can double-click a note and change its tags, but the list view is then "reset" taking me back to the start of a list, meaning I then have to waste time to find out where I was before.

Please fix this so the selected item moves to the next item in the list.  This is no different to how people process lists of emails within say gmail with specific labels.

It is a core feature of review.  Please fix it!!

• 2 months later...

any update on when this will be implemented? having to find my place again within a 1k+ items list is not fun. It's even worse on the android app.

i'd love to get everything into EN, but the lack of basic functions like this is making it extremely difficult..

• 1 year later...
  • Level 5*

Not sure if this was ever fixed, but this is really hitting me hard after I updated Mac EN today to 6.0.7.

Then you should probably post about it in the Mac Product Feedback subforurm, rather than tacking onto a Windows-designated topic.

• 1 year later...

I have been using Evernote for years. I just noticed the issue. The only things I have done lately is I changed from the Card view in the left panel from Snippet to Card. I am changing back to see if that resolves the issue.

Archived