(Archived) Evernote with My Lock Box

Hi, I'm a new enthusiastic user of evernote :D! I installed the program my lock box on my desktop computer at work and I'd like to synchronize some files I saved in the folder my lock box. I tried to use the usul procedure but I couldn't do it :blush: (I successfully sinchronized other folders on my desktop). Can anyone please help me?

• Level 5*

Hi and welcome to the forums. I don't use that software, but a quick look at their website includes comments like "your files will be not accessible both from local and remote users" and "your folder will become hidden and locked". I'd say MLB is just doing its job in preventing Evernote from copying the files in that folder. You might ask them whether there's a way you can grant access, but otherwise you may have to move files out of that folder if you wish to copy them to Evernote.

By the way, not sure if you mean exactly what you say in your query, but there's no 'synchronise' from your desktop to Evernote. Files that you put into Evernote are copies of the file on your desktop, accurate at the time you made them, but they will not be updated if you change the files on your desktop. Evernote keeps copies and you can change the copy in Evernote if you open the file from your note. That will not change the one on your desktop, They're independent of each other.

In fact MLB is redundant in this situation - Evernote is login protected, why not keep your files in Evernote instead?

Hi Gazumped :), thank you for your quick reply. I thought it was something related to the hidden folders.

It's partly true that there's no 'synchronize' from desktop to Evernote. If I update a file on my desktop it will be automatically updated in Evernote, but I can't do the opposite. So I would have liked to modify my personal files in MLB and automatically update them in Evernote.

You're right, I can keep my files in Evernote (...new user...I have to get used to this new way of thinking :rolleyes:!) but, as you wrote in your reply, MLB protect my files from local and remote users. Does Evernote protect them from remote users? I don't have any particular secrets but I'd like to prevent evil-minded people (hackers) from reading my personal stuffs (es. medical treatments, employment contracts, an so on)...

• Level 5*
It's partly true that there's no 'synchronize' from desktop to Evernote

Nope - it's wholly, completely, totally and absolutely true. If you change a file on your desktop, even if it's stored in an Import Folder*, Evernote will ignore you and the changes you wrote in on. What you store in Evernote is a 'snapshot' of that file as it was when you imported / dragged / copied it. There is no linkage between the two.

As far as protection from remote users goes, MLB and Evernote look about the same to me - someone has to break into your computer, hack a password, and then they have your files; but that's true for both. In both cases you could go further and encrypt the files themselves so you add another layer of password protection, but the effect is the same. MLB files are available (presumably) only on your home computer - so also you can create an offline notebook that won't be uploaded to Evernote's servers. On the other hand, allow the upload and your files are suddenyl available (to you) anywhere...

*Actually I guess more recent versions of Evernote than I remember this from might notice a change in the file size/ date in an Import Folder if you selected the 'leave files alone after importing' option, but surely these files would then be imported into a new note, not updated where they were originally imported..???

• Level 5*
It's partly true that there's no 'synchronize' from desktop to Evernote. If I update a file on my desktop it will be automatically updated in Evernote, but I can't do the opposite.

I do not find this to be the case. Using the WIndows client, if I import a file into an Evernote note using Import Folders (using the "keep" option), then if I edit the file later on, it then re-imports the file into a different note. I've never seen it do otherwise. I just now tried this with a Word document and a text file. Maybe I've missed something -- can you suggest a case where it imports to the same note in Evernote?

Archived