(Archived) Evernote with Powerpoint

I am new to Evernote and I was wondering how it worked with PowerPoint. I was wondering if there is anyway that I can share the PowerPoint with my students through Evernote? I would like to be able to display the PowerPoint through the projector and have the students be able to see it through there iPad or iPhone. Thank you.

• Level 5*

I am new to Evernote and I was wondering how it worked with PowerPoint. I was wondering if there is anyway that I can share the PowerPoint with my students through Evernote? I would like to be able to display the PowerPoint through the projector and have the students be able to see it through there iPad or iPhone. Thank you.

Hi. Welcome to the forums!

Evernote can be thought of as a container that holds anything. You can attach files to notes and then share them with anyone. However, Evernote doesn't actually "run" anything. It just stores files as attachments. If you want your students to be able to view an attachment, then they will need to have the appropriate software, and this does not exist on the iPad. There are applications that claim to read PowerPoints, but you cannot be absolutely sure that your embedded movies will actually play on the iPad. Moreover, this will require students to purchase expensive software just to see what you are already showing. That is because technically speaking, when they try to open the file, Evernote will look for that software, and open the file in that program (you will get an "Open In" prompt). In other words, Evernote hands off the program, and it isn't actually doing anything with it. One of the implications of this is that Power Point, and anything other than PDFs, is not indexed by Evernote for searching. It cannot read Word, Excel, etc.

As for displaying a PowerPoint while students view the PowerPoint on the iPad, from a pedagogical perspective this sounds a little troubling to me, because that would create a classroom in which attention is divided up into 10, 20, or a hundred different views (assuming a lecture hall). From a technological perspective it is no problem to have students doing anything on their devices while you talk :)

A lot of faculty offer their Power Points to students ahead of time, but not so they can view it in class. They want students to take notes on it as each slide is shown. I think most students who use iPads prefer to convert the PowerPoints into PDF so that they are easily annotated on the iPad (I recommend iAnnotate for this). This has the added benefit of being easily accessible (Microsoft does not have a Power Point viewer for iOS) and more useful for students (in my opinion).

Archived