How to recover audio recording?

• 3 weeks later...

This just happened to me on my MacBook Pro. I stopped the recording, saved the file and then closed the window. And now I lost a 45 min interview recording! I didn't realize Evernote was so unstable. I will definitely no longer use the audio note for such important recordings.

Also, I can't believe there was not answer to this. I can't believe there is no way to recover a file.

• 2 weeks later...

I cant bloody belive on this, just happened with me too. I was recording an interview for a important project and when I stoped my 15 min conversation with the CEO of an agency the audio went alway, vanished, that simple.

Please, someone help. It must be in the Ipad somewhere. I wont be able to make the interview again.

I just downloaded the DiskAid on my computer, I can access all the files in the Ipad, but not from the evernote, I open the folder and I only find 2 folders, Inbox and another one called, www.evernote.com.

I only have a PDF on the Inbox folder.

On the www.evernote.com one, I have a folder that is my e-mail and inside of these one there are somes files, and another folder called pending. And there are none of my files on none of it.

This is so crazy.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

I am having the same problem. I think that we will be more likely to get the creators of the app to fix the bug by writing a review for the app in app store.

I have noticed that when I record in EverNote on my MacBook Pro the recordings do not show up on my computer. I have no idea where to look for them. If anybody know where to look for them please tell me.

The upside is that when I use my iPhone4 to record on EverNote the recordings show up in the note. The downside of this is that whatever I record on my computer does not show up on my phone.

• 1 month later...

So I don't know about the MacBook but I was able to recover the recording from the iPad using DiskAid: http://www.digidna.net/products/diskaid

It essentially lets you use the iPad (and iPod touch) as an external hard drive. I found it in the Evernote folder.

In the future, it would be great if the file wouldn't just disappear if it can't sync, that caused some major stress.

THANK YOU Oscarrabbit. It worked for me. I'm so happy. 

• 1 month later...

Hello!

I've almost lost my recording of important interview today.  I am using version  5.0.4 (400702) on Mac.

After finding this thread I tried search my mac using Spotlight search, but failed. 

I already thought, that nothing can help me, but decided to use find utility from terminal.

BINGO! My lost recording was found in trash. 

Boris

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Y'all have iPads & stuff but I made a critical recording on my phone and the next time I went to record the title of the first.recording came up and said there was nothing in the note so it was either save somethin empty or delete.

I searched notes.for the title of my recording but nada. Where ARE recordings? I saved the first recording to a specific notebook and.the empty thing I deleted was in IN.

I know how inexperienced I am compared to.you all but I am freaking out here.

• 3 months later...

This happened to me and I was freaking out. But I ended up finding the audio recordings. Here's what I did on my Mac.

Found the file using Terminal but this isn't necessary once you know where Evernote stores recordings. If you don't you can use this tutorial. http://www.maclife.com/article/columns/terminal_101_using_find_command.

The terminal search I used was ~/ -iname "*.wav"

The folder where Evernote stores recording before processing was //Users/[name]/Library/Application Support/Evernote/accounts/[name]/pending-audio/

The [name] part is specific to your computer.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

It's true! You can find your "lost" audio recording in the trash. To be very clear (for EN newbies like me), open the Evernote application on your computer. Look for the trash icon. Click it. Click it again. There it is!

Mac OS X 7.0.5 on my wireless home network; iPhone and iPad are set to wirelessly sync with desktop iMac

Used iPhone 5 and free Evernote app to make loooong recording. The app broke up the recording into 25-mb chunks and refused to let me upload/share the chunks (even with myself, it seems).

I looked in Evernote's trash, had to click it a couple of times. Never mind about digging in the Library folder! Hurray!

I use Disk Aid.  I did a voice recording with it just to see.  In the folder that you see the inbox and your email, you should also see a file with the extension .m4a.  That file appeared after I did the recording.  I'm thinking if the recording is somewhere it isn't within evernote.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I know this is IOS, but just in case someone is looking form an ANDROID phone, I found my lost recordings here:

\Internal storage\Android\data\com.evernote\files\unsaved_notes

they are saved as .amr files, not .wav.  They play in VLC media player in the least.  Maybe other programs too.

Happy hunting!

• Thanks 1

I know this is IOS, but just in case someone is looking form an ANDROID phone, I found my lost recordings here:

they are saved as .amr files, not .wav.  They play in VLC media player in the least.  Maybe other programs too.

Happy hunting!

Yes, this is the iOS section...please do not post Android information in the iOS section. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

This happened to me and I was freaking out. But I ended up finding the audio recordings. Here's what I did on my Mac.

Found the file using Terminal but this isn't necessary once you know where Evernote stores recordings. If you don't you can use this tutorial. http://www.maclife.com/article/columns/terminal_101_using_find_command.

The terminal search I used was ~/ -iname "*.wav"

The folder where Evernote stores recording before processing was //Users/[name]/Library/Application Support/Evernote/accounts/[name]/pending-audio/

The [name] part is specific to your computer.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much "EvernoteMember"! I was recording my lecture on my macbook, went to a different note, and then the recording stopped and did not automatically save. I would like to add that once you find the .wav file using the terminal app, you should highlight the file > right click > reveal in finder. This is the fastest way to actually finding the file once it is pulled up on terminal.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

In fact, it is possible to recover deleted data from hard drive, when a file is deleted from hard drive, it doesn't mean that the file has been wiped from , the files system just make a "deleted" flag to the data, whihc make us can't see it as normal. Until new data save to the space where the original data save in, it will be overwritten by new data. therefore, you can try to use iPhone Data Recovery to recover audio recording from iPhone.

• 6 months later...

You may loose ur recording for following reasons:

The action of third party apps may erase the Voice recordings.

Some external threats like viruses or malwares has infected your Android device.

While moving voice recordings files to another location and suddenly the power fails.

You might have selected wrong voice recording clip while marking the unwanted clips for deletion.

All files would be erased from the internal memory of the device while restoring it to the factory settings.

But you don’t have to worry on how you will recover your data..

I would suggest you to opt for Android data recovery to recover deleted/corrupted recordings

• 2 months later...

Happy hunting!

@mohan37, I know you got..er..reprimanded for posting this here, but I want to say thanks. This thread is the one that came up for me first and I needed this info for Android. Shame I had to find it in the iPhone section, but I wasn't finding it anywhere else. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
On 2015/2/13 at 3:18 PM, addysonjohnson said:

In fact, it is possible to recover deleted data from hard drive, when a file is deleted from hard drive, it doesn't mean that the file has been wiped from , the files system just make a "deleted" flag to the data, whihc make us can't see it as normal. Until new data save to the space where the original data save in, it will be overwritten by new data. therefore, you can try to use iPhone Data Recovery to recover audio recording from iPhone.

It work for me. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

No one from the EN support team has not responded to this issue yet. These issues are ongoing since 2012 and the audio recordings still go straight to trash? I used EN today for an important meeting (all day meeting I might add), luckily halfway through I checked the audio and it was of incredibly poor quality and could not pick up half the voices in the room (despite the volume tracker showing otherwise). I was looking for a serious business note app. <_<

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Hi everyone. I just wanted to say thanks for all the tips and trix in this thread and tell you how I solved this issue for myself. It was a bit of a fluke I might add.

I recorded an important meeting yesterday in an Evernote note, opened my computer today (without closing it properly yesterday) and realised the recording was still going on! Without thinking, I pressed the X instead of the pause button and the recording was gone.

After a lot of tries in terminal, finder etc I opened the computers Trash Bin in the dock. And there it was!!!

So, just a tip - look there first!

So happy!

Have a great day! /Anna

• 4 years later...

I recorded a meeting today and the file disappeared when I reopened the note.  I followed all the suggestions here and could not restore it. I chatted with a helpful support person and sent them log files.  They warned me the file may not be recoverable.  The lesson?  NEVER record anything important in evernote.!

• Like 1
  • Level 5

It depends on the device you use, and on the EN plan you are in.

First: EN saves the audio file directly into the note. This means that the note size and the upload limit apply. When you are on Free, it means the recording stops after 25MB. But if you are close to your monthly limit of 60MB (say 4MB open), it will terminate earlier, after using up your last upload allowance. Who knows the file sizes of Audio will agree that 25MB is not enough for a longer recording.

For subscribers the situation is basically the same, but given 200MB / 10GB or more, the available margin is much more comfortable.

Second on the mobile devices, if you hit the wall, the recording is LOST. This is probably what you describe.

If on a desktop, the recording is not lost, it just breaks off, and shows a dialogue where you can save the audio file to the drive.

Here is a YT tutorial from Evernote about the recording on desktop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idQYgDujHWg

There is a help document as well - but the EN server is at the moment not responding, so look it up for yourself. I think it is in general a good idea to check the help database if you want to use a new feature. 5min well invested, from my experience.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5

It is by no means a bug - it is how the audio recording works.

Just because you exceed your note limit is no reason to start recoding the app. Read the documentation available, and you know what limits exist, and what to observe when recording audio.

If you want to do "unlimited" audio recording, use a tool that saves to device memory instead to saving the recording to a limited cloud space.

On 6/30/2022 at 2:45 PM, PinkElephant said:

It is by no means a bug - it is how the audio recording works.

Just because you exceed your note limit is no reason to start recoding the app. Read the documentation available, and you know what limits exist, and what to observe when recording audio.

If you want to do "unlimited" audio recording, use a tool that saves to device memory instead to saving the recording to a limited cloud space.

Don't agree with you here, @PinkElephant. I think we probably would agree that there shouldn't be an expectation of unlimited recording on a free Evernote plan. But software should fail gracefully, and a user unwittingly recording an audio file that's too large for the note and then silently losing it can't be an intended practice, so I think it's proper to consider it a bug.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

I hope this will help someone.

I was recording an incredibly important conversation and clicked stopped on the first one as one topic ended, then started a second topic and started a second recording.

I decided to click on a different note for a minute as I wanted to look something up, then clicked right back to the note with the ongoing recording, only to find to my horror that I had lost the 30 minute recording.

It took me a while but I finally found it!!!!   These things, are stored in the following folder in Windows 10:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Evernote\resource-cache\userxxxx\

Under there, organize the folders by date and you will see the recordings have these longer file sizes and names like:   78b98f878f9fc11a1f223c6c15f7848b

Click rename and add a ".wav" at the end of it.   Now you have the recording back!   I was then able to put it back in the note as an attachment.

• Thanks 2