Evernote notes converted to PDF

I am a writer and I LOVE Evernote. As a writer I really enjoy the flexibility it offers for me to go from phone to tablet, to computer and back to my phone. What I could really use is a way to convert my notes to PDF. If I could find this function, it would almost completely allow me to step away from my computer and use my tablet for my work. Is there any way to make this happen?

Thanks.

If I have a note I can go to File...Print and as my printer I select Adobe pdf. No problems. I'm not sure whether this capability came from Adobe Acrobat (which I use) or from Adobe Reader (widely available as a free download).

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi WaldorfEssentials.

In this thread (http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/23134-is-there-any-way-to-save-an-evernote-note-as-a-pdf/) GrumpyMonkey suggests a way to convert Evernote notes to PDF (have pasted his post below) which I have found useful --  printing the notes in Evernote as pdfs (choosing my pdf software in the printer options box and checking the print to file box). 

GrumpyMonkey

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:28 AM

from easiest to hardest:
copy text from evernote and paste into an email.
export note as html and send as attachment.
send link to note (sort of a pain if they aren't into evernote)
print as a pdf (print and instead of a printer select pdf)

• Level 5*

Hi WaldorfEssentials.

In this thread (http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/23134-is-there-any-way-to-save-an-evernote-note-as-a-pdf/) GrumpyMonkey suggests a way to convert Evernote notes to PDF (have pasted his post below) which I have found useful -- printing the notes in Evernote as pdfs (choosing my pdf software in the printer options box and checking the print to file box).

GrumpyMonkey

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:28 AM

from easiest to hardest:

copy text from evernote and paste into an email.

export note as html and send as attachment.

send link to note (sort of a pain if they aren't into evernote)

print as a pdf (print and instead of a printer select pdf)

Hi. Thanks for posting that :)

If WaldorfEssentials is on an iPad, then it would make sense that they cannot print, because in most cases uou need a special printer to do it. Apple controls the print function, and there is no way (as far as I know) to simply print to pdf. You have to build it from the ground up (unlike non-appstore apps on the desktop, which can easily take advantage of this capability in the OS or software bundled with the computer).

Personally, I don't want the massive amount of code that would be needed to make a print to pdf function in the app, because as a paperless guy, and someone who doesn't even own a printer, much less a special apple compatible one, it wouldn't do me much good. More importantly, though, it seems like an uncommon use case in general. I could be wrong. Is this print as pdf thing a daily use case for you?

You could make a PDF in a few seconds if you have the Pages app: copy > paste > export as PDF. I think the easy availability of a superior alternative (a full-featured word processor) like this makes spending resources designing the functionality into the app seem unnecessary. A lot of other apps can make PDFs as well. I think this distribution of functions among apps is kind of how things work best on the iPad, and the device is not designed to have do-it-all apps.

If you are on Android or Windows, it is a different story.

• 6 months later...

Hi 

We wrote a short blog post on how to use cloudHQ to export all your Evernote notes to PDF - especially if you have large amount of notes (like 100s of thousands). The cloudHQ sync does export and convert in the cloud and it will save all your evernote notes to your Dropbox, Google Drive, SkyDrive, or Box account.  So no need to have your PC running (or to have PC at all). Also, cloudHQ can keep PDFs version of notes in sync with your orginial notes: so as soon as you modify the note the corresponding PDF will updated too.

Here is the blog post:

http://blog.cloudhq....evernote-to-pdf

And the key option in cloudHQ sync wizard is "Export to PDF":

cloudHQ_evernote_to_pdf_sync_option.png

And if you have any questions about this feature and use case please dont hesitate to ping me directly - I'm founder of the company and any feedback is more than welcome.

• 2 months later...

You can try two other ways of making PDF easily from Evernote:

1. Post to a blog, WordPress ideally, and use a blog to PDF plugin to make single posts as pdf (or epub etc), or multiple posts into a single PDF, or whatever configuration you'd like.

2. Try Google cloud print to print from any device. Its very easy to set up and works from any device as its not device specific.

Hope this helps. My own issue is exporting a selection of Evernote notes to a single PDF. I guess I'll try the first option ;-)

• 11 months later...

I am with OP!! 

I get many emails every day, many of which require some sort of replies.  I used to just interlineate my responses in the email client.  This works fine, but it does not afford an efficient workflow like the one I have FINALLY found!  When an email requires a reply, I forward it to my EN account.  A couple times a day I then go through my default Notebook and tag items with projects, priorities, etc.  I can't emphasize how much I LOVE EN for this function AND the ability to do it on my iPad.

I would LOVE to be able to export the EN Notes I created via email into a .pdf format.  I could open the .pdf in a .pdf editor and annotate with a stylus, and then forward the annotated files back to my original work email address.  At present, there is no way I can find to complete this workflow via iPad alone.  I can't over-emphasize how much my remote work ability would improve if I could do this. 

• 3 months later...

On my Mac, I can print my notes to PDF (instead of printing to a printer) fine, but there are serious problems: the text comes out OK, but the images that are in the notes don't fit the PDF pages. On my screens (iPad or Mac) the images look perfect, appear properly within the text and fit the screen. When I print to PDF however, many of the images are too big, they are amputated or get divided over a couple of PDF pages, which makes the PDF look extremely awkward and unusable.

I tried another approach: copying and pasting to Pages instead. Alas, there are problems there too. If I Select All (text and images) in a note, it copies only the text. The image attachements in the note then have to be copied one by one, and reinserted (pasted) in their proper context in Pages one by one. That is extraordinarily tedious if you have many notes with lots of pictures, as I do.

So how can I make the images attachments fit the PDF pages?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The easiest way i've found is by using Yahoo Mail, it has 1 Terabite space which is PLENTY and if you turn off the Conversation Feature it allows you to copy and paste from a web page not just the text but the images into the email too, i honestly don't like the Conversation Feature because it duplicates whatever you send... or emails you send to yourself, so turn that off and use regular email.

You can re-adjust the paragraphs too and if you use the Indentation Tool in the Toolbox it neats things up a bit more, use the top one not the bottom, that one looks a lot better. You will need to create Folders to organize things, it sorts them Alphabeticly so everything is easy to find especially with the search bar tool so you can just search up the name of your Folder if you have loads of them or search for an email from someone, helps with the proccess of cleaning up your email too, it's probs the best place to space and organization wise. I too really wish they let us save our Notes as PDFs though because then i can just save them all into my email instead of having to copy and paste everything. I'm currently copying and pasting a Interior Design class and there are loads of pages... that was right after i clipped all the articles lol i have an old computer and having so much stuff all in 1 place uses a lot of space and i don't have a lot of space as it is, i didn't account for it using up lots of space so that's twice the work now, but i will remember now that i got 1 Terabite on both my Yahoo emails.

Edit: You can create Sub-folders in Yahoo mail :) good times! that's much better for email based storage, so now i have all my folders in the Interior Design Class folder.

• 4 weeks later...

Alternatively, you may want to use ExportNote (http://www.exportnote.com) to export all your notes to PDF with a single click. My answer is a bit biased since I'm the developer of this application, but I built ExportNote to solve this very same problem: I couldn't find any easy way to export all my notes to PDF (including local notebooks) while preserving the organization in stacks, notebooks, and notes. Let me know if you have any question or request of new features!

• 2 months later...
  • Level 5

I have a PDF conversion utility called pdfFactory, which installs as a printer. To convert an Evernote note to PDF I click the Print button, then click pdfFactory in the Print dialog. 2 clicks. Yes, I had to install a separate utility; but then that utility is available for every program on my computer.

• 2 months later...
On 5.6.2016 at 7:49 PM, Jerome S said:

Alternatively, you may want to use ExportNote (http://www.exportnote.com) to export all your notes to PDF with a single click. My answer is a bit biased since I'm the developer of this application, but I built ExportNote to solve this very same problem: I couldn't find any easy way to export all my notes to PDF (including local notebooks) while preserving the organization in stacks, notebooks, and notes. Let me know if you have any question or request of new features!

Jerome S,

mighty pleased to come across your utility. Small but really powerful!

Thanks for the superb work you put into it. Not only batch conversion but automated replication of filing system. 

Allows the best and simplest way of backing up the whole lot. :D

• 5 weeks later...

Can ExportNote convert notes from a specified date range in a notebook?  I can't seem to find any information on a feature like this.  Thanks.

On 6/5/2016 at 1:49 PM, Jerome S said:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
On 2016-06-05 at 10:49 AM, Jerome S said:

@Jerome S  I noticed ExportNote has an option to include dates and tags in the exported data.  

Can you provide details as to where this information will be stored.  For example, is it appended to the note text

Archived