(Archived) Evernote for Android 4.3 Beta 1

hgarg

Hi All,

I am very excited to introduce 4.3 Beta1 to you. The theme of 4.3 is to have more visible actions on every screen.

Main changes are -

1. Action Bar. On tablet, we are moving towards adapting Android's Action bar. So you will see a unified action bar across the panels (Home, Tags/Notebooks/Places & Notelist panel). You will notice that the Action bar changes its content to adapt the current focused panel.
  2. Note composer. We added action bar, simplified the toolbar by separating the text options, composer options & note property options, better audio recording feedback and some more minor changes. You will find note property specific actions like tag, notebook in more menu. Capture options are aggregated and moved to + button in action bar.
  3. New Landing screen, Login & Registration screens. This could be seen only if you logout.

Here are the links to download:

http://s.evernote.com/androidpreview

http://s.evernote.com/skitchpreview

Please give it a try and let us know your feedback. Again this is fresh out of oven and would get more icing over the time.

Thank you.

Hemant G

This build fixed the uppercase and lower case tag separation for me, so now they are all shown in one list. Thanks!

1. Appears to work well. I see how it changes to match the screen.

- Only issue that I notice right away is that I cannot create new tags, in the same way that notebooks would be created. When the tag panel is shown, there is no button. I would expect there to be an option to create a tag.

2. I like the options being on the top, I feel as though there is more note space. Though it does seem to me that it is a bit small. Probably because it is designed to fit a smaller screen, but it would be nice if it could expand on a tablet.

3. Nice and simple.Feels a little strange on a tablet (probably because of the empty space) but that is to be expected somewhat, so not an issue.

Interesting result after logging out, I saw the "I'm New" page which had a password already filled in, which was not my password (or even anyway near). So it was kinda strange to see the password field already filled in.

Screenshot of the password thing:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s26/sh/96ff2221-90f9-422d-b4f0-ef892d015a18/fc18d94cd931a2c8de10b3c3dae360c9

I do see some clipping on the top line of text by the header bar when viewing a note. It seems to only happen in notes created on the android client.

It would be nice on the editing bar to have a few more options beside Bold, Italics. etc... when editing on a tablet in landscape mode. There is a lot of extra space that just seems wasted.

Keep up the good work!!!

I use a special character at the start of tags so they are grouped together in the display lists when selecting tags. Also, I expected, when adding tags to a note, that this would also automatically show a group when I typed in that first special character. Alas, the 'type ahead' only seems to be triggered by the second characters, preventing my 'trick' from working.Can this be changed to start the 'type ahead' with the first character typed?

excellent.

Especially like the add note layout.

All of the editing options are always visible...SO much easier,

Addressing the above..on the Galaxy Note anyway...all characters ars visible on the tag list. Might be a screen size adjustability that needs to be looked to.

However, on location Maps....can't add text to the pin text field. Nothing happens when cli ked.

I'd rather have one-tap save than the two taps it takes now. That was a huge advantage over iOS, knowing that your work was saved. I never feel safe in the iOS app.

I also feel like there are missing formatting options. I liked the old view better.

Found something weird. Reproducible.

• Create a new note in Windows (4.5.9.7407) containing some text, a horizontal rule and some more text
  • Sync
  • On Android, try to edit that note. It says "This note contains some unsupported formatting" and two "insert text" fields.
  • Tap on one of the "insert text" fields and enter something. After that, tap on "done".
  • It says "Note not changed" and leaves the edit mode.

I don't think that this behaviour is intended ;-)

HTH

André

Are the smart stickers from the Molekine detected in Android?

I don't think so, not yet.

The indented lists buttons seem to be missing.

Have you pressed the list buttons, the intent buttons show once they are selected.

I'd rather have one-tap save than the two taps it takes now. That was a huge advantage over iOS, knowing that your work was saved. I never feel safe in the iOS app.

I also feel like there are missing formatting options. I liked the old view better.

Are you referring to the Star button, that used to save it? As it is now, you can also close the note with the tick button in the left as well as the menu - save option. In a way, am thinking the same. It was a visual confirmation that it was saved as well.

Which formatting options can't you find? They are grouped together more now, rather than all laid out on above the keyboard.

when editing a note In landscape mode, if i select a word, I can't apply bold, italic, etc

I see this too. The Android selected text bar overlays the formatting options when in landscape.

Found something weird. Reproducible.

• Create a new note in Windows (4.5.9.7407) containing some text, a horizontal rule and some more text
  • Sync
  • On Android, try to edit that note. It says "This note contains some unsupported formatting" and two "insert text" fields.
  • Tap on one of the "insert text" fields and enter something. After that, tap on "done".
  • It says "Note not changed" and leaves the edit mode.

I don't think that this behaviour is intended ;-)

HTH

André

I can reproduce this here. Select Done and the text disappears and "Note Not Changed" shows.

A small bug in this version - I usually have notes ordered by date updated (last updated at the top), but in the new layout used the "more" button to choose a different order (by title, I think). I then wanted to switch back to ordered by "last updated". But selecting this from the dropdown doesn't do anything. I had to go back into "more" and choose last updated there to correctly order. This is completely reproducible.

Cheers, Mark

Just downloaded beta. Given how complete and stable this app is I'm surprised that its still bad at some basic stuff.

After creating a new note, you are now placed in the title and the enter key gets you out. This is great!

Now saving a note is worse and bad for one handed phone use. The back button should save a note like all the other notes apps. Worst case make this an option to not mess up existing users.

Add an option to start in edit mode and an option to place cursor to start editing.

Add support for clicking on a phone number or link when in edit mode. Gnotes does the best job of this because it works the same in edit mode and when viewing. I always had a problem with the iPhone way because I would be trying to place the cursor and end up going to a link or calling a phone number.

Please add buttons for undo and redo

Thanks

• Level 5*
I hate this freaking program! How do you delete a damned note?!

What have you tried? I found it that was pretty easy to press my finger down over a note in the note list until a popup menu appears, and select "Delete"?

I hate this freaking program! How do you delete a damned note?!

What have you tried? I found it that was pretty easy to press my finger down over a note in the note list until a popup menu appears, and select "Delete"?

On some notes I get the "delete" in the popup and in others I don't. I have no idea why.

... start the 'type ahead' with the first character typed?

SIAP (always too ready to answer without checking if already answered, but...) why not use TWO special characters? (No, I haven't tried it, but prolly will now that you bring this up.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

The issue with deleting notes on an Android device is that it isn't obvious how to do it, and the help provided with Evernote doesn't explain it.  It would have NEVER EVER occurred to me to select and hold the note until a menu popped up!!

I realize that this is a failure of knowledge of the operating system, on my part, as I suspect that this is standard functionality, but I am obviously not the only one who missed this lesson when they got their Nexus for Christmas!  :-)

So, a suggestion to put this in the Help, and maybe x-ref people to their OS Getting Started Guide...?

• Level 5*

The issue with deleting notes on an Android device is that it isn't obvious how to do it, and the help provided with Evernote doesn't explain it.  It would have NEVER EVER occurred to me to select and hold the note until a menu popped up!!

I realize that this is a failure of knowledge of the operating system, on my part, as I suspect that this is standard functionality, but I am obviously not the only one who missed this lesson when they got their Nexus for Christmas!  :-)

So, a suggestion to put this in the Help, and maybe x-ref people to their OS Getting Started Guide...?

Another suggestion: this topic is about a year old, and the current Android version number is 5.4. So you might want to post in more recent/relevant topics for your suggestions.

OK, so yes, tap-and-hold may not be intuitively obvious, but it's common enough on Android. You're correct, it does help to know your OS. Even so, at this point, the delete operation is covered in the Create and Edit a Note section of the Guide for Evernote Android here: http://evernote.com/evernote/guide/android/. You can also view a note by tapping on it, and delete it from the popup menu.

Archived