(Archived) mass changing tags

Ganesha

Idea

Dear Developers,

it is possible to select a group of notes and add or remove tags for the entire group. That is a wounderful and powerfull feature but it is potentially dangerous:

The problem:

• I have tags organized like 'lawsuit-foo', 'lawsuit-bar', 'lawsuit-' and so on.
  • That tag schema is not perfect for me so I want to change it to 'lawsuit' and a second tag which marks the company/person related to that lawsuit. For example a group with 'lawsuit' and 'foo', another group with 'lawsuit' and 'bar'. The idea is to select all notes with tag 'lawsuit'
  • to change the tags I selected all notes with tag 'lawsuit-foo' and removed the tag.
  • without hesitation EN removed the tag and took the modified note out of the list. :-)
  • but what I wanted was to remove the tag 'lawsuit-foo' and add two new tags 'lawsuit' and 'foo' to the same group

Requested Solution:

• EN shall not change the group of selected notes if one does edit the tags for a whole group of notes
  • EN shall show a warning if one removes a tag from a larger group of notes.
  • as far as I know is there a similar feature for our windows collegues. I guess that they would be have the same warning window. :-)

Workaround for EN-Users

a small group of Notes can be selected via sort by modification time. A large group or heavy changes results in a loss of all changes:

• quit the EN application _very_ quick without syncronizing
  • remove the EN notes directories (the Evernote directory in ~/Library/Application Support and the cache folder ~/Library/Caches
  • start EN again and download the whole world

Kind Regards

1 reply to this idea

Dear Developers,

it is possible to select a group of notes and add or remove tags for the entire group. That is a wounderful and powerfull feature but it is potentially dangerous:

The problem:

• I have tags organized like 'lawsuit-foo', 'lawsuit-bar', 'lawsuit-' and so on.
  • That tag schema is not perfect for me so I want to change it to 'lawsuit' and a second tag which marks the company/person related to that lawsuit. For example a group with 'lawsuit' and 'foo', another group with 'lawsuit' and 'bar'. The idea is to select all notes with tag 'lawsuit'
  • to change the tags I selected all notes with tag 'lawsuit-foo' and removed the tag.
  • without hesitation EN removed the tag and took the modified note out of the list. :-)
  • but what I wanted was to remove the tag 'lawsuit-foo' and add two new tags 'lawsuit' and 'foo' to the same group

Requested Solution:

• EN shall not change the group of selected notes if one does edit the tags for a whole group of notes
  • EN shall show a warning if one removes a tag from a larger group of notes.
  • as far as I know is there a similar feature for our windows collegues. I guess that they would be have the same warning window. :-)

Workaround for EN-Users

a small group of Notes can be selected via sort by modification time. A large group or heavy changes results in a loss of all changes:

• quit the EN application _very_ quick without syncronizing
  • remove the EN notes directories (the Evernote directory in ~/Library/Application Support and the cache folder ~/Library/Caches
  • start EN again and download the whole world

Kind Regards

Thanks for posting. One work around is to add the additional tags before removing the original tag.

The reason we're removing notes from your view, is because we're not changing your selection in the left panel. You've presumably selected the tag lawsuit-foo and since you removed the tag, we've removed all the notes from that tag. I understand your workflow, but it would be inconsistent for us to change your selection in the left panel. I'll think about this further though

thanks again!

Archived