Moleskine Smart Stickers

Great thing with the new smart stickers! I tried to make a color print and putted it on a "normal" page of paper - semms, it doesn't work.

Observes EN a second criteria (dotted Moleskine lines, bright contrast, kind of Moleskine paper and so on)?

• Level 5*

Ah, OK, what idea.... I have only seen that you can pay 30$ for a moleskine book... and the integration is only with Apple devices.. so I am not really happy with this developmet so far as I know...

Moleskine books have always been a little pricier than others (you get what you pay for--this is one high quality notebook), and it is often the case that Evernote (and other companies) roll products out on different platforms at different times, depending on all sorts of factors.

They are obviously committed to Android, and sometimes even release products there first, so I think what this announcement means is that Evernote will now be even easier and more enjoyable to integrate into your life. Sounds cool to me, even if it isn't on my Nexus just yet :)

The patented Moleskine integration requires the specific stickers and the Evernote Moleskine to work. Photocopies or other types of paper will not work.

However, you can still use the new Page Mode of the iPhone/iPad to optimize snapshots you take of pieces of paper into your Evernote account.

Additionally, while we do not publish our roadmap, we are very committed to the Android platform and I myself am heartily anticipating the ability to use my shiny new Moleskine notebook with my *own* Nexus :)

Thank you for answers! Okay, it is not so a big thing to put my notes manual in the notebooks. Mostly I write on my iPad - and stickers are not good on the iPad surface :-)

The price for the Moleskine notebook includes 3 monthes premium membership - but I've already a premium account ... would be nice to get a cheaper version without the premium thing ...

If I already have a premium account, presumably the licensing will just add 3 months to it. It will still cost significantly more, yet I would definitely try it at least once.

I too await the Android version.

Meanwhile, I am trying suggested workaround with IFTTT.com and Instagram.

What is the benefit of the dotted lined paper in the special notebooks, as opposed to say any notebook paper?

I don't see why I can't just take a picture of a regular notebook and have the same result (apart from the smart tags that is). Do the dots somehow help the page camera to do a better job? Ultimately it all ends up as an image file though.

The page camera mode will work on regular paper.

The Smart Tags/Stickers only work with the Moleskine paper.

The Moleskine paper has been specially designed to work in conjunction with Evernote's Page Camera to enhance the recognition of your handwriting. This feature works with or without Smart Stickers.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi there,

First time here, so apologies if this has already been asked somewhere else and I've missed it.

I just received my Moleskine Smart Notebook. I think they're a great idea and I love the idea of the smart stickers.The design on the front cover is great and the quality is just what you'd expected from Moleskine. Got a couple of questions

Firstly, I was wondering if it's going to be possible to buy extra packs of Smart Stickers?

I normal have a couple of projects on the go at the same time and when I'm jotting down ideas I use a page per idea. I love the idea of being able to indicate which project a page belongs to by using a smart sticker and having it automatically tagged in Evernote. It means I only have to carry one notebook. Problem is I'm rapidly going to run out of stickers if I'm using them at the rate of 1 per page. Can I buy more?

Secondly, are their any plans to make more designs/types of smart stickers available?

Thanks,

Jamie

• 3 weeks later...

The smart stickers work perfectly on the Moleskine squared smart notepad, but I'm using up lots of stickers. I'm loving that Staedtler fineliner pens are the exact colour of the stickers and I can use a great colour coding regime in my notes and it is correctly tagged by the iPhone app.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

After looking at the downloadable paper and the images of the stickers online I started playing around with Evernote this morning. I downloaded the pdf paper and printed a few pages up. I looked closely at the images of the stickers available online and noted that they are a little less than two squares by two squares in area. There are six colors of stickers and each sticker has an icon in the center. Immediately I suspected the icon in the center is not important. If the icon were important the Molskine company would have merely printed the six icons in black on a white background and saved themselves the cost of the colored ink. The Evernote program is really looking for a square of color a little less than two squares by two squares in area. So I wrote a note on the paper I printed and pulled out my colored pencils. I colored in the squares with my colored pencils in the six colors of the stickers. I managed to hit two right off the bat and my note was tagged with the tags for travel and work. I need to experiment a little more with colored pencils and felt tip pens, but I suspect I'll be able to get the color right for all six tags soon enough.

• 3 weeks later...

It would be really helpful if someone from Evernote answered 2 key questions in this thread:

- What are the pink arrows for? Do they offer any functionality beyond what a highlighter pen can do?

- When will sticker packs be available for purchase on their own? They're already in production so is it really that hard? Or is it a tenuous way to keep people buying the notebooks? If it's the latter, consider me out of this game.

An answer after all this time really would be nice.

Many thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

just wondering - is it possible to purchase additional smart stickers for the moleskine evernote notebook? I use it obsessively, but cannot seem to find a resource that would be able to provide me with the answer to my question (moleskine doesn't seem to offer it - but I thought possibly through you guys?)

You can purchase more from us, actually. I think at some point there will be a more obvious fulfillment process, but for now submit a ticket to the support page in my signature and we'll get it taken care of for you.

UPDATE: strike that, I was misinformed. We're fulfilling orders for people whose Moleskines arrived without any stickers inside them. You are correct, at present there's no way to get extra stickers beyond buying another notebook. This is obviously not suitable, and we're working on a way of getting stock so that we can provide extra sheets for those who want them.

If you've received a Moleskine without stickers, please contact support.

I would also like to know when extra sticker packs will be available and whether additional designs would be available. Elsewhere I've seen suggestions that Evernote partner with one of the major computer-printable label companies (e.g. Avery), which I think is an excellent idea.

As for the arrow stickers, unless I missed something, these have not programmatic features. They are merely "skitch" arrows for highlighting important items. I believe that "skitch" just refers to the style of the arrows used for this purpose in the Skitch smartphone/tablet app.

In the blog post where Evernote announced the new notebook, they write: "In addition to the Smart Stickers, we also included some handy Skitch arrows. Use those to draw attention to important things on the page."

http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2012/08/24/the-new-evernote-smart-notebook-by-moleskine/

• 2 weeks later...

- What are the pink arrows for? Do they offer any functionality beyond what a highlighter pen can do?

- When will sticker packs be available for purchase on their own? They're already in production so is it really that hard? Or is it a tenuous way to keep people buying the notebooks? If it's the latter, consider me out of this game.

As Paul mentioned just above, the Skitch stickers aren't "smart stickers" in the same vein as the other stickers included in the pack. They're mainly aesthetic, sort of a cross promotion for our other product Skitch, and of course since they are arrows they're useful for pointing stuff out.

Moleskine sticker packs are available through Moleskine--Evernote is not the distributor nor producer, so all fulfillment has to run through Moleskine. We're aware that they are not listed as a separate product right now on the Moleskine website, and have an ask into them to see if it's possible to productize the sticker.

• 4 weeks later...

I just received a Moleskine Smart Notebook as a gift, and after having a few issues starting to use it, I am relatively pleased with using it on my iPhone 4. If other users are having trouble, I recommend this article:  http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/30106-smart-notebook-by-moleskine-problems/#entry164150

One major suggestion I have for the Evernote/Moleskine team is to add additional smart stickers to the notebook, or make additional categories for sale at a reasonable rate to evernote users.

The current categories of Home, Approved, Action, Travel, Rejected, and Work are simply too vague to be that helpful. I suggest after-market stickers of 20 or so categories, such as "School", "Personal", "Diary", "Grocery", "Creative", "Blog", etc. I also suggest a customize-able sticker, which can be programmed in the evernote app or web to be anything you want, for instance a person sticker that can be programmed to "Andy."

The entire point of the sticker system is to make on-the-go categorization easy. The current system lacks efficiency, and I end up making my own tags anyway. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5

In case this helps you, David, I've reassigned my stickers to other notebooks - and stuck 1 of each on the inside at the back with the name of the notebook it goes to.

I would like more stickers - though I've not run out yet. And a more diverse set. In fact I'd like to be able to make my own to my own design and have Evernote learn how to recognise them.

I'm enjoying using my Moleskine - though mainly to rough out pictures before I create them for real. e.g. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BGs1D-OCEAAaCEp.jpg

I would also think this is a smart modification of the original concept. More stickers, and even better how about stickers we can print up on our own? That way if you use a bunch of one kind, you can make more. 

• 3 weeks later...

I don't use the smart stickers and find the page camera pretty useless. the pages are often too bright ant the pictures are too small in size compared to a regular snapshot. Plus, many times the camera doesn't recognize the page size correctly, so you have to check every single snapshot each time before taking the next one and syncing to Evernote.

Maybe the main reason for page camera was to save enormous amounts of storage space? ;)

• 1 month later...

I would also think this is a smart modification of the original concept. More stickers, and even better how about stickers we can print up on our own? That way if you use a bunch of one kind, you can make more. 

That would be nice, but they won't. They won't be able to help themselves from monetizing the system - but that's ok. As long as they aren't to costly to regularly purchase, I at least won't mind. If they produced more, and maybe had some bundles.. A design bundle, engineer/math, home, sports, cooking, etc.. of course, too many could be confusing and costly for evernote/molskine to produce, but a healthy selection of bundles that had specific corresponding stickers would be awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there. Is there any more word on the smart stickers yet? I love the notebook and stickers and would happily buy more as opposed to trying to make them but don't know what else to do  if they're not available.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

So, I guess that's a no? I can't find any sticker refills, and I've been searching for an answer to this. I won't be purchasing more notebooks just for more stickers. I realize moleskine handles fulfillment in delivering the stickers, but this is in the sphere of the Evernote brand and is for the Evernote product; so I'm hoping you guys can answer this.

Thanks!

Unfortunately we've been unable to work out anything that would make the stickers available as a standalone item.

I know you mentioned that you're not looking to buy more notebooks for more stickers (which is completely understandable) but it's worth noting there are now significantly less costly notebook options available from the Market--namely the Pocket Journals: https://www.evernote.com/market/feature/moleskine-journal?sku=NOTE00202

For those interested in picking up extra stickers (and heck, an extra month of Premium) this could be a workable option.

(reposting here as well)

Unfortunately we've been unable to work out anything that would make the stickers available as a standalone item.

It's worth noting there are now significantly less costly notebook options available from the Market--namely the Pocket Journals: https://www.evernote.com/market/feature/moleskine-journal?sku=NOTE00202

For those interested in picking up extra stickers (and heck, an extra month of Premium) this could be a workable option.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't like the idea of stickers... 

i think another way could be to use a defined zone on the page where we can apply an handwrite Sign will be recognized   : +,*,=,&,Δ,≈, #,......

Ah, OK, what idea.... I have only seen that you can pay 30$ for a moleskine book... and the integration is only with Apple devices.. so I am not really happy with this developmet so far as I know...

Moleskine books have always been a little pricier than others (you get what you pay for--this is one high quality notebook), and it is often the case that Evernote (and other companies) roll products out on different platforms at different times, depending on all sorts of factors.

They are obviously committed to Android, and sometimes even release products there first, so I think what this announcement means is that Evernote will now be even easier and more enjoyable to integrate into your life. Sounds cool to me, even if it isn't on my Nexus just yet :)

I agree with pricer..

I don't agree with "high quality"... when i write on a page, the paper is so bad quality (so fin) that i can see ink from the other side...

I was very disappointed... So i write only one side... witch make two times more expansive...

Reverside side : http://goo.gl/5iFF4U

Transparency (see what's write on the other page...) : http://goo.gl/OrVrj3

(don't try to read... it's about a talk on quantum physics !)

Reverse%20Side.png

The other page by transparency 

Reverse%20Side%20+%20Transparency.png

• 2 months later...

Can't believe this hasn't been taken care of yet...come on, Evernote!

Evernote should allow current Moleskine owners to order more stickers by using the Premium code in the back of the journal. The concern is that anyone could order the stickers, but this allows real users to reorder. 

Also, the handwritten sign in a designated area is a good idea.

• 3 months later...

fwiw I think the Moleskine books are of decent quality but too expensive. I bought a notebook when it included three months of membership, which makes it "free". I don't use the stickers so if anyone wants an almost complete set, let me know.

Can't believe this hasn't been taken care of yet...come on, Evernote!

Evernote should allow current Moleskine owners to order more stickers by using the Premium code in the back of the journal. The concern is that anyone could order the stickers, but this allows real users to reorder. 

Also, the handwritten sign in a designated area is a good idea.

The difficulty is that, as gbarry (Evernote staff member) has mentioned, these notebooks are made by, and distributed by Moleskine. As such, it is not something that Evernote has direct control over, thus the ball is largely in Moleskine's court. If they who control production do not want or are not able to make stickers available separately, then Evernote's hands are tied (barring some major intervention which I doubt is in the cards). 

Moleskine: yes, they're pricey. For some strange reason, they don't seem want to be in the sticker business.

Free premium: If you already have premium, you can enter the code and get points instead. Then you can extend your subscription, or get an extra GB of uploads some month.

Stickers: I put one of each type onto its own 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch piece of white paper. So now I have little movable smart stickers. I place the ones I want to use on the page before I take a picture with my ipad. Afterwards, I just pick them up and move them to the next page. No more sticker drought.

Extra Large Journals: Itty-bitty binder clips work wonders for holding the pages flat enough to photograph well.

• 6 months later...

... I downloaded the pdf paper and printed a few pages up.

Curious, where would that pdf download be?

I should have researched before I posted... It looks like the download xochilati mentioned is from Moleskine website. They have templates you can download.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I just received a Moleskine Smart Notebook as a gift, and after having a few issues starting to use it, I am relatively pleased with using it on my iPhone 4. If other users are having trouble, I recommend this article:  http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/30106-smart-notebook-by-moleskine-problems/#entry164150

One major suggestion I have for the Evernote/Moleskine team is to add additional smart stickers to the notebook, or make additional categories for sale at a reasonable rate to evernote users.

The current categories of Home, Approved, Action, Travel, Rejected, and Work are simply too vague to be that helpful. I suggest after-market stickers of 20 or so categories, such as "School", "Personal", "Diary", "Grocery", "Creative", "Blog", etc. I also suggest a customize-able sticker, which can be programmed in the evernote app or web to be anything you want, for instance a person sticker that can be programmed to "Andy."

The entire point of the sticker system is to make on-the-go categorization easy. The current system lacks efficiency, and I end up making my own tags anyway. 

You can customize the stickers in the menu.

• 1 year later...

Hello folks! I was archiving my Moleskine Evernote Notebook last night by using the iOS app and document setting to use the camera to capture my notebook pages.

[iPhone 6S Plus, iOS 10, on Wifi at home] Yes everything is up to date.

I didn't use any flash, and it was certainly a contrasting background - yet only some (less than 50%) of the notes (all with the same smart sticker) were properly tagged and 'note-booked'. I want to know if the stickers only work once the note has uploaded to the server? Is this an OCR function that is in the cloud, or is the sticker recognition built into the iOS application?

I am curious if I was not patient enough (less that 5 minutes) before I manually put the note into the proper notebook and applied the correct tag(s). I would like to highlight that some of the notes did go automatically into the correct notebook with the correct tag; this is why I am wondering if there is a delay in the recognition of smart stickers.

On 07/12/2016 at 6:57 PM, macneilpi said:

Hello folks! I was archiving my Moleskine Evernote Notebook last night by using the iOS app and document setting to use the camera to capture my notebook pages.

[iPhone 6S Plus, iOS 10, on Wifi at home] Yes everything is up to date.

I didn't use any flash, and it was certainly a contrasting background - yet only some (less than 50%) of the notes (all with the same smart sticker) were properly tagged and 'note-booked'. I want to know if the stickers only work once the note has uploaded to the server? Is this an OCR function that is in the cloud, or is the sticker recognition built into the iOS application?

I am curious if I was not patient enough (less that 5 minutes) before I manually put the note into the proper notebook and applied the correct tag(s). I would like to highlight that some of the notes did go automatically into the correct notebook with the correct tag; this is why I am wondering if there is a delay in the recognition of smart stickers.

When you take the photos, the stickers should tag, and as you save the picture, the note should be tagged. I have found that often it does not work great.

Archived