(Archived) UI Suggestions

I am a new EverNote user, and I love it. I would like to make a couple of suggestions off the bat:

1. A Close button would be nice, or a Save button that is grayed out when there are no changes to save. I hate using the X in the corner and trusting that the changes I just made will be saved. I suppose I will get used to it, but the interface would be more comfortable with one of these.

2. EverNote should have an option to sync on startup. As it stands, I can open it, create a new item, close it and the new item is saved, but when I open it elsewhere, I have to remember to hit Sync, or I wind up creating conflicting changes in my notes. Or perhaps this is an intentional omission to encourage people to upgrade? If so, I can live with that.

• 1 month later...

My Windows Evernote has, since I can remember, for a couple of years, done a Sync at startup. So, why is this a suggestion, if it already was working?

Any nobody mentioned the Sync on exit option to the OP. Go to Options, and set Sync on Exit option under sync tab. To shut down, use the file dropdown on the top left of the window, and select exit. This will cause a sync if anything has been updated (or at least it does on mine).

So, what about Sync? It EN Windows supposed to sync on startup, first time from system startup? It used to work! Why was he not told? Am I missing something?

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the option to sync on exit, it is just sync on start that is lacking. There is no configuration option for it.

You say "from system startup". That means you have Evernote launching at startup and always running. So it is possible that yours is just syncing in the background from the "sync every X seconds/minutes" option. Mine does that, but I do not have it always running, and when I do start it, it does not immediately sync.

Or if you have the paid version, perhaps this is a paid version only feature.

I am a paid user, and I only use the Windows version (4.5.10 at this time), and I was sure that sync is done when I start Evernote Windows prior to this release. I do did/do not have Evernote start up automatically. I mentioned "from system startup" meaning "first time I start Evernote after I bring up my PC". The two terms should mean the same, actually.

I am now seeing that when I bring my PC up, then Evernote Windows up for the first time since system startup, Evernote now does a sync within say 2 minutes. I'm thinking that they put in a delay to let EN get started, and let the PC finish startup, before the sync happens, since it slows the PC - but my ticket has not been able to get them to verify such. If I exit EN, I think the 15 minute sync still happens even though EN is down, so even if I bring it back up, that interval is still in effect, but since my sync on exit is in effect, that should be ok.

Are you on the Windows platform? What level?

Actually, I just got this latest reply to my support ticket - note the "anymore"...

Looks like we have a "Mac" type change, but not really - I think I can live with this one, though I do wonder if it introduces an big integrity exposure for a lot of people, as you mention. They did not respond to my previous claim that this is a new integrity exposure. Maybe downs and ups were putting too big a load on the servers, since sync on exit is done, so why sync on startup, right? Who knows?

It would seem that sync on startup should be done if more than 15 minutes (or optional setting) has passed since last sync, right??

"The option to sync immediately/automatically on startup does not exist anymore. I am not sure what the reason behind this was, if it was an oversight or if it was an intentional change. I will forward this on to the engineering team and make them aware that it is no longer and option and that there have been requests to add it back. I apologize for the trouble. Let me know if you have any questions."

I was wrong about Evernote Windows doing a sync within about 2 minutes after first startup each time.

Tonight it took 12 minutes before a sync happened. Seems to happen at random. I have insisted it is a bug, and it involves data integrity.

Anybody interested in getting it fixed, and putting sync on startup back in, post here, and open a ticket saying it is a problem you are seeing. Thanks!

In my experience, the only sync is the 'every X minutes' sync. That timer may be random at startup, or it may simply start from when you started your system. I have now formed a habit of hitting sync each time I bring up Evernote just to make sure I don't cause conflicts with the notes. I'm getting better at dealing with the conflicts, but I have lost data before by mishandling conflicting changes due to thinking Evernote was synchronizing at startup.

In the last paragraph I posted in bold previously, support ticket answerer agreed that there WAS a sync on startup, but it is now gone. I'm sure my 4.5.9 and lower was sync'ing on startup, since I had to wait for it each time, or at least I felt I should wait, and did.

It seems that this option was unexpectedly removed...

Here is the ticket reply again...

"The option to sync immediately/automatically on startup does not exist anymore. I am not sure what the reason behind this was, if it was an oversight or if it was an intentional change. I will forward this on to the engineering team and make them aware that it is no longer and option and that there have been requests to add it back. I apologize for the trouble. Let me know if you have any questions."

So, are you all wanting sync on startup back, and does it seem a hazard to not have sync on startup?

I see that an experienced user wants to do it manually, but what about new users, or others that depended on it?

Sorry, I got lost in some confusing talk about integrity exposure and "Mac" type change, and apparently overlooked the bold part.

I am quickly getting used to hitting sync as I launch, but since it is a given that the first time I use the app on a given machine in a day or after a long break that I will have to hit sync, the times when I forget to do that and create conflicts more than warrant adding back the automation of this action.

Archived