Feedback and Feature Suggestions

Sugeeth Krish

Idea

• Evernote Expert

Hi, I have been using evernote for quite a while and am mighty impressed with this software, that i have gone premium and enjoying the extended services for over a month. Evernote has helped me organize my thoughts together and put them all in one place.

I however, wish one feature was implemented. When users go through their posts in the desktop application, they can individually choose the mouse to highlight the text based on what ever colour they wish. I think using the mouse consumes lot of time : Most of the highlighted text would be normally chosen and highlighted in a default colour.

1. Users should choose the mouse to pick a default colour.
  2. As users read through their posts, once they select the text using the mouse, should be able to use keyboard shortcut to highlight the text in non mouse hand. ( e.g (ctrl+B) for bold can be done in one hand itself and not (ctrl +alt + h), which uses both hands like in evernote clearly).

I wish to know if such a feature exists already, or if not, please forward to developers to consider developing this feature in subsequent versions.

• Like 3

73 replies to this idea

I would like a feature that tells me I've already created a note. For example, when I run across an article and clip it to Evernote, why can't it do a quick search and let me know if I've already done so? Right now I have to take the step of searching my notes to see if it's already there.

In line with this, I would like a feature which finds duplicate notes so I can join or remove them. It doesn't have to do it for me, just point them out so I can get rid of any double entries.

Thanks.

• Like 2

I've used Evernote for a long time now, and it's a basic tool for me. Thanks. But please make the Evernote database searchable from Spotlight in Mac OS X.

It's frustrating to search in Spotlight (which is very good now, and my first port of call when hunting for material that I know is 'somewhere') and then to have to do a second search in Evernote.

Best wishes

/mike

• Like 1

Please, can Evernote have better text layout tools? It's great that I can clip all sorts of material into Endnote, and search it all. But I'm a designer, and when I want to export material from notes, it looks just horrible!

Please give us user-defined styles, as in any good word processing app.

I know html (your basic format?) isn't great on typography. But surely you can create some style tools so that we can make our notes look better? Just five or six user-deflined text styles, easily applied with keyboard shortcuts, would make a big difference.

Best wishes. Thanks.

• Like 2

Currently using version 5 client on Windows.

I want COLOR!

■ The ability to color-code notes and notebooks.

■ The ability to choose highlight colors.

■ The abilty to choose the background color of text.

■ The ability to choose a client color scheme other than Mundane Bluegrey

Not just a limited palette of pre-defined colors, but the ability to specify RGB or hex color values.

Seriously, some of the most primitive Windows applications from the 1980s provided colors customizations. Why can't the Evernote desktop client?

Cheers & thanks,

Riley

SFO

• Like 2

Please can I ask Evernote developers (and any other UI developers out there) not to make the scroll bar tracks invisible when the cursor is not over them?  If I want to get to the top of the list of notebooks quickly, to see my shortcuts I cannot just click on the top of the scroll bar track because I cannot see where it ends.  I have to put the cursor over the track low enough down to make it visible and then go up to the top before I click.  There has been a trend in recent years to make scroll bars disappear to one degree or another when they are not in use but it does make using the applications less efficient.  Thanks

• Like 1

I would like to suggest a notebooks and notes manual sorting features in Evernote for Windows. I feel annoy with the order of my notes and notebooks for the fact that i can't manual arrange them. I meant those should be arranged in some way like folders in windows (sort by name, by date, by size,...) or can be manually arranged by owner with arrow button on toolbar or even drag and drop gesture.

Hope the next version.

Regards

• Like 3
  • Level 5*

I am not sure how valuable the manual sorting would be when you have a large number of notes (I have 10,267 as of right now). As soon as you decide to sort on created date, etc, you would lose the manual sort. What happens if you do a filter (by tag, or word)? I am quite happy with the ability to search by tags and words, although I would be even happier if the BitQwik functionality were to be restored.

There are other things I would like before manual sorting - improvements in tag handling, ability to hide unused tags for the notebook/search results I am looking at. That would give me the ability to find the notes I am interested in very quickly.

Notebooks can be "sorted" by creating a shortcut - you can manually sort the shortcuts.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

The manual sort feature gets suggested occasionally, and there is existing discussion in the forums. Not much input from Evernote on the topic if I recall. I can see its usefulness for some scenarios, not sure that I miss it myself. I can see some potential messiness with specified sort order across multiple notebooks (basically you'd need to pitch it, I think), but none of that is up to me.

@Factman: there's no sorting in a shortcut as far as I know, just filtering. You need to set sorting yourself.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

@Factman: there's no sorting in a shortcut as far as I know, just filtering. You need to set sorting yourself.

That's the reason for the quote marks – it's a work-around, not a real way of sorting.

• Like 1

As a premium user, I would like to suggest for two major features to be improved as they are preventing our organisation from adopting Evernote as a full replacement for task management and mind-dump software such as Omnioutliner:

1. Tables - Current implementation is much too limited. To be really useful, more flexibility around formatting and cell properties is required. It is disappointing to have to still use Word or Google docs to be able to achieve what is required...
  2. Bullet points or lists - many of our users generate lists, create presentations or documents outlines within Evernote. Having to cut and paste bullet points to re-arrange an outline is very 1990s. It would be great to be able to drag and drop them.

Cheers,

Freddie

• Like 1
  1. Bullet points or lists - many of our users generate lists, create presentations or documents outlines within Evernote. Having to cut and paste bullet points to re-arrange an outline is very 1990s. It would be great to be able to drag and drop them.

I second this, but I'd also be happy even with just a simpler feature: to not require an extra line space between a bulleted list and the text that precedes it.  Why not be able to adjust the spacing that occurs before the bulleted list?  Why must a bulleted list have that extra line space preceding it?  Thx.

to not require an extra line space between a bulleted list and the text that precedes it.  Why not be able to adjust the spacing that occurs before the bulleted list?  Why must a bulleted list have that extra line space preceding it?  Thx.

This is very much the natural behaviour of browser rendering engines since forever. Nothing specific to Evernote, all HTML bullet lists have always done this. Just as annoying as ever. Can be overriden with particular css style.

Save the following as a .htm file and double-click it to see.

Here is some text

<ul>

<li> Item

<li> Item 2

</ul>

More text

Hi 

Find Within Note feature:

Can we improve this feature to make it work smooth as TextEdit software on MAC.

Currently I am not able to search all types of keywords in it, Its not perfect in terms of both UI and functionality as compare to other features, So It would really be glad for me if u improve it . 

I wish, the handling of Ctrl + K for creating a link over tex was implemented correctly... Right now, the feature "create link" is hidden and can just be reached with two clicks. Since I use this feature A LOT, I'm losing quite some time with this...

EDIT: I'm talking about webinterface and Google Chrome here. Reading through different topics here I get the impression that it used to be possible before!

I don't know about this new design of web app. It's much worse for me. 

I didn't use evernote too much and I started to learn the design and get familiar with button and where what is. You can't just do swap like this too often to your users I'm pritty sure it's bad for softwere development.

Anyways why are there aboslutely no text in this new version are you trying to be cool with it or something? Coz it's just a mess to know what exacly a star lookin thingy does etc. not knowing how do do what I want without playing what that picture is.

Unless you're trying to get more premium users and thats where the old design is available I'm completly blown away by how stupid that change was.

The manual sort feature gets suggested occasionally, and there is existing discussion in the forums. Not much input from Evernote on the topic if I recall. I can see its usefulness for some scenarios, not sure that I miss it myself. I can see some potential messiness with specified sort order across multiple notebooks (basically you'd need to pitch it, I think), but none of that is up to me.@Factman: there's no sorting in a shortcut as far as I know, just filtering. You need to set sorting yourself.

Manual can still be logical. This is number 3 for me behide alphabetizing note lists within a noteboot and getting rid of those iratating hints that are always getting in the way.

• Level 5*

The manual sort feature gets suggested occasionally, and there is existing discussion in the forums. Not much input from Evernote on the topic if I recall. I can see its usefulness for some scenarios, not sure that I miss it myself. I can see some potential messiness with specified sort order across multiple notebooks (basically you'd need to pitch it, I think), but none of that is up to me.@Factman: there's no sorting in a shortcut as far as I know, just filtering. You need to set sorting yourself.

Manual can still be logical. This is number 3 for me behide alphabetizing note lists within a noteboot and getting rid of those iratating hints that are always getting in the way.

About the only answer that exists in Evernote right now is to use Reminders, which can be sorted manually.

I use Evernote for personal notes and as such I ABSOLUTELY don't want to share them. The continual nagging on the site to share stuff is really irritating. It wastes both screen real estate and my attention. It has me looking for alternative applications. After I have closed a "share nag" for the 100's time your application should get the message!

• Like 1

I use Evernote for personal notes and as such I ABSOLUTELY don't want to share them. The continual nagging on the site to share stuff is really irritating. It wastes both screen real estate and my attention. It has me looking for alternative applications. After I have closed a "share nag" for the 100's time your application should get the message!

I cannot agree more. I am Premium user (for both personal and business uses) and would like to use the tool I signed up for and it is NOT a collaboration tool, but note taking and archiving app - pls add a feature which turns off Work Chat and any related stuff.

Like e.g. Share function which directly uses work chat without even clearly stating this... - I sometimes want to share something by email, but by email only, share with non-Evernote users without harassing them to sign up for Evernote (if I want to do this I can recommend EN in normal conversation which I actually used to do... ). A couple of times I sent (by mistake) something by workchat to non-Evernote users instead of e-mail and it was very frustrating, both for me and the messages' recipients.

And by turning off work chat and related stuff I mean making it disappear completely except for small checkbox (hidden somewhere deep in menus) turning it back on should I ever change my mind...

You have great app and potentially business model - do not mess it up please...

Also, it would be great if there was and option to lock notebook/stack tree (not notes themselves) on the left side of the Windows App so they cannot be moved or deleted (unless the tree is deliberately unlocked) - sometimes I move notebooks by accident while trying to use scroll down/up and it is frustrating to discover your whole notebook was moved by misclick; and when I am reading a note and later click Delete to remove it I sometimes discover I actually wasn't highlighting the note on the right side, but rather some notebook on the left side, which was just deleted.

I would love to be able to edit jpgs of documents in a similar way to a mobile app like CamScanner to format them making easier to read. I regularly get emailed photos of paper documents by people who don't use mobile scanner apps and, short of sending them to my phone and editing there before sending to Evernote, there is no easy way to do this. 

Given Evernote is marketed as such a useful tool for people wishing to go 'paper-light', this would seem like an obvious feature to me...

Hello El Gropo,

Evernote has a couple of features that may help your use case.  First each account has an email address such that when you send email to that address, the email ends up as a note in your default notebook.  To find this email address, login to your web client and go to Account > Settings and scroll  down to the "Email Notes to" section.  A handy tip is to copy this email address as a contact in your address book with the name "Evernote" so that anytime you want to forward something to your account, you just forward to "Evernote".

https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/23480523

Secondly for editing the document, there are a couple of options.  If you use Gmail, the Evernote Web Clipper will clip emails directly from Gmail.  One option of the Web Clipper is to clip as a screen shot with annotations, so you could clip the email and annotate as needed.

https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/23211961

The other option is that all of our clients (except the Web client for now) have annotation capabilities as well.  If you use either the email option or the Web clipper option to get the email into your Evernote account, once there, you can annotate the jpg to crop, rotate, highlight, add pointers etc to make your attachment more readable for yourself.

https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/28944986

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply, but it's not annotations (which I have been using since skitch was first available) that I'm after. Apps like CamScanner allow photos of plain text documents (mostly invoices etc for me) to be photographed and edited easily into simple black and white pdfs, optimised for reading. The app automatically recognises the corners of a page due to the contrast with the background, so you end up with a perfect scan of the page.

Annotations, while useful, are really geared more for collaborating. When, like myself and millions of others, you use Evernote mostly as a 'digital filing cabinet', these tools are not enough.

• Like 1

Hello El Gropo,

You could recommend your colleagues use Scannable (Free on iOS) or the document camera on Evernote for Android to capture the invoices before sending to you.  Both of these do the image deskew, cropping and contrast that you seek.  If you're looking for image processing software for the desktop, it may be that your use case is somewhat rare.  Doing a google search for desktop software that deskews brings back software toolkits but not packaged software.  I believe this may be because usually the clean up steps you want are done at the source.  Even with our own Scansnap Evernote Edition, its the firmware of the scanner that does the image cleanup, not Evernote itself.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply mcheng. My issue is that not everyone who sends me photos of paper documents is technically savvy and asking them to download an app and deskew etc is a bit much. You have pointed out that desktop software that does the job I am looking for is not readily available, perhaps this is an opportunity? I realise that the staff at Evernote and most of those on this forum will be able to use smartphone apps to do the required jobs, but that is, perhaps, not representative of the Evernote using population as a whole, many of whom will have been introduced to it through work. 

I have used Evernote for over three years now, and have not yet had a need for Premium features. If Evernote continues to pester me with annoying prompts to upgrade, I will drop Evernote altogether. It's SUPER annoying. Stop it. If you want to try and get me to upgrade, decrease the features provided with free, and assuming that there isn't a better alternative out there, I may consider it. But STOP sending me stupid notifications to upgrade, or I WILL drop your product.

so this is 2nd time that very annoying problem happens to me:

I edit note on my mac (shopping list) and leave to shopping. When I get to market I realize changes haven't been synced yet and that I have shopping list from couple years ago ?!

you suck big time. I'm in IT myself and just don't get it how trivial feature like this has problems? it should work every time. If note hasn't been synced in 5 seconds since last change red letters should appear saying you have problems syncing.

I'm dropping my usage of Evernote right now. It's much easier to send myself email for checklists like this. And for more advanced features I just don't want to use them if you can't implement that basic ones work w/o problems

• A "UK British/Australian" English application language (not spelling dictionary, that already exists) would be really nice. Colour is better than color :D
  •  The ability to colour-code notes and notebooks

• The ability to choose highlight colours

• The ability to easily backup all notes locally

On 2/23/2016 at 9:07 AM, zonetrooperex said:

The ability to choose highlight colours

+1 for the ability to choose highlight colour. The current faint yellow does not stand out, and can hardly be called a "highlight"!

As an active web user I find Evernote to be the most time-consuming, frustrating, unreliable POS I have ever dealt with.  If it actually worked reliably Webclipper would be the main stay app for my research on the web.  It doesn't however.  And every time it fails, I spend mountains of time-- with NO real support-- trying to figure things that the designers should have figured out before they put the app up.  I'm done with this sucker.

Richard

Small useful suggestion for the iPad version.  You now have thw + sign that leads to many options if held.  Why not extend this to the Notes icon.  Could be 'go to the curent notebook or All Notes or Today or maybe show a list of recent notebooks right there.  I find navigating between notebooks a little combersome.  It takes many clicks.

Please add a feature that will let the user change the background color of the note in the settings/tools menu. I for one (and potentially many others) would like to have an off-white note background color, especially when browsing through my notes at night or in the evening because the current bright white backgrounds can cause considerable eye-strain. Thank you for listening!

• Level 5*
On 10/31/2017 at 4:44 AM, laithejeilat said:

Improvement suggestion:

When I create a home screen widget on Android, and choose for it to display reminders, I think it should sort them in a "nearest reminders on top" fashion. I can't tell what the current sorting system is.

You should make this suggestion in the Android Product Feedback forum: https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/208-android-product-feedback/

Love the "annotate this image" feature in Evernote! So helpful when taking notes in class because I can snip a picture of the power point lecture, add it into my note and then annotate. This makes it much easier when taking notes on something that his hard to take text notes on (for example, a mathematical formula). 

My only one small beef with the feature is that everytime I annotate an image, it shifts me back to the top of the note and then I have to scroll down to the bottom again.

Thanks!

I recommend simplifying the camera interface for adding photos.  Since the latest upgrade you now have to click the plus sign, click the down arrow, click the camera, and click the Take Photo button.  Sometimes the camera shows up too early and you still have to go through all of these steps. This process previously was two steps which was easy to use. Four steps is an irritant.

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, Steel-RayVin said:

Increase the upload limitations. I have tournament video's that I would like to archive but cannot due to the 200M limitation on my account. 

You might want to reconsider using Evernote as an archive tool.  Large note sizes don't work that well, particularly on the mobile platforms.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Steel-RayVin said:

Increase the upload limitations. I have tournament video's that I would like to archive but cannot due to the 200M limitation on my account. 

Some folks opt to put the videos on another platform, Google Drive, Mega, whatever, and then put a link to the file in EN.  Particularly since there's not any particular search benefit that EN provides for a video's contents.  The link can in the note can suffice.

Hi,

There's a simple feature that will help me a lot if added. I take long notes over periods of months and years and I usually do them on my phone. My problem is that every time I want to add new text to them I have to scroll all the way down to the end of the note. I want evernote to have the option to show the note from the end instead of the beginning or maybe a floating button that gets me to the end right away

Hi,

My solution to this problem is to not add notes at the end of the last note, but to scroll to the top and add my new note there.  Reading from the first date forward is more difficult, but I don't do that very often.

Regards,

• Level 5*
On 2018-02-28 at 8:10 PM, Shahab00x said:

I take long notes over periods of months and years and I usually do them on my phone. My problem is that every time I want to add new text to them I have to scroll all the way down to the end of the note.

You might want to hunt for the keyboard shortcut for bottom of the note; I think it's control-end in Windows

My preference is to avoid long notes.  For my daily journal entries, I create a separate note each day.

Your web app is buggy - I just lost a lot of data (again) because of some error. Please work on fixing it. I would love to be able to use Evernote from my Library Computers...but the online webapp is really frustrating.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, manavk said:

Your web app is buggy - I just lost a lot of data (again) because of some error. Please work on fixing it. I would love to be able to use Evernote from my Library Computers...but the online webapp is really frustrating.

If you have specific issues with the web client, then you should post them in the Evernote Web Feature Request subforum here: https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/234-evernote-web-client/

To continue along the lines of JP Morning's thought - there seems to be an opportunity to cover accidental deletions in ways that may include:

1) Have an option to have the delete-key considered a 'shortcut' that's changeable;

2) Have a general lock/unlock icon.

It seems that having deletions easier to do than creations seems awkward to me and my fumble-fingers in this otherwise great tool/platform.

On 3/23/2015 at 6:18 AM, JP Morning said:

Also, it would be great if there was and option to lock notebook/stack tree (not notes themselves) on the left side of the Windows App so they cannot be moved or deleted (unless the tree is deliberately unlocked) - sometimes I move notebooks by accident while trying to use scroll down/up and it is frustrating to discover your whole notebook was moved by misclick; and when I am reading a note and later click Delete to remove it I sometimes discover I actually wasn't highlighting the note on the right side, but rather some notebook on the left side, which was just deleted.

Edited by Stutterstepper
Clarity of citation

Hiya! A very happy evernote-user here! Two things:

I'm missing the news-recommendation functions, when writing notes - anyway of getting that back / activating it myself?

Wondering if there is some minor fault in the coding for the recent update of  evernote? (or if it just my computer?) Unfortunately I can't catch it on a photo, but whenever I use the function of seeing all the windows I have open on my mac at the same time, the part of evernote showing 'all the notes in the notebook' makes weird images of what is open. (When I try to do a screendump it just turns white - got it on a photo with my phone, but the picture is too big, let me know if you want it).

THANKS FOR A GREAT SYSTEM OTHERWISE!!  

5abb9cfcb0973_Skrmbillede2018-03-28kl_14_39_12.png.8c281332bcf24d1870c1d79c75d81856.png

Hi Guys,

Could you please make the Mac app NOT Bring Self To Front as it boots up?

It does this like 3 times and interrupts other work.

It seems unnecessary to have it do this.

Thank you very much for an otherwise great app and for listening!,

-WL

On 5/14/2015 at 12:15 PM, sfosparky said:

Currently using version 5 client on Windows.

I want COLOR!

■ The ability to color-code notes and notebooks.

■ The ability to choose highlight colors.

■ The abilty to choose the background color of text.

■ The ability to choose a client color scheme other than Mundane Bluegrey

Not just a limited palette of pre-defined colors, but the ability to specify RGB or hex color values.

Seriously, some of the most primitive Windows applications from the 1980s provided colors customizations. Why can't the Evernote desktop client?

Cheers & thanks,

Riley

SFO

I second this request.  At the very least, I really really need different highlight color options.  It's a really easy way to prioritize text throughout a note.  As a Premium user, it's disappointing to me that this original feedback request was generated 3 years ago and we've been patiently waiting. 

I wish it were easier to organize stacks and notebooks. 

I love Evernote, it's a big part of my life. But I wish organizing notebooks would be closer to how macOS's finder works. 

I have hundreds of notebooks. When I go to the Notebooks view, I can only view 8-10 stacks/notebooks. The lists are super huge and take up a ton of space. When I want to organize them, I dread it and usually don't bother. Also, it'd be nice to be able to have more levels of organization than just stacks and notebooks. 

In the macOS finder, I can create as many folders as I want. I can also choose how the lists are displayed, making it super compact or not. It'd be great if Evernote for Mac could move closer to that. 

• Level 5*
36 minutes ago, helloandyhihi said:

I wish organizing notebooks would be closer to how macOS's finder works. 

The Tags attribute works closer to folders in Finder.  The limit on tags is 100,000 and they can be organized into an infinite hierarchy, 

It would be amazing if you could add a clipped webpage or screenshot from the web to the bottom of an existing note instead of creating a new one. It is kind of a lot of steps to get an image clipped from the internet moved to the appropriate note and delete the original one that was created.

Thanks! I love Evernote!

Is there a possible note or certain paragraphs on a note that can be lock and it wont be erase only  you can edit on the main source. For example in Powerpoint wherein there is certain layout that will not be changed only the content.

Problems

1. Im having difficulty  of getting answers from the  questionnaires i made on a note, wherein sometimes it accidentally edit the main questions.

2. Im creating a table oftenly  erased the main title  inside the table created.

Linking to notes different notes seems so crucial to get it right. I know that the feature exists. But it could a lot faster and user-friendly. Bear software has a really cool way to connect to other notes. While writing you can just type "[[" and start writing the name of the note. There will be a drop-down with a suggestion of the titles of your notes in the database. It would be so cool if this feature exists in Evernote. Thanks. 

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, sgkrewe said:

But now I want to paste a link to an entire Notebook instead of particular note. Can we have a 'Copy Internal Link' option on the right-click menu for Notebooks?

What's the purpose of tacking onto this discussion? You posted the feature request linked below; there have been no updates

This is notes app, the text editor pops out to a floating toolbar when editing text color. The edit toolbar is very minimal on evernote, which is disappointment on something used to take notes. Text edit on mac is good example of how you can edit text color without going out to a pop out menu.