(Archived) Can't Quit Evernote - Mac Air

Pasquin

Idea

Hi - hope someone can help and am guessing am being dumb but am REALLY stuck ...

I can't close Evernote and this is stopping me from shutting down my Mac Air. The Quit item in the menu is greyed out, I can't drag it from the bar into Trash, in Finder right-click and Move to Trash does not work - in fact I get a message saying I can't do this because Evernote is open! I know it is, I REALLY want to shut it! I've also tried logging out of Evernote but this doesn't change anything - it just doesn't want to shut and I can't uninstall it either because it's open ...

Am I missing a setting somewhere that just keeps it permanently open come what may - can I shut it, and if not is there any way I can uninstall an open application?

It's like a really bad virus at the moment and my views on Evernote are getting worse by the hour so please help!

19 replies to this idea

Same here, it happens when I'm at university (behind a proxy and with 802.1x key). Sometimes the network is not good (weak signal or router refuses to connect me), and I ended up without connection. In those cases, i get the same behavior as others in this thread.

Hope you can fix it soon!

I'm new to Evernote: downloaded last year but didn't try to use it until yesterday.  Read all previous posts; my force quit was grayed out, the app got stuck in a mode in which it put up maybe 50 windows even as I tried to shut down the computer (option+control+command + eject).  I finally managed to shut the computer down by holding the power button.  I'm not knowledgeable enough to understand previous posts about proxies, etc., but the upside of that is that I'm not using my Mac in any unusual ways.  I also have the app. on my Ipod touch & after reading about syncing, I finally activated that app by signing in.  I saw that it was trying to sync / connect, but it was not successful.  What do I need to do to make this all work?

I can confirm that there are no dialog windows, no prompts, etc.. I also just updated the app from the app store, now im getting this: 

"You might be connecting to a server that is pretending to be 'www.evernote.com' which could put your confidential information at risk."

Seems like you guys are having some serious issues. 

Nope. All clear here. I would check your network settings. Have you configured anything custom? Proxies? Strange NAT configurations?

Here's a google search from that error message: 

About 22,300 results (0.56 seconds) 

Apparently I'm not alone. 

This problem happened to me yesterday, and I had to force quit.
Prior to that, no new note was synchronized (
pressing the sync button nothing happened).

Using EN 5.0.7 on iMac with OSX 10.6.8

No Proxies, not strange NAT, or dialog windows/prompts open

• Level 5

I can confirm that there are no dialog windows, no prompts, etc.. I also just updated the app from the app store, now im getting this: 

"You might be connecting to a server that is pretending to be 'www.evernote.com' which could put your confidential information at risk."

Nope. All clear here. I would check your network settings. Have you configured anything custom? Proxies? Strange NAT configurations?

I was having the same problem (needing to force quit) and found that it wouldn't quit because it needed to sync but couldn't (I hadn't switched off my work proxy settings). Once I turned off proxies, I was able to sync and the program quit without a problem. I'm not suggesting that everyone has the same issues with proxies, but there may be some other reason that you aren't syncing that's holding up the quit.

It would be nice if the software made some sort of mention that it was unable to sync and gave you the option to not sync in order to quit cleanly.

• Level 5

For those of you who "can't quit" it's likely you have an Evernote dialog window open. When a mac application has a dialog open, it won't let you quit. This can be something like an alert box or an update window. I would use the CMD + ~ key to try and switch between your open application's windows. That should help you find the dialog that's preventing you from quitting.

Josh & Evernote, 

This is a serious UX issue from Evernote. Im on a macbook pro retina display running 10.8.3 and the only way I can quit Evernote is by "force quitting". I understand you want to always have processess running to ensure constant syncing between devices. However, not allowing users to close the application using traditional means is a HUGE failure. Please adress this issue, it's an absolute HORRIFIC user experience. 

• Level 5*

Hi. Welcome to the forums. Sometimes apps get hung up (not just Evernote). If it won't close, go to the Apple icon in the top left corner of your screen, choose "force quit," click on Evernote, and you should be fine. As with any computer, you can also just hold down the power button, but this is a last resort.

Archived