(Archived) Want to like Evernote, some questions..

Hi there, I just got an Android smart phone . I really want to like Evernote.. I'd love start putting into it everything I would ever want to remember, but yet one thing troubles me. How do I get all that data out of Evernote if I ever want to choose an alternate service? The longer Evernote exists and people put their irriplaceable reminders and memories in there, it seems more and more likely that Evernote sign an exclusivity agreement with Apple, or with Facebook for example, which are services I do not use. Furthermore, Evernote may not be an independent corporation in ten years, or may simply cease to exist.

For example, I can for see a scenario where Apple pays Evernote a billion dollars to just have the client work with iOS and OS/X..

Is there anything in the Evernote EULA that protects me from things like this, or is my data locked in Evernote forever?

I'm really hoping there is a good answer to this because I do like Evernote and would like to use it. However, if the information I keep can be used against me at some point then it is all just smoke and mirrors.

THanks.

• Level 5*

Hi there, I just got an Android smart phone . I really want to like Evernote.. I'd love start putting into it everything I would ever want to remember, but yet one thing troubles me. How do I get all that data out of Evernote if I ever want to choose an alternate service? The longer Evernote exists and people put their irriplaceable reminders and memories in there, it seems more and more likely that Evernote sign an exclusivity agreement with Apple, or with Facebook for example, which are services I do not use. Furthermore, Evernote may not be an independent corporation in ten years, or may simply cease to exist.

For example, I can for see a scenario where Apple pays Evernote a billion dollars to just have the client work with iOS and OS/X..

Is there anything in the Evernote EULA that protects me from things like this, or is my data locked in Evernote forever?

I'm really hoping there is a good answer to this because I do like Evernote and would like to use it. However, if the information I keep can be used against me at some point then it is all just smoke and mirrors.

THanks.

Hi. Welcome to the forums. Evernote's policies about your data are clear: it is yours, it is protected, and it is portable (http://blog.evernote.com/2011/03/24/evernote%E2%80%99s-three-laws-of-data-protection/). In other words, you have no worries!

Wow, thanks! This is what I was after:

Our desktop software lets you export all of your notes and content in human-readable HTML as well as a fully documented machine-readable XML format. We also have a full, free API that lets you access all of your data.

That's perfect, because it will be in a format that I can do something with. Thanks!

• Level 5*

Wow, thanks! This is what I was after:

Our desktop software lets you export all of your notes and content in human-readable HTML as well as a fully documented machine-readable XML format. We also have a full, free API that lets you access all of your data.

That's perfect, because it will be in a format that I can do something with. Thanks!

Glad I could help. I am even happier that Evernote recognizes the need for these features :)

Archived