(Archived) Product/Enhancment Suggestion - export to PDF/EPUB

jaffab

Hey guys,

Here is a suggestion for a new Evernote product or enhancement...

The ability to save an evernote Notebook, stack or keyword to either (both) PDF or EPUB format.

For all of us that save away things like receipies, project ideas, 'how tos' on different subjects - it would provide the ability to grab all items in the selected notebook (stack or keyword) and export them into a format which could be read on an iPAD, kindle, tablet etc.

With the ability to randomize the order, and limit the selection to x items.

So for instance, you create a notebook for a hobby (say photography ideas for landscape photos), and post items from magazines and the web and emails etc to evernote to the notebook - but you never get round to reading them. But, with the ability to save them all (or a random selection), you can read them on the plane, train or whatever.

Yes, I know what you are thinking - "BUT evernote makes them available and you can read in evernote" - BUT, this makes it portable (in a standard format, where you dont need evernote or a net connection) and the random element adds a twist..... "cant think of what to have for meals next week - just export 5 random from your meals receipe notbook and there are 5 ideas".

what do you think???

• Level 5*

I think that Evernote *likes* it when you use their clients. That being said, you can export to HTML, if you wish. Perhaps there are 3rd-party tool available to convert HTML to <your favorite output format>.

Understood they want them to use Evernote - But.....

Saving to HTML and then using a 3rd party product to write to epub/pdf is going outside of Evernote. Whereas an Evernote generated 'tidy' generated document is sort of staying inside of Evernote with some nice Evernote branding etc.

I did try exporting from Evernote to HTML and then used Calbre (free) to convert to epub - and whilst it worked - it looked pretty crummy - becuase the HTML produced by Evernote is as basic (in terms of formatting) as it gets - ie no <LARGE> or anything around headers etc.

Hence, why the suggestion.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I personally would love to be able to export my Stacks into full PDF documents with table of content and all. I am a university student and I use evernote for my notes. Having my them close at hand in a PDF form once my semester is over, would be great. I know I could keep them in Evernote itself but I'd rather have them in backed up somewhere.

I have tried ePub for iPhones, and quite frankly, it did not work for me. It took forever to load one notebook and did not actually give me an end product. On top of that I am on android now. So some development for the android system would be great!

thanks

• Level 5*

I personally would love to be able to export my Stacks into full PDF documents with table of content and all. I am a university student and I use evernote for my notes. Having my them close at hand in a PDF form once my semester is over, would be great. I know I could keep them in Evernote itself but I'd rather have them in backed up somewhere.

I have tried ePub for iPhones, and quite frankly, it did not work for me. It took forever to load one notebook and did not actually give me an end product. On top of that I am on android now. So some development for the android system would be great!

thanks

Hi. Welcome to the forums!

(1) HTML is far superior to PDF for the purposes of backup. It is basically plain text that will be easily readable far into the future, it is backwards compatible, it works on every operating system without the need for special software, and it is less likely to become corrupted over time (I cannot tell you how many PDF files I have seen corrupted -- thank goodness for backups of my backups). I highly recommend you consider exporting your notebooks as HTML.

(2) As for Android, what development are you looking to see? They just put out a beta with major improvements a few days ago.

Hello GrumpyMonkey,

(1) well HTML would not provide me with images inside my notes I believe? I am in art history, so obviously my notes are filled with images that are saved within my evernote note (wow that sound redundant).

I really would like something that would create some sort of interactive table of content instead of having to go through the evernote tree. I have exported my notes in HTML and I did not like the visual at all :(

(2) I am for sure using the evernote for android. I was more referring to some kind of sister app that would create PDFs like on iPhones and iPads. I love their offline books and using evernote it is a plus not to stress about loosing my notes unlike my fellow classmates that save only on their hard drive and USB keys.

• Level 5*

Hello GrumpyMonkey,

(1) well HTML would not provide me with images inside my notes I believe? I am in art history, so obviously my notes are filled with images that are saved within my evernote note (wow that sound redundant).

I really would like something that would create some sort of interactive table of content instead of having to go through the evernote tree. I have exported my notes in HTML and I did not like the visual at all :(

(2) I am for sure using the evernote for android. I was more referring to some kind of sister app that would create PDFs like on iPhones and iPads. I love their offline books and using evernote it is a plus not to stress about loosing my notes unlike my fellow classmates that save only on their hard drive and USB keys.

Hi.

(1) Images display fine in my HTML files. I don't know if they are nice to look at or not. I avoid too much formatting in my notes in general. Evernote gives my notes a nice index file (called index.html), and that works as a table of contents for me. 

(2) Sure, an app to export as pdfs would be fine, but I doubt it will happen. Sorry, it just does not seem likely on the desktop, much less on the mobile. Maybe a third-party developer will do it. I could be wrong, of course. I am just guessing here. I have no inside knowledge. Thinking of the complexity alone makes it seem quite messy. What do you do with notes that have movies, sound files, code files, or any other number of file types? 

• 9 months later...
  • Level 5

Hey guys,

Here is a suggestion for a new Evernote product or enhancement...

The ability to save an evernote Notebook, stack or keyword to either (both) PDF or EPUB format.

For all of us that save away things like receipies, project ideas, 'how tos' on different subjects - it would provide the ability to grab all items in the selected notebook (stack or keyword) and export them into a format which could be read on an iPAD, kindle, tablet etc.

With the ability to randomize the order, and limit the selection to x items.

So for instance, you create a notebook for a hobby (say photography ideas for landscape photos), and post items from magazines and the web and emails etc to evernote to the notebook - but you never get round to reading them. But, with the ability to save them all (or a random selection), you can read them on the plane, train or whatever.

Yes, I know what you are thinking - "BUT evernote makes them available and you can read in evernote" - BUT, this makes it portable (in a standard format, where you dont need evernote or a net connection) and the random element adds a twist..... "cant think of what to have for meals next week - just export 5 random from your meals receipe notbook and there are 5 ideas".

what do you think???

You could try this app: http://appcenter.evernote.com/de/app/everepub/iphone

Archived