Organizing Linked Notebooks

ms_peck

Hello,

I am a teacher using Evernote for the first time in my classroom. Today I had the students share their notebooks with me, so I am linked with all of them. In my "Linked Notebooks", they are arranged alphabetically, but I would like to arrange them by hour. Is there any way I can do this? Evernote won't let me move the position of the notebooks (at least on the web-based version).

Thanks!

Danielle

• Level 5*

I'm not sure if you mean to sort the Notebooks, or the Notes by hour.

If you mean NBs there is no date or time associated with each NB.

If by "hour" you mean class period, then you could have your students rename their NBs using a naming convention of something like "HH_Student".

So, for a class that starts at 9am and a student named John Smith, the Notebook name would be "09_SmithJohn".

Please note that this alone will NOT allow you to find all NBs or Notes for a given student.

Unfortunately, Evernote imposes a severe limitation on Searches. You can search ONLY in one Shared NB at a time.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

• Level 5*

I'm not sure if you mean to sort the Notebooks, or the Notes by hour.

If you mean NBs there is no date or time associated with each NB.

If by "hour" you mean class period, then you could have your students rename their NBs using a naming convention of something like "HH_Student".

So, for a class that starts at 9am and a student named John Smith, the Notebook name would be "09_SmithJohn".

Please note that this alone will NOT allow you to find all NBs or Notes for a given student.

Unfortunately, Evernote imposes a severe limitation on Searches. You can search ONLY in one Shared NB at a time.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

To build on what JM said, Evernote allows you to sort your notes various ways, but notebooks only appear one way: alphabetical. I assume that by hours you mean the class periods (hour 1, hour 2, etc.). This is not possible, though I wish it were, and many of us have been advocating for manual sorting (sorting in an order that we determine). This would be another use case that would be aided if that feature is added.

Technically speaking, JM is correct that Evernote does not allow you to search all of the shared notebooks you have joined (confusingly called linked notebooks on the Web only), but this feature is coming soon (announced last month). If you are on a Mac, and if you have the native client (the Mac application) installed, you can search through everything (your notes as well as shared ones) using Spotlight (the magnifying glass in the upper right-hand corner of your screen). See my website (http://www.princeton.edu/~cmayo/evernote-spotlight-search.html) for more.

Archived