Default font

DanaM

• Level 5*

Hi. Welcome to the forums. In Windows, I believe you can find the settings in the Tools -> Options menu, and in Mac, I believe it is in your Preferences -> Formatting. I am on the iPad right now, where there is not yet a way to set default fonts or adjust them.

• 2 months later...
  • Level 5*

Please come up with a way to set the default font on iPad - I really dislike the default sans serif font - let me change it!

Yes. A longstanding request. I hope we get the ability to adjust text size and font someday for the default as well as the notes. Notes formatted with monospace fonts as the default on the desktop look pretty awful on the iPad.

• Level 5*

For that matter, I don't think that it's configurable on the Android client either. Not a huge deal to me, but might be nice, I suppose.

It's not something that keeps me up late at night, but for people who have an un-healthy concern for how their text looks, it gets kind of frustrating. We can't change it in iOS, on OSX they took away control over fonts in the center pane, and now the titles of my notes in OSX have a sans-serif font that cannot be changed either. I've got pretty good eyes, but that tiny sans serif font with complicated Chinese characters is getting on my nerves. I'll live with it, but I am hoping to convince the OSX team to give back control, and then I'll get to work on pushing my agenda onto the iOS team. I guess it is good to want things :)

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi. Welcome to the forums. In Windows, I believe you can find the settings in the Tools -> Options menu, and in Mac, I believe it is in your Preferences -> Formatting. I am on the iPad right now, where there is not yet a way to set default fonts or adjust them.

They will write songs about you.

Lol.

It was really pissing me off not being able to work this out.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm having the same issue as marvonj.

EN ignores my default font size. And ctrl + space changes the font size to something larger than my default.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the program and the same issue persists. Installed the latest version as of 4/11/16 version 5.9.9.9 and the note editor is determined to add 2 points over my default point size.

• 4 weeks later...

This needs to be settable at the EN website, and overrideable locally by the Mac, Windows, iOS, and Android clients (but using whatever default was set at the website if nothing more specific was manually set in the client software).  The mess that EN makes in documents is unbelievable.  I edit something in OpenOffice or Google Docs.  Paste it into a new EN note in the Mac client. The font changes. I get to work and open in it EN again, either via the website or the Windows client, and get different fonts yet again. I copy paste from that note into a Word document, and get different fonts again (Helvetica?  Seriously?).  Someone works on it and sends it back to me, probably with further font changes, and I go to integrate the day's editing into to old version at Google Docs, and the text doesn't look anything like what I started with, and at this point is not just different fonts, but different sizes than I started with.

Look: This thing should NEVER change the font size unless explicitly told to do so. It should default to "Web fonts" that virtually everyone already has, and which can be downloaded for free (quietly in the background) if missing.  It should not accept font changes without confirmation when material is pasted in.  If my document is using Verdana (as sans-serif, and by default), Times New Roman as serif font, and Courier New as monospaced (non-proportional), then these are the only fonts it should be using unless I'm warned and agree to accept additional fonts being used.  Take a Web approach to this.  Virtually all browsers come with default fonts and continue using them unless something explicitly overrides it, and any good browser allows the user to prevent such overrides with local settings or local CSS.

• 4 months later...

I have windows install and I changed my font in options to Lucida Console but new notes start with Tahoma still.

I have turned it off and back on again. The options still show Lucida Console but new notes are still starting with Tahoma.

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, B8factor said:

That did the trick. File - Exit does some saves?

Yeah, don't know why but some settings aren't saved unless you File - Exit.  But then some are without a File - Exit.  So it is the go to strategy when something doesn't take.  ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Very interesting topic, is a problem that affects me in my case is a windows phone, and I can not change the default font when viewing share and I do not like and it's annoying ...

I hope to find a solution and to be effective, I do not like having to change the font daily

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Boox, diseño web y posicionamiento en Jerez

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

so when i change the default font for my notes, it doesnt change all of them, only the majority but in saying that, I dont want to go through hundreds of notes trying to find out which ones have not been changed and manually changing them. Is there a way around this? and if there is, even if it requires coding or something I'd happily do it if there were detailed instructions, since I'm really picky about my formatting

• Level 5*

No automation for this of which I am aware.  Best I can advise would be to change them as you see them.  

For those notes where the font did not change, any chance you had changed the font in them?  Changing default font only effects notes that are already default, to the best of my understanding.  So any modified notes won't change.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, csihilling said:

Changing default font only effects notes that are already default, to the best of my understanding.  So any modified notes won't change.

That's right -- text that's not explicitly been formatted with a different font from the default change if you change the default. Of course, notes from other sources (e.g., the web, email, Word, etc.) may have explicit fonts on everything, so all bets are off there.

• 8 months later...
  • Level 5*
13 hours ago, Samrath said:

Hi, 

Is there a way to set a default font for a specific notebook without it applying to all my notes/notebooks?

Not to my knowledge.  The font set in settings is universal to the EN on the device.

• 1 year later...

As my eyesight gets worse with age, font size for notes and for the app as well, becomes extremely important.

I gave up on many other note taking apps -- and would happily continue my Evernote subscription past trial -- if the fonts were adjustable. At the very least, the notes themselves.  So far, for the Mac it isn't too bad using the font preference. There are some aspects of the UI that are using very tiny fonts, but overall I can at least read my notes.  Switching over to my iPhone, which has Dynamic Type and looks great in many iOS apps, is very hard to read, however. Apple has promoted this accessibility feature for years, and is testament to how important this is. Many, many people would like to read their notes without having to put on reading glasses.

Apps like Ulysses, Bear, iA Writer, and many others on iOS deal with this marvelously. I'd prefer Evernote, however, for the cross-platform and browser support. 

Please at least offer a way to make fonts bigger, if not totally customized for size and style.

Archived