(Archived) How can I determine how much space my notes use?

gatorbrit

I think the only way to determine that is to install either the Mac or Windows desktop, be sure all your notes are synced to your desktop, then check the size on your computer. This would be an estimate, if you plan on having all your notes in offline notebooks on your iPad. For notes that are not in offline notebooks (a premium account feature), only the note header information gets downloaded to the device & takes up minimal space.

• Level 5*

I think the only way to determine that is to install either the Mac or Windows desktop, be sure all your notes are synced to your desktop, then check the size on your computer. This would be an estimate, if you plan on having all your notes in offline notebooks on your iPad. For notes that are not in offline notebooks (a premium account feature), only the note header information gets downloaded to the device & takes up minimal space.

Hi. Not exactly. Settings -> Offline notebooks will take you to a dialogue box showing what it would be if you downloaded all of your notes. In my case, it says "Download all notes (13.5 GB)." Why my account takes up more than 25 GB on my Mac hard drive, though, is a mystery that I am sorting out with customer support (probably has something to do with shared notebooks I have joined). Technically speaking, BNF is probably correct, because the shared notebooks get download into your desktop account (not your iPad), so the real footprint on your desktop drive may be larger than you think, if you have joined shared notebooks. However, if you are just interested in the notes in your account (the ones you can download onto the iPad), the technique above will work.

Hi. Not exactly. Settings -> Offline notebooks will take you to a dialogue box showing what it would be if you downloaded all of your notes. In my case, it says "Download all notes (13.5 GB).

Cool! Although my iPhone & iPad are both 32 gigs, I've pretty much abandoned offline notebooks since my EN database is now over 30 gigs & growing by leaps & bounds daily.. :o (And I certainly don't want any of the notes feeling left out/neglected!) So either that's a new dialog or else I don't remember it. Either way, nice to know it will show you the full amount to download.

• Level 5*

Hi. Not exactly. Settings -> Offline notebooks will take you to a dialogue box showing what it would be if you downloaded all of your notes. In my case, it says "Download all notes (13.5 GB).

Cool! Although my iPhone & iPad are both 32 gigs, I've pretty much abandoned offline notebooks since my EN database is now over 30 gigs & growing by leaps & bounds daily.. :o (And I certainly don't want any of the notes feeling left out/neglected!) So either that's a new dialog or else I don't remember it. Either way, nice to know it will show you the full amount to download.

It's relatively new. You and I are not really good candidates for this, though, because to download your entire account (I tried it), you need to set aside a week or more. The download speed is, frankly speaking, quite slow, and reminds me of the old dial up days. Heck, I almost feel like pressing play on the tape player for my old Timex Sinclair just to pass the time :)

I use offline notes on occasion (http://www.princeton.edu/~cmayo/evernote-notebook.html), but not as much as I thought I would, because I rarely have the time to leave my iPad sitting unused (Evernote on, downloading my stuff).

It's relatively new. You and I are not really good candidates for this, though, because to download your entire account (I tried it), you need to set aside a week or more. The download speed is, frankly speaking, quite slow, and reminds me of the old dial up days. Heck, I almost feel like pressing play on the tape player for my old Timex Sinclair just to pass the time :)

I use offline notes on occasion (http://www.princeton...e-notebook.html), but not as much as I thought I would, because I rarely have the time to leave my iPad sitting unused (Evernote on, downloading my stuff).

Yes, that's why I rarely use EN on my iDevices. If I know I need/want to access something quickly, I put it in Dropbox and/or take a photo of it, so it's in my camera roll. If I need to get something I didn't plan for, I normally use Logmein on my iDevice to pull it up in Evernote from my computer at home (on 24/7). In the event I'm not able to reach my home computer & really need something, I then allow plenty of time ( ;) ) and then will use EN on the iDevice. Then I will usually take a screen cap so I don't have to call it up again. :huh: Of course, as you probably know from my other posts, I do use Fastever & FastEver SNap daily to feed data into my EN account from my iDevices, rather than use the EN app.

• 1 year later...

Archived