REQUEST: Shared Notebook Limit

MathTeacher9

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this has ever been posted or brought up, so here goes. I'm a teacher and I use Evernote with my 50 students. I have students create and share notebooks with me, and I link them onto my account on my Mac application. I found out today that I can only link a maximum of 100 shared notebooks. This is very frustrating, as I want to have 150 notebooks (3 subjects) shared with me. It is a huge hassle to have the notebooks bookmarked, or to keep the invites in my email to access them.

Does anyone have any good ideas about how to get past this hassle? Is there any possibility that Evernote will extend these limits? The limit applies for both free and premium accounts. I love using this tool to go paperless in my classroom, but this is a difficult limit for me. Any help would be appreciated.

Would it be feasible for the students to have one notebook each and use three tags (that you would define) to indicate the subjects? This would require some discipline on their part, but good practice to turn them into efficient Evernoters of the future!

• Level 5*

3 notebooks - 1 for each subject

Each student has a unique tag

I wouldn't want to manage 100 or more notebooks myself. One of the problems (at least, from my perspective) with the current Evernote implementation is that notebooks are for collaboration, and in educational environments you may have that, but you also have work that is meant to be private (papers, homework, tests, etc.). Ideally, we could use tags to share (as we currently do with notebooks) and we could mark those as private (like a shared notebook to individuals) so that everything could then be inside a shared notebook as well, but safely unseen as needed. In other words, I think embedded sharing (shared tags inside of shared notebooks) would be a nice development.

But, working with the app we have now, I think a notebook for every student is a little difficult. The solution I have suggested in the past is for teachers and students to email the notes back and forth. This loses the shared aspect, but it enables students to email assignments directly into a specific notebook with tags, and the instructor can do the same thing. The benefit of this is that both parties get to keep records of the learning in their external brains.

• 3 weeks later...

Just found out I've reached the same limit. Can't view more than 100 shared notebooks

It is a bit frustrating, because I didn't know. Still can't find EN informing me about this maximum...

However, it can be done the other way around. As a premium user you can share all of your 250 notebooks. And your students can edit them.

Managing 100+ EN notebooks is an answer for managing 100+ physical portfolio's. It's still work tough.

I do believe it will save me work and time.

Above that, my students are able to build their own knowledgebase of physics. Quite easily. That, I like!

• 2 weeks later...

Here is what I do...

I have about 125 high school chemistry students using EN (free) for their portfolios. Students collect artifacts (photos of lab set-ups, videos of presentations, lab reports, etc.) using EN. They do not share their notebooks with me. When I want to check their progress I simply ask them to log in and show me what they have in their notebook. Near the end of the term they create another notebook, copy selected artifacts to it, write reflections, make the notebook PUBLIC, and share the link with me. These public notebooks become their presentation portfolios.

I do not try to use EN for document management. Submitting assignments, commenting, grading, and revising is best done with GoogleDocs, I believe. I have students get their documents into GoogleDocs and share the file with "anyone with the link" and allow anyone to "comment". I set up a simple "assignment submission form" in GDocs where students can simply enter their name, class section, and paste the link to their document. I can then comment on it, grade it, see the revision history, etc. It works great. I get all 125 student's assignments on one spreadsheet page with links to their documents. I do not have to deal with hundreds of emails with attachments!

Using both GDocs and EN caused some initial confusion for students. However, as a chemistry teacher I need Google's spreadsheets, graphs, and advanced collaboration. Evernote, as we know, excels at archiving. Two tools—the best of both worlds.

Tim Watters

• 5 months later...

I'm new to the group, but have used EN for a few months now with my students.  What I have done is create a "handouts" notebook and everything I give to the students gets put in there.  I create a public link and message all students the link when they need it.  Depending on the assignment, they can answer or complete the assignment in Evernote and email the note to me or use a word processor to do the same process.  I create classes in google drive to sort everything by class.  It's then easy to check to see who has turned in assignments or not and when, and I can grade everything from there.  Evernote holds my lesson plans and activities for each class, and drive is my depository for the students to give their work electronically.  That's how I get around the 100 shared limit.   

• 4 weeks later...

Archived