(Archived) Evernote Won't Sync

lwgray

Idea

I get this response every time I try to sync....

Evernote is unable to connect with the Evernote Service. This may be due to a network problem or service maintenance. Please try again later. If enabled, automatic synchronization will resume once the Service becomes available.

My version of Evernote is 3.3.0 and it says it is the latest version. I have preferences set to load any beta version available. Apparently there isn't.

So how can I get this to Sync?

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

I recommend the following:

1. Submit an Evernote Support Ticket

1. If the behavior you describe occurs often, then it is a bug
    2. EN Support is best able to provide you with resolutions specific to your situation
    3. Avoid Evernote Betas
      1. The recent Betas have had lots of bugs, some of which result in loss of data
      2. IMO, none of the new features in the Betas are worth the risk

• Level 5*

I recommend the following:

1. Submit an Evernote Support Ticket

1. If the behavior you describe occurs often, then it is a bug
    2. EN Support is best able to provide you with resolutions specific to your situation
    3. Avoid Evernote Betas
      1. The recent Betas have had lots of bugs, some of which result in loss of data
      2. IMO, none of the new features in the Betas are worth the risk

I do not recall any of the betas for Mac resulting in data loss JM. As long as you maintain regular backups, you should not have any problems with it. That said, I do not think there is a beta available at this moment (I am away from my Mac today and cannot check). Otherwise, I think JM's advice is good. Support will sort you out. Unfortunately, you may need to wait until tomorrow, because it is the weekend. Are you working with the website or appstore version? If you have the time, and really need to get this resolved ASAP, you could try uninstalling the app and re-installing from the location you have not tried yet. I haven't done it myself (I prefer the website version), but it seems like a possibility.

• Level 5*

I do not recall any of the betas for Mac resulting in data loss JM. As long as you maintain regular backups, you should not have any problems with it.

I think that if you will check the EN Win, EN Mac, and EN iOS forums you will find users who have reported data loss in either the Beta threads, or other threads.

In any case, data loss by Evernote should be a very rare case. That used to be the case. But starting about 3 months ago things started changing. I suspect most users don't do daily backups, an even if they do you can still lose data due to an Evernote failure.

GM, have you ever restored an Evernote note from your Mac Time Machine backup?

As I understand it, it is a complicated process. You can't just restore a few files, you have to disconnect from the Internet, identify the lost Notes (how do you identify them in the backup?), restore the lost Notes, export the restored notes, and then reimport then back into Evernote. Then you can sync with the Evernote cloud. Whew! What a convoluted process.

Please tell me I'm wrong, that it is easier than this.

• Level 5*

Yes. It is rather easy. As I recall, I made changes in a note I didn't like, and I just used Spotlight, located the note, copied, and pasted. I'll give it a test later. The notes are not easily browsable in the folder, but as long as you know something about the content, you can track it down with Spotlight :)

Archived