(Archived) Evernote Crashing + Won't Let Me Open a Support Ticket

GreenGlasses

Idea

I use Evernote on a MacBook with Safari -- everything was going great and I've been enjoying Evernote until early this morning when it just keeps crashing. I tried to start and Support Ticket and got all of the way through the process but when I went to submit the Ticket I got a different error saying "Platform is required". I have no idea what this means and no idea now how to contact Evernote support since I can't create a ticket. Is there an email address to which I can send the plea for help and the error reports?

I'm new at this, thank you so much if anyone can help,

Green Glasses in NYC

11 replies to this idea

Your browser may be blocking the Platform field from showing up.

Try selecting "I have another problem not listed here" and then "Other" which should allow you to enter your ticket.

• Level 5*

Your browser may be blocking the Platform field from showing up.

What causes this?

Seems like submittal of a support ticket should be as fool proof as possible.

The user may already be in "crisis mode" with a serious problem, and may not be computer savy, or may just have their brower locked down for security purposes.

I honestly don't know. I haven't seen it happen myself, but our support form is written in Java (which is very standard for submission forms), so it could be that they don't have Java enabled on their browser, or that there was a "blip" when they made a selection that didn't refresh the page, or they're using some non-standard browser that just doesn't react the way normal browsers do. Could be tons of things. I just am giving the most simply way I can think of to submit a ticket.

• Level 5*

I honestly don't know. I haven't seen it happen myself, but our support form is written in Java (which is very standard for submission forms),

I don't know how common use of Java is for support ticket forms (Javascript is very common), but you might consider simplifying the form. Maybe it can be done just using HTML5.

In any case, you can detect if the user has disabled the required browser feature, and display an appropriate error msg, rather than displaying a confusing error msg.

The Support form is actually hosted on our Support Solution provider (the people whose software we use to run our Support department) - we don't have much control over it (actually, none, other than the fields themselves.) So, any issues that users have with it I let them know to see if they can fix it.

• Level 5*

I honestly don't know. I haven't seen it happen myself, but our support form is written in Java (which is very standard for submission forms),

I don't know how common use of Java is for support ticket forms (Javascript is very common), but you might consider simplifying the form. Maybe it can be done just using HTML5.

I just did a little QA for you, since I know you guys are strapped for QA techs. ;)

I disabled both Java and Javascript in FF 14 Mac, and tried to submit a ticket.

The form appeared, but the submit button at the bottom did nothing.

So, I enabled only Javascript, and tried again.

This time the form worked, including showing the Platform field.

So, Javascript is required for your Support form to work. Java is not required.

The Support form is actually hosted on our Support Solution provider (the people whose software we use to run our Support department) - we don't have much control over it (actually, none, other than the fields themselves.) So, any issues that users have with it I let them know to see if they can fix it.

While you may not have direct control, I would think that as a well known client you would have considerable influence over the service they provide. If not then maybe you should consider changing providers.

But really, why do you need to outsource support form? It's really not that hard. Since you develop the EN Web client you clearly have the expertise. Frankly, I'm not that impressed with their form/process. You could do much better.

It's not just the form, its the backend routing that goes along with it. Its called a CRM, and it's fairly standard in large-scale support enterprise.

And forgive my typo, I did mean Javascript before.

• Level 5*

Thanks all for responding. I'm not experienced enough to understand all of this. So, I'm going to try reaching Evernote support by phone. But thanks again!

Hi Green Glasses. I do not know what might be wrong with Safari in your case (I have submitted forms just fine through the browser on my Mac), but you might find it easier to just download a different browser and contact Evernote through it. I recommend Chrome. If you have a smartphone or other such device, you can go through there as well. Also, if you are a Premium member, Evernote has chat support, and they are quite friendly people.

Archived