(Archived) Divide Notebook into Sections .... or tabs

larryfrommissouri

Idea

I'm new to Evernote, but have read many help docs and searched for an answer to my question ... can't find it ...

I'm starting a grad program and after reading many reviews, settled on Evernote to keep track of everything. My question involves set-up.

I would like the Stack to be the group of courses, or all the semester courses, etc.

Then each course would be a Notebook .... BUT, I would also like for each Notebook to be divided into sections, such as "Syllabus, Book Reports, Analysis Papers, Quizzes, Class Notes, etc.

Then, within each of those Sections would be all the appropriate Notes.

Is there a way to do this?

thanks,

larry

2 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi Larry. Welcome to Evernote and the forums!

I am a graduate student myself, so have lots to say, but no time at the moment to say it. Please see my shared notebook (in my signature) for my approach. However, there are also some great things you can do with tags and notebooks. I'll post a bit later when I can. Until then, I am sure many users will post with their suggestions, which may well be better for you than mine.

• Level 5*

I'm new to Evernote, but have read many help docs and searched for an answer to my question ... can't find it ...

I'm starting a grad program and after reading many reviews, settled on Evernote to keep track of everything. My question involves set-up.

I would like the Stack to be the group of courses, or all the semester courses, etc.

Then each course would be a Notebook .... BUT, I would also like for each Notebook to be divided into sections, such as "Syllabus, Book Reports, Analysis Papers, Quizzes, Class Notes, etc.

Then, within each of those Sections would be all the appropriate Notes.

Is there a way to do this?

thanks,

larry

Hi again. There is a 250 notebook limit, and notebooks can only be one level deep (a stack and then notebooks inside), so I wouldn't recommend notebooks alone as a longterm solution. As you saw on my website, I have no tags and only a handful of notes. The system works really well, because of Evernote's search capabilities, and theway they enable you to filter notes with searches (the filter stays in place as you move around).

What about a notebook for each semester, and tags for each class?

Notebook:

2012 fall (start with the year to get the notebooks in alphabetical order)

Tags:

his501-readings (put pdfs of readings and notes on them here)

his501-handouts (put syllabus, etc here)

his501-papers

his501-classes

bio625-readings

bio625-handouts

bio625-papers

bio625-classes

When you want to browse your class notes from one, just put tag:bio625-classes into the search field. Would this work for you?

Archived